Anyone 5'4" Female 170lbs-190lbs?

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'4. On January 1st, I weighed 193. I controlled my calories and worked out 3 times a week thru January and Febuary and got down to 173. Thru march and now into april, I have still been working out, but not tracking food and I have not budged from 173. So I started tracking my food again this week, hopefully that will get me kickstarted again. I am currently hitting about 1200 calories a day. Most of the time I am good on calories, but way over in either fat or carbs. I can't seem to get everything under control at once. LOL

LOL if you figure out how to get everything under control all at once let me know, when I check the details of my day my vitamin C and A is usually like 150 +% with calcium and the rest at the higher percentage but the rest why do they have to give us such a big goal to meet eek
    Okay so Im not starving like I said I think just feeling restricted to 1300 sounds like Id starve LOL but sometimes I feel really hungry other times I undereat and only eat 900 calories. My days vary protein carbs etc you both sound like you got it under control and wow 20lbs in a month?! I want to lose 20 by July but I am wondering now if I can :/
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and started at 174lb. I was eating 1590 to lose 1lb/week. That was a perfect amount to satisfy hunger and lose weight.
    I'm still going!
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AHH oh my gosh you guys!! I am 22, 5 4 and 173ish and my BMR is over 1600. That is the MINIMUM calories I should be NETTING every day. That includes any exercise, etc. that I do. If you are breastfeeding EAT!!! This is nutrition for your baby!

Just as a side note (because I love numbers :)) I wear a bodybugg and on non-workout days I usually burn around 2200 and on days that I do workout around 2600. I am sure you guys should be around the same.

If you have not been seeing results, maybe you should try increasing calories but making sure the foods you eat are healthy.

If you would like more information search for the group Eat More to Weigh Less. Lots of good information and success stories there!
  • soonergal_21
    Options
    I am about 5'3" and my most current weight is 188 lbs. Just getting started so don't have any loss to report yet, but hoping to, real soon.
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    bump
  • nemd
    nemd Posts: 5
    Options
    Started a new weight loss plan on 3/20/12 - weighing in at a hefty 195. One month in, have lost 10 pounds, but no change in waist size. Have been gardening and walking. Watching calorie intake, I've been advised to try to stay between 900 and 1100 calories per day. Of course, we can have more when you calculate the exercise. This food tracking tool is great! Any comments on how I can work on the spare tire I'm carrying around the waist? I'm a young 52 year old...:wink:
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". Two years ago when I joined, I weighed in at 210. I had actually already lost 20 pounds on my own by walking. For about a year I was a good girl, counted my calories, went to the gym and used MFP every day. I lost 42 pounds and was finally considered 'overweight' instead of 'obese'. I was 168! :blushing:

Then the wagon tipped and off I fell. :sad: For the past year I have eaten better, but not great. I gained back about ten pounds over the past year and stopped working out. About a month ago, a friend invited me to join his team to complete the Tough Mudder in Virginia Beach, VA next July, 2013. I now have 13 months to get my act together.

I joined MFP immediately to start counting my calories but the first goal has been to quit smoking. :smokin: Can't get healthy with a cigarette in my mouth. I'm also trying to walk more.

I let MFP set my calories, plugged in my weight, age, etc and my calories are set at 1340/day. Most days I'm at or under, but I have a sugar problem. It's a love/hate relationship. :ohwell: I'm working on it.

Because I've done this before, I feel like I have the tools that I need. I highly recommend attending some type of healthy eating education - I am a member of the YMCA and they have a free group where I live that combines excersize with teaching healthy eating. Check and see if your gym does the same.

Also, MFP has a section for sharing recipes - this can be a great tool. Check it out!

So far since I have 'rejoined' the MFP family, I have lost 2 pounds, just by eating better and walking. It won't work for all the lbs I want to lose, but it's not a bad start. :flowerforyou:
  • AshleyCrappell
    AshleyCrappell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started around 160-163 ish. I've lots a tiny bit so far but nothing really enough to see a difference in clothes yet.
    My calores are about 1360 but sometimes I go over a by a hundred or so, but I also do yoga when I can't m ake it to the gym.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and at my lowest, right before I got pregnant, I was 191. I ate about 1600-1700 calories a day and exercised moderately several times a week (at that time, I was eating those calories straight so I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. Because I was eating that much, I was creating most of my "deficit" with exercise). I was NOT losing weight. I had been that weight for months without losing more (after losing 80 pounds). I guess my metabolism was messed up from eating too little to lose that much weight. :ohwell:
  • BLSBoyer
    BLSBoyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and when I started MFP almost 2 months ago I was over 190, I now weigh 178. My calorie base is 1400, I work out about 6 hours a week. I don't always eat back my exercise calories, but sometimes I do. I have seen very good and steady results and every time a pound comes off, it stays off! Following the guidelines MFP has set seems to work great. I would guess your calories are higher either because you have set it at a more active lifestyle (mine is set at sedentary because I do most of my work at a desk) and because of your age (I am 30 and my mother is 47 and her calorie base is only 1200).

17816880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 too (and 27 if that makes a difference) I started at 204lbs and was eating 1200 a week. I didn't eat my exercise cals back but I lost about 20lbs. Life came and distracted me and I ended up putting 10lbs of it back on over 6 months. Started back again in Feb with 1200 and not eating the exercise cals back and lost the 10lb again as well as a bit more then I stalled.

