"Bro-science" is killing me!

Options
Hi all!

I'll make this as short & sweet as I can. While I'm somewhat 'new' to FMP, I'm not new to researching. When I get intrigued by something I tend to research it like crazy. This site and these message boards hold a LOT of information - and for that I am very grateful... but does anyone else get 'turned off' by all of the 'bro-science'? I do NOT know everything about fitness, nutrition, dieting, clean eating, etc.... and I don't pretend to. In fact, I am sure I know very little... but one thing I also know is that a lot of people get on these boards and confuse plenty of folks by relaying 'tips', 'advice', 'data', and 'research' that is totally false. And I'm not really referring to broad statements like "it's all about calories in calories out"... that may be opinion, etc... but things like "eat more than XX amount of protein in a day and you'll die of hemorrhoids because XYZ article said so" is a bit much, eh?

I'll get off my soapbox now - but I really wish that people would leave their statements as opinion, and not try to relay it as fact (unless they KNOW 100% that it is fact). I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining - I'm simply trying to help... this board could be so much more helpful with out the mumbo-jumbo.

Of course I realize I'm just one person... lol.. and clearly I can't change the boards - but I figured I'd give it a shot!

Thanks for reading!! {{Please note that I ignore ignorant and negative comments... but feel free to post whatever you'd like in response!}}

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If you don't want bro-science, you're at the wrong place. There are some folks here who focus on the science, but they are vastly outnumbered.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

Says it right at the bottom of the page. You're on a public forum you know. It's bound to happen.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a practical man. I dont believe in theories. I believe in eating in moderation till I feel full. I believe in working out. I believe THAT is the key to losing weight. If I'm spending 100 hours a week reading on theory crafting and not really working out..then all that knowledge is basically a waste

Edit: In case my point is unclear. Stop arguing and start moving!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Mostly, you get what you pay for.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me personally, all the research in the world still doesn't necessarily apply, KWIM? Some people are going to do better doing one thing, and other people are going to benefit from doing something else. What works for me (currently: eating as much raw vegan as possible -- and at other points in my life, being a meat eater was best for my health, go fig) may not work for someone else. Our goals and motivations are different, our genetics are different. Nutrition science is not one-size fits all, as much as it claims to be.

When it comes to MFP: Take what you like and leave the rest ;-)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Science, "bro science," religion, politics and just about any thing and every thing will always have some thing or some one that disagrees with whatever it is. Science is the systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation. Knowledge is the fact or state of knowing; the perception of fact or truth; clear and certain mental apprehension. Perception is the act or faculty of apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.(dictionary.com)

My point is, people perceive and seek their own definitions of what they consider to be true, that in fact I believe is the meaning to life. To seek an answer to the ultimate question. The answer is the question the question is the answer.

People will always be know it alls and people will always be there to tell that know it all that they know more than they know about whatever it is they know.

Back to point... Wait what was my point again ?

Oh yeah.

It is the internet. Hopefully ones cognitive skills are as such that the advice they see and read is used or discarded on the basis of their own survival. If you are too stupid to understand that some advice is harmful then quite frankly they probably did not understand your post or my response to your post and just let them be. Let nature sort it out. If they believe consuming high amounts of steroids and proteins and then running the Boston Marathon is a great idea, let Darwin be the judge of that.
  • CaramelBeauty0
    Options
    When it comes to MFP: Take what you like and leave the rest ;-)

@barefoot - Love that! Thanks!
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    If that were the case, then all the marketed dieting schemes would work, and people wouldn't go round and round with them, before finally realizing that it's calories in vs. calories out.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If that were the case, then all the marketed dieting schemes would work, and people wouldn't go round and round with them, before finally realizing that it's calories in vs. calories out.

