SCALE - to weigh or not to weigh, that is the question.

Options
I find that I get so many varied readings during the day. Whether it is due to water or calorie intake my weight can fluctuate within 5 lbs. by the end of the day. FOR REAL!!!

This frustrates me; of course I want to go with my lowest reading (first thing in morning, nil clothing) but am this fair? it feels false to me cause I know it’s going to go up...what is my true reading and when should I take it and how often??

PS the readings are always all within 133 - 139 but really all over the board, what is my true weight, should I stop weighing myself everyday??

Signed, weighed down with a bit of confusion.

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I quit weighing daily, I found it too stressful and it's not accurate in my opinion. I went to weighing in once a week only. It made a world of difference for me, plus I felt that I saw true numbers and success, it wasn't just losses of water weight and I never had gains weighing weekly either.

It is what works for me.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I only take an "official" weight every two weeks.

As long as you are consistent with the time of day you are weighing, it doesn't really matter if its the lower or higher weight.
    The point is to track progress.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Don;t weigh yourself daily. Once a week is loads.

You weight can go up and down easily by 3 or 4 ounds during the day. For example, I weighed myself before a hard training session in the sun, and directly aterwards and there was a difference of over 2 pounds(due to water loss)

Weigh yourself once a week at the same time/day. I do friday morning before I have breakfast
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is completely and totally normal for your weight to fluctuate throughout the day. When I first started weighing myself regularly, I would get extremely frustrated to see it be one number in the morning and another, higher number, at night.

You can decide to do one of a couple things:

Don't weigh everyday. Weigh in once a week, at the same time, in the same clothes (or none at all). Log this weight and then put the scale away for another week.

Weigh daily and learn what is a normal range for your body. We all have a normal range - once you learn what yours is, you won't have such freak outs about the scale. You'll learn what foods cause a gain on the scale, how much water you need, etc.

Don't weigh yourself 10 times a day. Weigh once, record that and move on. No need to scale hop all day long!

Make sure you're weighing in at the same exact time, in the exact same place, wearing (or not) the same exact stuff. People recommend in the morning, after using the bathroom but before you eat.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    This is 100% normal...don't give it a second thought...seriously, it's fine. I weigh daily at the same time (first thing in the morning), but the ONLY reason this works for me is because I really don't care what the scale says. Personally, I enjoy tracking the fluctuations--kind of a science experiment. But it NEVER affects me emotionally. If you find that you are affected by that number, you should most definitely weigh less often, maybe a lot less often. Once every 2 weeks or month is good for some people. You just can't let that number freak you out. The ONLY thing that matters is FAT loss--water weight is completely meaningless. The scale is, by it's nature, a flawed tool. It is fine to use, but if you take measurements, have your bodyfat done, and take progress pictures, you will have other, better tools to help you see your body as it changes. Good luck!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I was caught up in weighing daily but, it was driving me crazy. I weigh in once per week on Fridays. I do body measurements once per month. I maintain consistency such as I utilize the restroom 1st, no eating or drinking prior to weighing, no clothing, always in the morning, and the same designated spot. I found this works better for me than daily weights.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Once a week is more than enough. If it discourages you to weigh in once a day or more, put your scale in some place really inconvenient so you won't be tempted.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest weighing no more than once a week. Weigh in the morning before any food or water intake. Make sure you are also taking measurements and not just tracking weight.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself MAYBE once a month... just to check in to see where I am at. Over this month I have stayed the same, and that is A-OK with me.... especially because I HAVE lost inches. I HAVE gotten smaller. I mean it was good for getting me started on my journey but really... yah so glad to be rid of the chains from the scale. So much nicer to not to be so stressed about the number on the scale.
  • kare4acure
    Options
    THANK YOU SOOO much to everyone who replied to my Scale enquiry! I had no idea these replies were here (I guess you don't get any type of notifications to post replies) and had thought no one answered! so I am pleased x 2 to find replies and to feel encouragement.
    super smiley!!
  • kare4acure
    Options
    THANK YOU SOOO much to everyone who replied to my Scale enquiry! I had no idea these replies were here (I guess you don't get any type of notifications to post replies) and had thought no one answered! so I am pleased x 2 to find replies and to feel encouragement.
    super smiley!!
  • kare4acure
    Options
    super smiley!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh every day, and it's fine for me. Others weigh weekly, monthly or not at all, but you should definitely try to do it at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes (or nothing). Most people I know weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating. Everyone's weight fluctuates through the day, that is totally normal. Find what frequency is best for you (or ditch the scale altogether!) but weighing through the day (other than purely for curiosity) will drive you crazy.
  • kare4acure
    Options
    :)Thank you so much your advice has been very helpful to me!
  • kare4acure
    Options
    :smile: and I totally stopped weighing 3 times a day and now I jump on that darn thing maybe once a day! its a lot less exhausting !!