HIIT....Is this right?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So instead of running my usual 3 miles I have been doing HIIT for the last mile. I run like I'm being chased by an ax murderer for 30 seconds, then walk for a minute. My HR goes from 135-168 bpm. Is this ok? I'm 41 years old. I then repeat this 6-8 times.

Why is HIIT better for blasting fat then just running at a moderate speed? Anything you can tell me about HIIT would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm keen to hear replies on this too, I'm new to running and of a similar age to you so....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Because HIIT raises RMR and steady state cardio (consistently at one speed) doesn't. You burn more fat at rest, than you do by any exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    From an article on Bodybuilding.com:

The Reason HIIT Is So Successful Is This:

- When you work at a high intensity, you burn more total calories per pound of body weight.
    - High Intensity workouts such as weight training and HIIT boost growth hormone levels.
    - Elevates the body's metabolism throughout the entire day!

What does this mean for you? The more calories that you burn in a day, the more weight you are able to lose. Even if weight loss is not your goal, HIIT is for you. Athletes will see better gains from doing HIIT cardio as opposed to traditional cardio.

Unless you are training for a marathon, you do not keep a constant pace during your sport. All sports whether it be soccer or football, even baseball or basketball have a point where you need to change gears and hit a full sprint.

HIIT will not only help your cardiovascular system, but will train the anaerobic ATP/CP system as well. Not only will you increase your cardiovascular endurance, but improve your raw speed and explosiveness as well!
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Because HIIT raises RMR and steady state cardio (consistently at one speed) doesn't. You burn more fat at rest, than you do by any exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Possible stupid qustion alert!

Does this mean that you'd be wise to make your rest periods (or walk periods as it's not really resting!) longer? So for example 30 seconds all out (or run like you're being chased by an axe murderer - LOL) then walk for 2 minutes or so?
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! If I do HIIT on my eliptical do I increase the resistance so I'm going slower or decrease it so I go faster?