Hence, *mostly*.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Yeah that idiom does not really apply to the fitness/nutrition industry. Way too many con-artists/fraudulent supplemental companies
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'll make this as short & sweet as I can. While I'm somewhat 'new' to FMP, I'm not new to researching. When I get intrigued by something I tend to research it like crazy. This site and these message boards hold a LOT of information - and for that I am very grateful... but does anyone else get 'turned off' by all of the 'bro-science'? I do NOT know everything about fitness, nutrition, dieting, clean eating, etc.... and I don't pretend to. In fact, I am sure I know very little... but one thing I also know is that a lot of people get on these boards and confuse plenty of folks by relaying 'tips', 'advice', 'data', and 'research' that is totally false. And I'm not really referring to broad statements like "it's all about calories in calories out"... that may be opinion, etc... but things like "eat more than XX amount of protein in a day and you'll die of hemorrhoids because XYZ article said so" is a bit much, eh?

I'll get off my soapbox now - but I really wish that people would leave their statements as opinion, and not try to relay it as fact (unless they KNOW 100% that it is fact). I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining - I'm simply trying to help... this board could be so much more helpful with out the mumbo-jumbo.

Of course I realize I'm just one person... lol.. and clearly I can't change the boards - but I figured I'd give it a shot!

Thanks for reading!! {{Please note that I ignore ignorant and negative comments... but feel free to post whatever you'd like in response!}}

I don't know man. I mean if you can't trust anonymous strangers on the internet, who can you trust?
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are really saying. Something to the effect of: I am upset that there is alot of idiots out there spouting conflicting information.

My advice: WELCOME to the INTERNET!!! YOU MUST BE NEW!!!:huh:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    gotta love the bro science
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Meh, you gotta take the good with the bad here as well as anywhere. If you don't want advice I suppose you don't have to ask for it?

Some people that ask are simply looking to reaffirm what they already "know" or "want" to do anyways.

These people's advice is about as handy as googling or going to a doctor's office these days, experts don't always know everything as "fact" either. You just think because they have PHD behind their name they know everything... oddly, which is what gets alot of people in trouble :)

Everyone must be their own advocate, do your own research, never take anyone's opinion no matter how intelligent sounding as fact! And what works for one person may not work for another... :)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Some people that ask are simply looking to reaffirm what they already "know" or "want" to do anyways.
    Very true. You are one wise infant.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have to say in general I agree with you. It is not just an MFP problem though.. It is an information age problem.. We see it on infomercials all the time... Buy this metabolism pill and eat all you want... Does it work? Well, some of it works as well as Castor oil with much the same effect. Truth be known.. We all have to learn fact from fiction and sort it all out for ourselves... What of it is a "love of money" get rich scheme and how much of it may have some useful information. Sometimes it is well meaning but totally off-base. The point I really agree with is that we all should be responsible community members and really make an effort to not be misleading. Many times too, as some have mentioned on this thread.. there are different situations. For instance I have read and commented on a couple of posts where people were trying to tell somebody how to get past a plateau... With a little checking, they were trying to break a plateau into a dangerous weight range... Very likely anorexic... Especially dangerous is when we are dealing with people with eating disorders or other weight related emotional issues and many on the boards fall in that category. You bring good points. Responsibility is key.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    If it ain't peer reviewed clinical study, then chances are it's opinion or bro science. Glad I'm not hung up on it and call out the BS when I see it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Broscience is people who continually tell others that they need to do the old typical bodybuilder style diets. Things like, eat every 3hrs, max 30g protein, only eat clean foods etc.

People posting peer reviewed studies that dispute these myths is not broscience.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    I have to say in general I agree with you. It is not just an MFP problem though.. It is an information age problem .. We see it on infomercials all the time... Buy this metabolism pill and eat all you want... Does it work? Well, some of it works as well as Castor oil with much the same effect. Truth be known.. We all have to learn fact from fiction and sort it all out for ourselves... What of it is a "love of money" get rich scheme and how much of it may have some useful information. Sometimes it is well meaning but totally off-base. The point I really agree with is that we all should be responsible community members and really make an effort to not be misleading. Many times too, as some have mentioned on this thread.. there are different situations. For instance I have read and commented on a couple of posts where people were trying to tell somebody how to get past a plateau... With a little checking, they were trying to break a plateau into a dangerous weight range... Very likely anorexic... Especially dangerous is when we are dealing with people with eating disorders or other weight related emotional issues and many on the boards fall in that category. You bring good points. Responsibility is key.

It's multifactorial. The information age is a part of it - but it only serves to amplify human nature, which is the core issue.