Health(y) Obsession?

Options
Hey all. I've been wondering if anyone else is like this and how do you deal with it. So my issue that's worrying me is that ever since I started counting calories I feel like all I can think of is what my next meal is going to be. So much so that I can't fully enjoy the meal in front of me. I just don't want to go over my goal for the day and I don't know how to deal with it. I've never really tried to lose weight before but I have switched to eating healthier a few years ago when I was told I had gallstones. I eventually reverted back to an unhealthy diet and am now trying to lose weight. Any insight into dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I obsess about my meals all the time. I annoy my husband because I have to know right now if I'm over or not. I started to plan my meals ahead of time and track them that way. If I know in advance what the calories are then I have a tendency to relax a little. If I change something in my meal I will change my food in my tracker obviously but this has for the most part helped me feel a little better and free up more time to do other things.
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Misskittyfantastico Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosy!

I find I do this, too! I think it's natural when you're using MFP. But I try to think of it as a positive.

I do obsess about what my meals are going to be, but once I plan meals that will be within my daily limit, then enjoy eating them, knowing that there's nothing to feel guilty about - you need to eat a certain amount of calories in order to lose weight, otherwise your body would go into starvation mode!! If I'm going out for dinner or for a weekend away with friends, I stay calm about it and try and get a healthy balance - e.g. exercise before I go out for dinner etc. Then I eat what I like, but make sure I note down what I had. If I go over, I can easily do more exercise the next day or eat less. I think it's good to have some variety over the week - from what I understand this helps stop your metabolism slowing down? Since thinking about it this way, I've felt so much happier - MFP isn't a diet - you can eat what I want, but it makes me feel in control.

I kind of wish I was the sort of person who just didn't think about food that much, but at least I have the pleasure of enjoying food!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dont worry, after youve been tracking for a while, you have so much of it memorized that you can fix yourself lunch and know exactly how many caloires it is- by then you'll hae a healthy obsession elsewhere in your fitness universe- like upping reps :D
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    dont worry, after youve been tracking for a while, you have so much of it memorized that you can fix yourself lunch and know exactly how many caloires it is- by then you'll hae a healthy obsession elsewhere in your fitness universe- like upping reps :D

Came here to say this! Smart woman beat me to it!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I have found planning out meals ahead of time really reduces the amount of time I think about food. It leaves me time to think about exercise and do exercise, and work on other aspects of my life too, like posting on MFP. I may be a twee bit obsessed myself... :bigsmile:
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I will try planning my meals ahead of time and hopefully that helps. :D Also I was never one to really exercise or even think about it before this year and now I love it. I love planning my workouts so I should be the same with my food lol