Holy heck, am I undereating by that much?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER!!! ALMONDS!!! AVACADO!!!

I wish my problem was not eating enough! Sheesh!

LOL! I'm so with angela on this one :)
  • Night_hawker5000
    Options
    Ya i think for lunch (i go to subway everday), Ill start getting a foot long. That will double my lunch calories to 700 (if I get cheese) and just split the meal up. Eat one half, then an hour later eat the other half.

Ill have to eat maybe some cheese and fruits in the morning. Ill have to start adding in potatoes or something with dinner.

That just seems like an absurd ammount of calories to have to eat....Im just plain no that hungry :(

Thats way too much sodium..probably a days worth in just subway.....eat a bunch of healthy snacks....try eating six 300 calorie meals through out the day.....having your stomach shrink will help when you get to you goal weight.....eating a foot long in one hour will keep it stretched out
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice on the Eat More to Weigh Less group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh great idea, forgot about the replenishing drinks. I am gonna get some protein mix. Throw in a protein shake between meals. That will pop another 300 calories. per drink.

IMHO unless you are not getting enough protein or heavy lifting to put on muscle protein mix and protein shakes would be a waste of calories and a waste of money for you.

That is one of the reasons I like chocolate milk so much because it's cheaper and works just as well for recovery as any protein shake.

My 2 cents.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I seem to have been doing this weight loss *kitten* backwards.

I also joined the eat more to lose more group and found a lot of great reading.

From there I calculated my TDEE (5'9", 293 lbs, 31 years old, male) and its

TDEE: 3942 CALORIES!. (Insanity 6 days a week)

BMR: 2550.66 Calories

So my goal will be 2800-3000 calories on the days I work out, and 2500 on the days I dont. That sounds crazy high

I went to the store and picked up a bunch of stuff:

4lbs of Protein Powder
    Lots of Chobani Greek Yogurt (non-fat)
    Peanut butter
    Planters low sodium peanuts (one of my vices )
    Low Sugar Grape jam
    Cheeses (to sprinkle on my steamed veggies and have with my breakfast)
    Sweet potatoes
    Bananas
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Lean Pork
    Ground Chuck
    More chicken
    Low sodium soups
    Wheat bread

Gonna up the calorie count and see how things go!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I seem to have been doing this weight loss *kitten* backwards.

So my goal will be 2800-3000 calories on the days I work out, and 2500 on the days I dont. That sounds crazy high

4lbs of Protein Powder
    Peanut butter
    Low Sugar Grape jam
    Sweet potatoes
    Bananas
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Lean Pork
    Ground Chuck
    More chicken
    Low sodium soups
    Wheat bread

Sounds great! Glad you joined the group too- great bunch of folks there :) PS- if lightly salted peanuts are a vice for you, then you're going to do just fine lol .
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, day 1 down:

Morning Star - Original Sausage Patties-Veggie Patties, 1 patty

Thomas' Hearty Grain Whole Wheat English Muffin - English Muffin 100% Whole Wheat, 1 whole wheat muffin

Chobani Greek Yogurt - Strawberry-Banana Low-Fat, 6 oz

Kraft Deli Fresh - Mozzerella Cheese Slice, 1 slice
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    Oh great idea, forgot about the replenishing drinks. I am gonna get some protein mix. Throw in a protein shake between meals. That will pop another 300 calories. per drink.

Great tips guys.

But my question....does that seem high? It all seems so counter intuitive to losing weight.

Add peanut butter and cooked oatmeal or fruit and yogurt or any number of things to your smoothies/shakes to add calories to them! The skies the limit when it comes to protein shakes.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    Hey Guys,

4lbs of Protein Powder
    Peanut butter
    Low Sugar Grape jam
    Sweet potatoes
    Bananas
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Lean Pork
    Ground Chuck
    More chicken
    Low sodium soups
    Wheat bread

2500 still seems too low....even for a non workout day. I eat 2260 and I am not a tall man. See how you do on that number, but if you aren't losing, I would up to at least TDEE -20% Also, I would probably eat more for breakfast.....actually, I DO eat more for breakfast! You can check out my diary if you want ideas.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    damn i just finished dinner....off to go forage for some more food.

I have been suffering the same problem. I started eating more meals more often. "snacks" are basically 300-400 calorie meals. So basically that means I am eating 6 to 7 meals a day and I still seem to need to forage to fill in the extra calories.

I would eat junk food to fill some of that in but that stuff is so high in fat it throws the numbers way off. It is more challenging than I thought it would be. It is like walking a tight rope trying to end the day with a complete goal and the numbers balanced.
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

So I just signed up for Fitbit and MFP. Well anyways it says I am supposed to eat 1880 calories a day before exercise.(and thats after setting that I want to lose 2lbs per week).

