hour glass shaped girls??

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I think I'm an hour glass but I'm not sure.

Height : 5'3"
    Weight : 125

Bust : 37
    Waist: 26.5 (Before joining MFP, 28 ish)
    Hips: 38.5 (Before joining MFP, 40")
    You're an hourglass and you're very close to my dream size! Lol darn you :]
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love my shape! :) I have always had a smaller waist, even at my heaviest.

5'0 129lbs
    34 (ribcage...are we supposed to measure around the bewbage? I'm a C cup lol)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    90% of the people in these comments arent hourglass LOL but most of them have awesome hips ! I want to keep my hips. Just for reference if anyone wants to know hourglass means your hips and your bust minus your waist both equal 9 inches or more. Like 40inch hips and a 31inch waist plus 40inch bust. Plus bust and hips are no more than 2 inches apart, so 40inch hips and 42inch bust is okay too. :] Otherwise if only the hips are big it is a pear shape, which is also lovely. <3
    True. But sometimes the basic shape is hourglass at the ideal weight. Plus the bust measurement is a tough one because while mine is currently 37 to hips that are 39, I wear a DD cup and I -- like a pear -- tend to lose first in my upper body. So I will appear pear-shaped by measurements at certain points in my weight loss, but if you just looked at me (there's a good photo on my page before a 5K where you can see this) I definitely do not look like a pear. And at my ideal weight, my hips will catch up to the bust losses and I'm pretty much a perfect hourglass.

I think a lot of people posting are the boy/apple shape but with a bit of a waist indentation. My best friend is shaped like that, so almost an hourglass, but not quite. I think only 8% of the female population is actually hourglass, but I see a lot of pears claim to be.

Personally, I'd prefer pear. I hate my boobs! I want to go braless just once in my life. :-(
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    90% of the people in these comments arent hourglass

That was my impression as well.
  • bnazarian
    bnazarian Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes, I am hourglass shaped but I am 5'9". There was a time in my teens that I thought I could reshape my body with diet and exercise and be more androgynous looking because it was the fashion in the 80's to be flat and ruler shaped. I did extreme dieting (because back then fasting to lose weight was the fad) and got down to 116 lbs. from my normal 140 lbs.

Well...it didn't work. I was thinner all over but not exactly how I wanted, I was still carrying the bulk of my weight in the hips and butt. The key is to tone with weights, use cardio to strengthen your heart and gain fitness and enjoy yourself being active. Don't compare yourself to any "ideal" body because for one...the "ideal" keeps changing, one decade it's stick thin, another it's curvy and busty, or ripped and muscular, next decade it will be something else like flat chested with a huge caboose...who knows? For another, fighting genetics is almost futile.

I always hated my ample thighs, but when they are toned I like them okay. Naked or in some garments I think they actually look better than if I had skinny thighs. Research in Denmark I read once actually showed that women with fuller thighs were healthier than those who had little fat there. I will have to try to find that research because it helped me make peace with my "thunder thighs".
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    40"
    27"
    42"

5'3"

Am I hour glass enough?
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am hour glass and i dont know my exact messurement but I am 100% portuguese and love my curves. I still have some weight to lose mostly on my thighs but I hope i dont lose my bum :D Yay for curves!!!! Add Me
  • Turnert0728
    Options
    I have an hour glass shape.

Measurements are

bust: 38
    waist: 32
    hips: 44

Goal:
    145-150
    Bust: 36
    Waist: 30 or 32 is fine
    Hips: 40 I'm not sure if that's possible but I'm going to try.
  • erinpumpkin13
    erinpumpkin13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    pear :(
  • newtattie
    Options
    So if Barbie is unhealthy does anyone know a safe/healthy/idea bust, weight,hip ratio to height - or does it not exist because we are all so different?

Just wondered...
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    Not sure if I qualify but I'm 32-24-34 and 5'3"
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am an hourglass.
    Don't know my measurements anymore. Lol, my hourglass hasn't gotten so large that I have not wanted to take them in a very long time!!!!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    last measurments: 5'6":
    Bust 40"
    Waist 36"
    Hips 40.5"

Would like the be smaller, of course...I'm working on it!
  • bnazarian
    Options

Define hourglass. For me it means that a woman has a large bust, proportionally much smaller waist and larger hips - like an hour glass. The classic hourglass shape measurement was 36-24-36, but it's more about the proportion than the numbers. Most of my life I haven't been able to find pants because I had a tiny waist in comparison to my hips and butt. Anything without a drawstring in it doesn't fit me well - the waist gaps hugely. And the girls upstairs aren't treated fairly either, if you have a D cup or larger and a slim torso flattering tops are tricky. With an hourglass shape, a lot of styles, swimsuits, etc require a customized fit. Women with hourglass figures often have to get clothing tailored, buy larger sizes that hang unattractively on them. I know, it's been a real pain to find things. Wrap dresses work well, swim suits that are two piece with custom cup sizes, draw string pants and shorts, jeans cut for curvy women sometimes work, or the lower on the hip variety, with some stretch. Tell me if you have found any retailers who cater to us.
  • mztrackfield010407
    mztrackfield010407 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I once heard it would be impossible or near impossible to hold herself(Barbie) up since she would be too top heavy for her waist
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2"--135

36-Bust
    27-Waist
    36-Hips.

As far getting smaller--that's just going to come with muscle tone. Perhaps I'll make it down from a size 6 to a size 4--but I'm in no rush to do that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So if Barbie is unhealthy does anyone know a safe/healthy/idea bust, weight,hip ratio to height - or does it not exist because we are all so different?

Just wondered...

There isn't one. From a heart health perspective, you want a waist that is no more than half your height and they say pear shapes (and hourglasses are basically pears with boobs) are healthier than apple because of the waist/visceral fat.

But someone who is apple/boy shaped and has a waist that is not overly large (less than half height) is perfectly healthy, size-wise, anyway.
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking too. Most of the measurements sound more like pear shape. Or even Apple shape.
  • bnazarian
    Options
    I am hour glass and i dont know my exact messurement but I am 100% portuguese and love my curves. I still have some weight to lose mostly on my thighs but I hope i dont lose my bum :D Yay for curves!!!! Add Me

I love that you said that you love your curves! I think they are really nice on women too. I was ashamed about being curvy when I was a young woman, American guys were usually telling me I could lose 5 lbs or so, then I went to study in Spain and Mexico and there was much appreciation for women with curves there! I finally felt beautiful. :-)
  • newtattie
    Options
    If 36/24/36 is supposedly the ideal then maybe it gives us something to aim for.

In regard to what to wear - now that my waist is back to the size it should be (27") I am able to wear the clothes I love which show off curves - full skirts and dresses with very small tailored waists - 1950s Grace Kelly style. It shows off the best and hides the bulk. The people i train with all want my waist - but none of them want my thighs - I should have been born in Elizabethan times - that would suit my shape.

PS, know I should update my profile picture