look like a model with this one weird tip*

Options
I was talking to someone at weekend who seemed to me quite honest about what I was doing wrong and reminded me of some of the things I forget about. Self motivation and doing things properly and things take months not weeks.

However, I kept chuckling at their belief in the need for weird supplements or quick fix and that when shown a pic of my mate who is massive the natural good old fashioned hard work way wouldn't accept he hadn't done roids. I must admit sometimes I think he is a natural and lucky then all the hard work comes flashing back. Seriously if you see a model that isn't easy that's devotion

Why are people always after the quick fix that costs money and doesn't work and can't accept its HARD work. Maybe I need to cash in on this like the rest of the diet and fitness industry. I'll give you a free weird tip. Eat your daily calories no more (and quite importantly no less) and work out for an hour 3 to 6 times a week. Weights for most a bit of cardio if you want to tone. It's no more effort than a constant pre occupation with bad food

* Results may vary. (if you kid yourself there is an easy fix)

Oh and if you don't receive compliments at your 5lb weight loss that's cos there's nowt to compliment

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone at weekend who seemed to me quite honest about what I was doing wrong and reminded me of some of the things I forget about. Self motivation and doing things properly and things take months not weeks.

However, I kept chuckling at their belief in the need for weird supplements or quick fix and that when shown a pic of my mate who is massive the natural good old fashioned hard work way wouldn't accept he hadn't done roids. I must admit sometimes I think he is a natural and lucky then all the hard work comes flashing back. Seriously if you see a model that isn't easy that's devotion

Why are people always after the quick fix that costs money and doesn't work and can't accept its HARD work. Maybe I need to cash in on this like the rest of the diet and fitness industry. I'll give you a free weird tip. Eat your daily calories no more (and quite importantly no less) and work out for an hour 3 to 6 times a week. Weights for most a bit of cardio if you want to tone. It's no more effort than a constant pre occupation with bad food

* Results may vary. (if you kid yourself there is an easy fix)

Oh and if you don't receive compliments at your 5lb weight loss that's cos there's nowt to compliment

I sincerely like your post above, unfortunately, many people will not accept it, but I am with you on why they will not ;)

I also am very fond of the bolded sentence in the quote, it is a shame we are no longer allowed signatures on our forum postings, because that is a bloody good quote if ever I saw one!!!
  • teripen
    teripen Posts: 15
    Options
    I think I heard Oprah say it best once when she said that there is no quick fix, no pill, nothing, because if there was, she would have already bought it.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I actually thought there would be a lot of response to this simply because of the topic.

I then realised there are probably just a lot of disgruntled people who clicked on the link and didn't find a weird tip

LOL
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I flat out refuse to support the multi-billion dollar diet industry. They are out to make a profit, not help me achieve my goals. I will not buy diet versions of anything, sugar free versions of anything, or fat free versions of anything. What people don't realize is that when they remove the fat or sugar, they have to augment the taste. They do this by adding sodium which makes you retain water and therefore weight. Keep eating the sodium laced products, keep retaining the water. And then they wonder why it's so hard to shed just a couple ounces. They just don't understand those products are structured so their weight loss WILL fail and they will continue to consume the product and therefore line corporate coffers with their hard earned money.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've started taking vitamins, but no supplements except some whey (and by vitamins I mean multi-vitamin, glucosamine, and fish oil) I do have some chia seeds and flax that I didn't eat before. Does all that count as "supporting the diet industry?"

If so, I guess I'm guilty.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    No, I define the diet industry as those who make and/or promote products that are for weight loss: diet pills, diet foods, diet programs - like weight watchers, jenny craig, nutrisystem. Those that hype them up with some celebrity and say "you too can look this fabulous just by using this product". Those that offer a quick fix or an easy solution. Those that promote weight loss without the work.

Vitamins/minerals/supplements that are aimed at general health are not included in that. My kids took vitamins daily growing up because they were and still are very picky eaters. They've never dieted a day in their lives, nor do I expect they ever will. They are normal, healthy weights, but still take that multi-vitamin daily. I myself take calcium daily on doctor's orders, I don't believe that's supporting the diet industry.

Anything raw, natural and unprocessed isn't included in the diet industry either.

==> edit: added the word "either" at the end there.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    I know!! I just LOVE that teeny tiny white lettering at the bottom of theses commercials stating "results may vary" & "with DIET AND EXERCISE" hello! Well I think ANYTHING would work with diet & exercise! Lol just like our patients thinking a pill will cure their diabetes & high cholesterol ... hey y'all, QUIT EATING CRAP!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Why are people always after the quick fix that costs money and doesn't work and can't accept its HARD work.

cause everyone gets a trophy in little league now, not just the winners. So everyone grows up, puts in no effort and expects that trophy.

Haha too bad youre a grown up now and have to play ball, sucka

good post. two thumbs up.
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I have to say that I was pretty ignorant to how to lose weight.. how can you get to 44 and still think that eat less and exercise more is the way to do it. It is the short term fix that some people on here are still buying into.

I think that you hit the nail on the head.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I totally want to cash in... I have found the ULTIMATE diet drink! Dihydrogen oxide. I'd sell bottles labeld, with the instructions, just add water! I could really make a bundle with it, I'm sure!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    how can you get to 44 and still think that eat less and exercise more is the way to do it. It is the short term fix that some people on here are still buying into.

I'm 50 and I happen to think that is exactly the way to do it for most people. If one is overweight it's because they've either been eating too much or exercising too little, and quite probably both. By eating less and exercising more, most will lose weight.

I know this works for me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    People are generally lazy and want the easy way out . . .

You can either make this Stoffer's lasagne or make your own
    You can either have this mc donalds value meal or make your own dinner
    You can either take this pill or work really hard
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    how can you get to 44 and still think that eat less and exercise more is the way to do it. It is the short term fix that some people on here are still buying into.

I'm 50 and I happen to think that is exactly the way to do it for most people. If one is overweight it's because they've either been eating too much or exercising too little, and quite probably both. By eating less and exercising more, most will lose weight.

Actually, my mom for much of her life was eating too little and just fine in her activity level. One person's experience isn't everyone's rule.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I totally want to cash in... I have found the ULTIMATE diet drink! Dihydrogen oxide. I'd sell bottles labeld, with the instructions, just add water! I could really make a bundle with it, I'm sure!

:laugh: Thanks for the laugh man!
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you ever notice, all of the magic pill or easy fix products always add "in addition to diet and exercise" if only we would just see that and forget the magic pills and easy fix products then we would be on our way.
    I am disgusted that Dr. Oz has jumped on the easy fix way endorsing odd products and such...
    Rebecca
  • bcattoes
    Options

Actually, my mom for much of her life was eating too little and just fine in her activity level. One person's experience isn't everyone's rule.

I didn't say anything about a "rule" I simply and clearly said what works for "most".
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options

It worked for me too.. in the short term.. and then when i stopped eating less and exercising less i put the lot back on. To have something that is sustainable the correct balance needs to be struck. if it works for you then thats great.. for the majority its a short term fix at best
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    The only supplement I take is whey protein as chicken is too expensive.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've been at my size for quite a while now. But, when I first was losing the weight, everyone was asking what I was doing. I just say, "Diet and exercise." They look at me like I'm an alien.
  • bcattoes
    Options

It worked for me too.. in the short term.. and then when i stopped eating less and exercising less i put the lot back on. To have something that is sustainable the correct balance needs to be struck. if it works for you then thats great.. for the majority its a short term fix at best

No, I don't believe that. If you stop anything that works, you are likely to put the weight back on. The problem is that you stopped. Not that it wasn't working.