avocado question

Options
Is there a way to eat part of an avocado, then saving the rest for a day or two without it turning brown? Also, WITHOUT adding lemon/lime juice to it?

Replies

• jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Make it air tight...cling film/[lastic wrap or foil....or I mash it
  • kibby12
    kibby12 Posts: 32
    Options
    I seem to do okay wrapping the half with the seed tightly in plastic.
  • chiefsgirl0907
    Options
    Supposedly, if you leave the seed in the section that you wrap tightly and refridgerate...works sometimes. Sometimes not so good.
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't throw out the seed or the shell! If you use half, put the seed back in the other half and cover with the empty shell. It also helps if you run it under cold water, or put it in ice water for a minute or so, then store it in the fridge.
  • MrsJ2006
    MrsJ2006 Posts: 119
    Options
    Don't throw out the seed or the shell! If you use half, put the seed back in the other half and cover with the empty shell. It also helps if you run it under cold water, or put it in ice water for a minute or so, then store it in the fridge.
    I do this and it works great! But I don't run it under water or ice it.
  • yvieCT
    yvieCT Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a vacuum sealer. It works great to put it in one of the small canister accessory and vacuum seal it. It has saved me from throwing out a lot of food I might not eat quick enough like when I buy a big bag of bell peppers because they're on sale.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I chop off the top, and first eat the inside of the part I chopped off (leave the pit in the avocado of the other side). I treat the cleaned out top like a 'hat" and cover the exposed part of the avocado with it and keep it in the refrigerator. This way the exposed "meat" is covered with avocado skin. Then I scrape out with a spoon the sides of the base leaving the pit right where it is naturally. After I eat the sides around the pit, eventually there's nothing left but a final portion under the pit. I usually get 4-5 serving out of 1 avocado. It works great.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I eat half an avocado every day and I agree with what most of the other posters say.... I leave the pit in, put it in a plastic zip-lock baggie, squeeze ALL the air out. If the exposed part turns a little dark, just take the back edge of a butter knife and gently scrape the thin outermost layer off!