I switched to 1lb a week loss (and I'm at sedentary) which puts me at 1410 cals a day. I exercise about 5 days a week and I'm now eating about half of my exercise cals back so I eat between 1600-1800 cals most days - far more realistic for when I go out with friends for a meal as I don't have to feel guilty abut going for a higher calorie option or having a desert. Eating more has also meant I have more energy, I'm actually sleeping better and I'm less depressed then I used to be so I'm generally feeling happier.

To be honest, I got that used to eating 1200 max I'm having to re-train my brain and remind myself to eat more (I've gone through so much cereal this month trying to make up calories) and there's some days where I'm just not hungry enough to even reach 1410. I've lost 5 or 6lbs so far since I began eating more (and down to 174) but I think I'm a very slow and steady weight loss person! At this rate it'll take me a year to get to my goal but as long as I'm moving the right direction and it stays off after I don't mind - I'm not in any hurry as such since in theory I have the rest of my life to be happy about getting there.
  • blueangel20110
    Options
    Started a new weight loss plan on 3/20/12 - weighing in at a hefty 195. One month in, have lost 10 pounds, but no change in waist size. Have been gardening and walking. Watching calorie intake, I've been advised to try to stay between 900 and 1100 calories per day. Of course, we can have more when you calculate the exercise. This food tracking tool is great! Any comments on how I can work on the spare tire I'm carrying around the waist? I'm a young 52 year old...:wink:

I'm in the same boat as you. I weighed 191 when I started. I am now at 188. Lost 3 lbs in a week. Water weight I'm sure. MFP has set me at 1200 calories and I try very hard to stay below that. I just turned 50 in January and everyone has told me that it's very hard to lose weight at my age since our metabolism slows down. I'm hoping I can prove this theory wrong. Presently, I am mostly walking for exercise. I also have a spare tire to get rid off. If you find some good exercises for this, please let me know. Feel free to friend me. Good Luck!
  • frankiegirl63
    Options
    I'm 5' 21/2" and started out at 198. Now at 187. I have lost 8 1/4 inches (2 from my waist). I go to Curves at leat 3 times a week. Trying to get to 5 times a week. My MFP has set me at 1200. I have a Cyto 100% Whey Chocolate shake with 4 fresh strawberries for breakfast and after I workout. I ususally fix a Kashi entree for dinner (I'm a widow and hate to cook for 1). I snack on carrots, celery and cucumbers along with a low fat dip. I have an apple a day. I'm 69 and sofar it seems to be working. I do not usually go over my 1200, usually under it, but if Ido the exercise helps. Keep on working at it. you will be successful.
  • frankiegirl63
    Options
    Curves, Curves, Curves!!!! It really works. I feel great after I go, and really miss it when I can get there.
  • cnfulminx
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I currently weigh 167. My caloric intake is about 1200 per day. I workout between 4-6 times a week with a calorie burn between 700-1000. On the days I don't work out, I try to get in a 45-60 minute brisk walk. Yes, I have lost weight, however I have gained more muscle, which has made the weight loss very slow. I also have take all my measurements weekly, and have lost a lot of inches.

My issue isn't with feeling as if I am starving myself, I find that it is difficult to get to the 1200 calories. I eat 5 times per day, but I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and as you know they are low in calories, and sometimes I find that I have to force myself to eat more, so that I am eating my calories.
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm always slightly perplexed when people say 1600+ is their calorie goals because quite frankly I can snack whole day and eat my meals and still be under, the only time I can exceed that amount is when I introduce chips/chocolate.

I think everyone is different of course and many I suppose like eating red meat which is a good amount of calories on its own.

like I said before I don't believe in the one size fits all approach, so if you can get away with eating a 1000+ calories without feeling full I think that should be fine because force feeding yourself is not doing your body any favours either!

But of course if you feel like you won't be sufficiently full then eat more we all might be around the same height and same weight, but we have different lifestyles and there will be days where you need to eat more than others, so I guess my approach from now on is not too worry if I'm under my goal as long as I know I ate good healthy food and I'm not starving I'll go to sleep with the deficit.
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and started at 174lb. I was eating 1590 to lose 1lb/week. That was a perfect amount to satisfy hunger and lose weight.
    I'm still going!
    Love it! You work out at all and/or eat back exercise calories? Thank you for the reply. I seem to be neat 177 now :]
  • Verity1111
    Options
    AHH oh my gosh you guys!! I am 22, 5 4 and 173ish and my BMR is over 1600. That is the MINIMUM calories I should be NETTING every day. That includes any exercise, etc. that I do. If you are breastfeeding EAT!!! This is nutrition for your baby!

Just as a side note (because I love numbers :)) I wear a bodybugg and on non-workout days I usually burn around 2200 and on days that I do workout around 2600. I am sure you guys should be around the same.

If you have not been seeing results, maybe you should try increasing calories but making sure the foods you eat are healthy.

If you would like more information search for the group Eat More to Weigh Less. Lots of good information and success stories there!
    I really want a body bugg I'm so jealous right now haha. Thanks I understand the concept of net calories, but I keep being told to eat less. So if I don't eat enough do I have to force myself? I mean sometimes I'm just not hungry for a day lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I am about 5'3" and my most current weight is 188 lbs. Just getting started so don't have any loss to report yet, but hoping to, real soon.
    Well I wish you luck anyways! I'm sure if you want your calories and stay active you will be surprised how quickly you can start to lose some weight and inches at the same time. <3