25 worst passwords of 2011

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in IT, it scares me some of the passwords I have seen. I have walked up to a desk, picked a word from a poster on the wall, and been able to log in to their computer with it.

Um, can I ask why you would be walking up to someone's computer and logging in when they are not there? Not only that but why would someone give you their password to log on in the first place? I worked for a company and under no circumstance were you ever to give any of your passwords out to anyone -- not even the IT department. We regularly had emails and stupid trainings about passwords and not giving them out to anyone. If IT needed to get onto my computer they would come up to my desk and have me log on. If I wasn't there then they had to wait until I was. It would be a serious breach of our company's protocol/security if they got on without my permission.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I recently learned a new trick from IT to make more secure passwords. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't know this. Pick a sentance that has meaning for you and then use the first letter of each word as the password. Adding capitals and numbers will make it even better.

e.g. Sarah joined MFP in 2011 and has lost 8 pounds = SjMFPi2011ahl8p

using a sentance about who is in your family, when you were married, or when you graduated is super easy to remember.

PS - the above is not ANY of my passwords :)

Ohhh - I love this!!! I've been running out of ideas...at work we have to change them every 60 days and cannot use any of our last 24 passwords....and the passwords can't even have the same 3 consecutive letter/numbers combo in them as the prior 24!
    Thank you, thank you!!!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I am guilty of the post it:blushing:
    But seriously if my 15 different passwords would just change all at the same time rather than at different intervals I would have a much better chance of actually remembering the one I need:/

Use a password safe with strong master password, and then you can store all of your other passwords in it. :)
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've used "monkey" when I was younger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! My name made the worst password list! xD haha but good for me I don't use my name! :P
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The problem with PWs are that there are so many required now adays and everyone wants something different that the only way to remember them all is to write them down, wich defeats the purpose. Especailly when you have to change them every 30 or 90 days.

Write down hints only you will understand, and store the list in a secure location. For example, a hint might be (I don't actually use this one, but it's a reasonable example) "bus OLS end." You would have an easier time breaking into my account by brute force than you would figuring out that hint, but *I* know what it means.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I recently learned a new trick from IT to make more secure passwords. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't know this. Pick a sentance that has meaning for you and then use the first letter of each word as the password. Adding capitals and numbers will make it even better.
    That's not a "new" trick, but it is a good way to create secure passwords.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I imagine any password you post to a public message board would instantly become a bad password.... hmmm?
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! that would drive me nuts! mine would never make sense to anyone but me. i don't know how i could come up with a new one every 60 days AND remember it! i'd want to go back to ones from before.

i have several and i often forget what i used at what site/ account. it gets annoying!

using a sentance about who is in your family, when you were married, or when you graduated is super easy to remember.

Ohhh - I love this!!! I've been running out of ideas...at work we have to change them every 60 days and cannot use any of our last 24 passwords....and the passwords can't even have the same 3 consecutive letter/numbers combo in them as the prior 24!
    Thank you, thank you!!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

That's what the IT guru in our college told us too... I never did that, but my password is just as good... to an observer it might just be complete and utter nonsense... and I usually through in random numbers and characters in there as well... And I don't use the same password for email that I do for things like facebook.... that's just as stupid as using the above passwords... oh and my email has only been hacked by spammers once.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in IT, it scares me some of the passwords I have seen. I have walked up to a desk, picked a word from a poster on the wall, and been able to log in to their computer with it.

I work in IT too, and have users that pick a word (kid's name, motorcycle model, product name, company name, etc.) then put a number after it. When it expires they just increase the number by 1. When I go to help them, I can usually guess the password in 2-3 tries. Unless they have it on a post-it on their desk... then I just log in.

I have been guilty of this. My brother works in IT so he told me to change it up a bit, adding symbols, and combine upper/ lower case letters in the password. He advised that it still was not good to use my son's names...but what are the chances that a hacker knows my children's name?
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I read something recently (wish I could remember where) that basically said that all of those "security" requirements for passwords (use a capital, and a number and symbol) make all passwords MORE hackable than if we were all advised to pick a random series of 3 unrelated words. It basically said that with a special program a hacker can hack those 'secure" passwords in (I want to say) a couple of hours, but a random series of words would take more than 500 years with the same program. It was interesting.

XKCD did a comic about this.
    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! that would drive me nuts! mine would never make sense to anyone but me. i don't know how i could come up with a new one every 60 days AND remember it! i'd want to go back to ones from before.

i have several and i often forget what i used at what site/ account. it gets annoying!

Thank you, thank you!!!

I just use a trick my dad said they would use at work.... take a password, insert a character, move said character everytime you need to change your password... then move onto a new password...
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That's not a "new" trick, but it is a good way to create secure passwords.

It was new to me.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

I work in IT too, and have users that pick a word (kid's name, motorcycle model, product name, company name, etc.) then put a number after it. When it expires they just increase the number by 1. When I go to help them, I can usually guess the password in 2-3 tries. Unless they have it on a post-it on their desk... then I just log in.

this is exactly what i did at work. and i wrote in on a post-it and put it in the drawer with my pens. why? cause i only worked 10 hours a week, and they often needed things i was working on when i wasn't there. everyone knew what my password was and how to find it. i didn't keep anything on there i needed to be private, and all my work was protected by a different password, so no one could alter what i'd done. made perfect sense to me!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm not good with passwords. I can't add random numbers because I just won't remember them! X
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Um, can I ask why you would be walking up to someone's computer and logging in when they are not there? Not only that but why would someone give you their password to log on in the first place?

Actually, in that particular case, we had the right to log in to any of the computers. There was no such thing as "your" computer; they all belonged to the organization, and this was clearly stated. It was annoying when people would submit a ticket to have a computer problem fixed, and then leave the computer logged in but locked under their id. Trust me, the last thing I want to know is someone else's password; between work and home I have at least 30 to 40 passwords to deal with just for me.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bologna1