Oh, PLEASE!

Options
Logged my food and exercise today. It tells me: "If everyday were like today, you'd weigh 142.5 pounds in 5 weeks."

Oh yeah? 11 pounds in 5 weeks, huh? Come on. Does anyone else find that really unrealistic? I mean, yeah it's possible, but there is no way *MY* body could lose that much in that time duration. It's taken me 4 months to lose 10 pounds. (I was testing out diet/exercise the first few months.) If I lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks, I'd probably gain it all back in 2 days, not even kidding.

I'm 5'7", started off around 166 before I considered eating better. I dropped to 163ish by eating better, and by exercising since December I've gotten down to 153. I really hope I can get to 145-147 by July.. but I'm lacking SERIOUS motivation. I just hate the way I carry my weight. I'm banana/apple shaped, and I'm going to a beach trip this summer.. I just don't know what to do.

What is your advice?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    not really..its like 2 lbs a week..total achievable
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Only when you have a lot to lose. I recommend strength training and HIIT.
  • strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like I said, it's possible. But 2 pounds a week for me wouldn't just stay off my body like lucky people. I'm at a reasonable weight for my height, so it's harder to lose weight.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Find a copy of the New Rules of Lifting for Women, if you haven't already.

I'd recommend lifting weights- it truly reshapes the body.
  • strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I'll look into it, thanks. And yeah, I lift. I've definitely noticed more definition in my arms and I've lost some fat there. My problem area right now is my mid-section & my back shoulders. I look like a friggin' viking. That's harsh, but.. everyone's harsher on themselves. :P
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

I'll look into it, thanks. And yeah, I lift. I've definitely noticed more definition in my arms and I've lost some fat there. My problem area right now is my mid-section & my back shoulders. I look like a friggin' viking. That's harsh, but.. everyone's harsher on themselves. :P

Love this book, I start stage 2 next week. I haven't lost weight, but I have lost a lot of inches.
  • bugaboo2503
    bugaboo2503 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 35 days and am down 9 pounds!!! Totally will work for you as long as you write what you bite and count them calories. Drink your water and you WILL do awesome I am sure of it!!! :)
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lol, I am 5'7, started at 154 (70kg) and am now 148 (67kg)... every day it told me 'you will be 64/66kg in 5 weeks' if every day were like that day. My BMR must be lower than I think, because the calculations do not eventuate in the proposed results, haha.

I've actually stopped counting calories in (still record my exercise) and am paying less attention to the scale. I focus on increasing my exercise goals, and continuing to follow up on my quite-healthy hunger signals with nutritious foods.

My weight is staying the same, but my measurements keep dropping and my fitness is going through the roof! i've been working on increasing both strength and cardio fitness. i'm not trying to become a marathoner or a bodybuilder - just someone who can run far and fast and lift heavy things. :D
  • classylady41
    Options
    I have been on this program for 30 days and lost 11 pounds...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a snapshot, based on your 600 calories under your calorie goal for the day that's probably "right' based on calories alone if you projected that deficit above your chosen rate of loss over 5 weeks. Doesn't mean it'll happen. But that's what the snapshot does... takes your calories and projects them over 5 weeks. If you were AT your calorie goal it'd be at your "weekly weight loss setting x 5 weeks" or if 1 lb per week in settings it'll say *gasp* 5 lbs in 5 weeks if you ate at your calorie goal
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, I guess. I'm losing about a pound a month, so totally unrealistic for me! I wish it would take your history into consideration and factor that into your projected 5 week weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You must understand that this web site only gives general or "average" recommendations and predictions. You may be right that you don't fit those general rules. The best thing you can do is find what works best for you - your lifestyle and your body.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I'm 5'7", started off around 166 before I considered eating better. I dropped to 163ish by eating better, and by exercising since December I've gotten down to 153. I really hope I can get to 145-147 by July.. but I'm lacking SERIOUS motivation. I just hate the way I carry my weight. I'm banana/apple shaped, and I'm going to a beach trip this summer.. I just don't know what to do.

What is your advice?

You only have 8lb to lose, so you need to be doing this more slowly - 2 lb a week is way too fast for that small amount of weight and you'd lose muscle as well as fat , so you're right, it would be easy to put back on.

Reset your goal to lose 0.5lb/week - that still gives you time to be where you want to be in July and is much more realistic. Adding in some exercise to maintain muscle as others have suggested will also help you.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started at 165, then 173 after Christmas break, and since January 21st I have gotten to 153.

Waiting for 149 ^____^

I have noticed a positive change since focusing on making sure I am getting adequate protein.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i accidently hit "done for the day" or whatever it is once after only logging breakfast and it told me i would basically lose 15 lbs in five weeks...made me never want to eat again. :sad:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Like I said, it's possible. But 2 pounds a week for me wouldn't just stay off my body like lucky people. I'm at a reasonable weight for my height, so it's harder to lose weight.

I am 5'7" and started at 166 also. I have been at maintenence since August 2011. I weigh 122 and it fits just fine. Good luck and just tell yourself " I can do this!":flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Love this book, I start stage 2 next week. I haven't lost weight, but I have lost a lot of inches.

It's done amazing things for me. If you want to know more about it, or get involved in doing it, here's the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • SnookiBaby92
    Options
    i accidently hit "done for the day" or whatever it is once after only logging breakfast and it told me i would basically lose 15 lbs in five weeks...made me never want to eat again. :sad:

Haha I agree with this xx