After my hours of Insanity not it says I gained an extra 600 calories today (today was pure cardio and cardio abs).

So at the end of the day I have 1313 calories left over to hit my target..... how in the heck can I eat 2500 calories in one day without some form of junkfood...I dont have that much time to devote to eating!

Yesterday I had 720 calories, today ~1200.

Just for an FYI this is what I ate today:

Breakfast = Wheat English muffin + a morning star veggie patty
    Lunch = 6" Double Turkey + chesse on wheat sandwich from Subway + a bag of Jalapeno chips
    Dinner = 1 chicken breast, 1 cup steamed white rice and 2 cups of steamed broccoli

Snack = 3.5 cups Air popped popcorn

Any suggestions?

thats a ton of food to eat in one day if its health food. Id have to eat 80 cups of broccoli to get there lol

I dont really think thats a lot of food...I'd add more snacks throughout the day
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    OP - Great job taking charge of your health and doing it the right way.

MFP members - You guys are AMAZING! All of the support, the fantastic advice and encouragement you give other members is worth its weight in gold. Good job!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    omg are you serious? so easy to eat those calories...peanut butter, tuna, chicken breasts, oats, whey protein, 1% or 2% milk, eggs, bacon, whole grain bread and pastas, bananas....and that's all the healthy food that came to me
  • Daknar
    Daknar Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to eat all the calories you burn. I am typically about 700-1500 calories in the minus on the days that I exercise. Just keep tracking and if you feel famished eat some healthy foods but don't feel like you have to eat all the calories you are burning. Many of the calories counts are figured out by the amount of heat or energy is expelled by each piece of food. Each of our bodies will have different metabolic rates. When I ride my bike for 30 miles plus it says I burn 2500 calories and if I ate that and the 1578 calories I want to keep myself to if I don't exercise I would turn into a balloon. Listen to your body and just keep tracking even if you have a day that you binge don't worry so much about the amount of calories just track it so you are aware of what you did eat and get back on the wagon the next day. Consistancy is the key to understanding your body and how much food you will actually burn when you exercise. Also as you get in better shape you will actually use food more efficiently and burn a few less calories per minute of exercise than you did when you weren't in wonderful shape but your body will burn more calories when it is just sitting there because you will have more lean muscle mass. Good luck and keep going.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Just for an FYI this is what I ate today:

Breakfast = Wheat English muffin + a morning star veggie patty
    Lunch = 6" Double Turkey + chesse on wheat sandwich from Subway + a bag of Jalapeno chips
    Dinner = 1 chicken breast, 1 cup steamed white rice and 2 cups of steamed broccoli

Snack = 3.5 cups Air popped popcorn

I suggest add more dairy & protein rich foods especially in your breakfast such as eggs & milk. Also add higher calorie items like avocado & nuts that are a good source of healthy fats & can make excellent snack foods, just don't overeat them.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    omg are you serious? so easy to eat those calories...peanut butter, tuna, chicken breasts, oats, whey protein, 1% or 2% milk, eggs, bacon, whole grain bread and pastas, bananas....and that's all the healthy food that came to me

This doesn't come so easily to a lot of people, including new ones to this lifestyle change. Most of us have spent years, even our lifetime eating the "wrong" foods and gaining weight. Hard habits are hard to change but we're doing it one meal at a time. I have been doing this since November 2011, and STILL have to ask someone (or Google) what healthy foods that are high in calories.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    i eat every 2 hours during the day... and greek yogurt is AWESOME! Throw in some natural granola....and its like a dessert...it funny ow it works out...when you are doing what you think is great to loose the weight, you are actually sabatoging yourself by not eating enough... I have been there this week too! Peanut Butter is a great friend...as well as eggs and avocados.....
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Mike--how many calories are in that breakfast?

Here's a typical breakfast for me (when I eat breakfast instead of a workout and then an 800 calorie or so lunch):

1/2 c. oats
    1 c. milk (I use almond)
    1 c. berries
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    *all mixed together. Total calories: 420.

And that's IF I decide against having my egg concoction on the side that consists of egg whites (and a whole egg now and then), peppers, spinach, and chopped broccoli, topped with cheese.

If I can do it, you can do it. We didn't get into this position (needing to lose weight) by having any trouble putting away the food. If I can sit down and eat a footlong subway, you can too. Whole wheat, turkey breast, and whatever fixin's you like, and don't cheat me out of my cheese!! :)

I have no problem eating my 1800-2500 calories a day, and I'm a 145 pound 5'2'' chick...

ps. The jar of peanut butter and the biggest spoon I can find are my two best friends.