OMFG I'm going to freaking die low carbing

Options

Replies

• dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am not on SB, but I am low carb. I eat loads of veggies & lean protein which helps a lot. The fiber in the veggies along with all the water I drink keeps my cravings down & full too. The detox period is a bear, but you will feel a lot better in a few days. Your body is used to instant fuel for your brain, muscles, organs etc. It will take time to adjust to the new (and better) fuel, and your body will be more efficient this way. Hang in there, the rough part is almost over :flowerforyou:
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Those dreams are the worst!!! I had one yesterday about eating a giant plate of spaghetti with garlic bread.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it to lose weight. I'm doing it to kick my carb addiction. Along with therapy.

Do you have a medical condition where this is necessary?

Eating whole grains and good carbs is necessary for my unique nutritional needs, yes.

So, why have you stopped eating them?
  • Lobster1987
    Options

The first two weeks exists to stop the cravings for the sugary stuff and then you add back fruits and whole grains after week 2.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Cheese! You can have a cup of dairy a day, I found (low fat) cheese really helped me through the first couple weeks!
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It is currently day 3 of the south beach diet....I've been having major cravings for carbs so I've literally been eating all day (SB approved foods) to combat it......

I feel like crap...weak, tired, stupid carb flu....

What can I do to help this pass?
    Then why put yourself thru it? I tried a low carb diet aswell on the adivce of a couple paleo wackos but I felt like crap also. I lost 83 lbs eating a diet that was very high in carbs.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I lost 83 lbs eating a diet that was very high in carbs.

Wow! What types of things were you eating?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I eat relatively high carbs, hasn't stopped me from losing 60 pounds. Carbs have nothing to do with weight loss, calories do. I eat fruit, bread, pasta, ice cream, pizza, cookies, even the occasional soda. It's called balance. As long as I hit my protein, fat, vitamin, and mineral goals, there's no reason not to eat them.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

The first two weeks exists to stop the cravings for the sugary stuff and then you add back fruits and whole grains after week 2.

I don't understand why you feel the need to limit your carbs. Simply changing to whole grains and eating fruit instead of sweets gets rid of the cravings...
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It is currently day 3 of the south beach diet....I've been having major cravings for carbs so I've literally been eating all day (SB approved foods) to combat it......

I follow SB and after looking at your diary for a few day I have a few suggestions:

Nuts are limited to about 20 nuts per day
    Cheese should be low fat or fat free and too much cheese can slow weight loss
    Dairy products should be low fat
    You should eat until "satisfied" not stuffed
    You may want to add more veggies--should be 1/2 cup at breakfast, 2 c at lunch and at dinner

The icky feeling should go away soon and you will be amazed how you lose your sweet cravings--it's worth sticking it out, gets much easier.
    beans are allowed on phase one
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I eat relatively high carbs, hasn't stopped me from losing 60 pounds. Carbs have nothing to do with weight loss, calories do. I eat fruit, bread, pasta, ice cream, pizza, cookies, even the occasional soda. It's called balance. As long as I hit my protein, fat, vitamin, and mineral goals, there's no reason not to eat them.

yup. I'm down 36 pounds in less than five months. ice cream last night. ice cream tonight.
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    If a diet you are on is causing you to binge, I would suggest changing things up. Clearly a lower carb diet is not for you. You can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. Depriving yourself is not how it should be done.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

You have already lost sooo much weight according to your ticker!! What were you doing before? Why South Beach now? Did you stall in your weight loss for longer than a month?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You're eating about 4 to 5 thousand calories a day. Are you a very active person with a high metabolism? How many times a week do you go to the gym and what type of workouts do you do? If you're not exercising and eating 4 to 5,000 calories a day, I'd imagine that you'd be gaining weight instead of losing even if you are on the SB diet.

Edit: Only one way to find out. Let us know by the end of the week if you've gained or lost any weight.
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

leighbie, exactly what tigersword posted!! Except I drink ice tea instead of soda.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad processed carbohydrate and sugar problem.

Care to explain more? A physiological or psychological problem?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Give it another couple days. Since I assume you gave up soda with the diet (kinda mandatory) , you might also have a caffine withdrawl with your "carb flu" . In my opinion this is the worst part about the diet is the first week, once you get through that, you'll begin to feel much better. Just a couple more days
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

I don't understand why you feel the need to limit your carbs. Simply changing to whole grains and eating fruit instead of sweets gets rid of the cravings...
    Some people are carb sensitive but most people who are wont have trouble losing weight until they reach about 12-15% body fat (depending on the indivdual) But I say keep eating those carbs!! You will feel better and stronger and be able to have more intense workouts.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    OP--if you want some SB recipes I have a bunch on Pinterest here:
    http://pinterest.com/issypal/
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I have a malapsorbtive condition. I can only absorb about a 3rd of what I eat, that why I eat so many calories.

It's a psychological carb addiction, but physical as well. I'm working on it...I'm trying to detox from sugar/processed carbs. I agree with how the SBD goes about doing it.