why do people use protein powder?

Options

Replies

• lucythinmint
    Options
    To help me get most of my protein for the day, plus... it's chocolate flavored.

Yup. Like a chocolate milk snack. :drinker:
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too. I also wonder how protein shakes factor in a "clean" diet? How processed are they? How many other chemicals? For the person that said they can't get enough protein with food alone...maybe your goal is too high?

My husband likes to have a protein shake for lunch (he uses Shakeology) but I wonder how healthy it actually is.
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's quick and easy, the protein helps rebuild muscle after weight-training, and it's a great way to get the needed protein without a lot of extra carbs and fat and therefore calories.
  • LasVegasTaxiDriver
    Options
    I have 2 Protein shakes a day as a meal replacement used as my 2 snacks 120 calories each and I'm never hungry
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too. I also wonder how protein shakes factor in a "clean" diet? How processed are they? How many other chemicals? For the person that said they can't get enough protein with food alone...maybe your goal is too high?

My husband likes to have a protein shake for lunch (he uses Shakeology) but I wonder how healthy it actually is.

Look for ones with the fewest ingredients, the one I use is minimally processed. I'm a clean eater, but I make an exception for my shakes
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i'm vegetarian, and i use it directly after my workouts..i lift heavy and try to build muscle while minimizing fat. to intake other sources of protein for me would put me way over my calorie goals for the day. protein powder is high in protein low in calories.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If money/cost is an issue, Nesquick Chocolate made with low fat milk is much the same thing as a whey protein shake. Just milk doesn;t travel well to the gym

Key to it is when you take, first 30minutes after work it is essential
  • xx_donna_xx
    xx_donna_xx Posts: 144
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone i'm totally clueless lol

Is that true about nesquick, we have a strawberry one rotting away in the kitchen, i'll try that for now if it would be ok?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I use a soya based one, when I do use it. This boosts iron and calcium as well as protein.

And yeah, it's pretty much just soya in it, so pretty 'clean'. (Not that clean eating is something I lie awake at night worrying about... )

If you're in the UK, the one I get is just from Holland and Barrett, and it's reasonably cheap (about £11 for a month's worth). It doesn't taste very nice, and I wouldn't mix it with milk. I mix mine with fruit juice (sainsburys pineapple, passion fruit and mango blend works best for me) and it's fine.
  • thebigcb
    Options

Is that true about nesquick, we have a strawberry one rotting away in the kitchen, i'll try that for now if it would be ok?

Yes it is

You need to use milk with it. A friend of mine explained the science behind it all(whey is a by product of milk). For your body to absorb protein it needs carbs in a certain ratio, roughly 2.5 v 1. The milk gives you the protein, the nesquick gives you the simple carbs.
  • melodymist
    melodymist Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To help me get most of my protein for the day, plus... it's chocolate flavored.

I like the chocolate part :D
  • xx_donna_xx
    Options

Yes it is

You need to use milk with it. A friend of mine explained the science behind it all(whey is a by product of milk). For your body to absorb protein it needs carbs in a certain ratio, roughly 2.5 v 1. The milk gives you the protein, the nesquick gives you the simple carbs.

Brilliant thanks, do you think the strawberry one would be ok?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I would recommend this website www.myprotein.com. to buy protein from

another vote for this, i use true whey and it works out about 35p a serving! Impact whey is just as tasty but quite runny, just like flavoured milk. true whey is more like a Frijj shake. The milk proteins are rank they dont mix well and its like drinking milky sand!
    they do sample packs too so you can try out the flavours before buying a big pack, chocolate and choc mint are the best, vanilla is good for adding to other things like oatmeal, smoothies, frappucinos, but it can be a bit sickly on its own.
    Cookies & cream is like cake batter, nice for a change but a bit sweet for everyday.
    Strawberry / raspberry / banana are good with milk and a frozen banana.

I use them to get my protein allowance in on days when i dont get enough from my meals, and also as a healthy chocolatey treat, there is not much else thats chocolate flavoured with no fat, carbs or sugar :-)
  • thebigcb
    Options
    No idea re strawberry, if its the same or different
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump I love choc and vanilla protein powder. I like it most in smoothies.
  • xx_donna_xx
    Options
    I would recommend this website www.myprotein.com. to buy protein from

another vote for this, i use true whey and it works out about 35p a serving! Impact whey is just as tasty but quite runny, just like flavoured milk. true whey is more like a Frijj shake. The milk proteins are rank they dont mix well and its like drinking milky sand!
    they do sample packs too so you can try out the flavours before buying a big pack, chocolate and choc mint are the best, vanilla is good for adding to other things like oatmeal, smoothies, frappucinos, but it can be a bit sickly on its own.
    Cookies & cream is like cake batter, nice for a change but a bit sweet for everyday.
    Strawberry / raspberry / banana are good with milk and a frozen banana.

Thats so cheap, thanks for all the info aswell, deffo gonna take a look here seeing as its payday before it all goes lol

I use them to get my protein allowance in on days when i dont get enough from my meals, and also as a healthy chocolatey treat, there is not much else thats chocolate flavoured with no fat, carbs or sugar :-)
  • xx_donna_xx
    Options
    No idea re strawberry, if its the same or different

Thanks, guess it won't do any harm to try really as long as I work it into my cals
  • abhinavhealthy
    Options
    Nutrilite Protein Powder is the best you can get as it has the PDCAAS score of 1* from WHO. 80% protein, 100% digestible. If you can find from someone near you it would be the best.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I see nearly everyone on here uses protein powder. Why is this?

You don't have to use it. I wonder if some people do just because they think drinking protein shakes goes hand in hand with weight loss. It doesn't. You can get all the protein your body needs from real food and save yourself some $. If for some reason you can't eat your protein, I suppose it's the next best thing.
  • LosingFat4Gd
    Options
    I use maxitione sculptress diet protein shakes - caffeine free so can be taken anytime of day. They have CLA & Green Tea in them to help speed metabolism & lose weight. I I go to the gym in the morning a strawberry one is my breakfast.
    I use it as a meal replacement ie I had a bagel with scrambled eggs & salmon this morning so the shake is my lunch today then a healthy dinner. I also have the sculptress caramel crunch bars as well - again high in protein, cla & green tea.I sometimes have a bar in the afternoon or half a serving of chocolate sculptress diet just to curb afternoon cravings and give me energy.
    They are really filling & tasty.
    They are not cheap but if your not buying junk food I think it all evens out. If you register on the website they do regular deals ie 33% off and free delivery. You get a free shaked with your first order as well.