MFP Exercise numbers - question

Options
When I get on the elliptical machine at the gym I enter all the requested data (time, level, weight and age) and then begin. When I get home I enter the info into mfp and it automatically calculates a much higher number. For instance, this morning I was on the machine for 65 minutes (heart rate in mid-high cadio zone for 55 minutes) and at the end the machine had calculated 835 calories. When I came home and entered the time into the database it came up with 1076. I have been changing it to what the machine at the gym says but I was wondering why the big difference?? Anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you do intervals with speed of levels (resistance) that the machine tracks but does not come out on MFP? I would go with the machine if you entered all of your stats.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have no idea honestly. Even different machines give different numbers. I always go with the lower to be safe.
  • PinkDog
    PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do what Alanna does!

They're all different!
  • twilight1542
    Options
    The machines don't account for gender. Not sure if MFP does either. Personally, I use what my heart rate monitor says not the machines. On the ellipticals @ my gym, the #'s are usually a lot higher than my HRM-usually about 25%. So I'd recommend getting a HRM or going with the lower number. If you use the machines # I wouldn't recommend eating all the exercise calories
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no standard definition of what constitutes "elliptical exercise". Every machine has a different movement design. Therefore any calorie count is going to be unique to the particular machine itself.

Since there is no standard movement, there is no standard for calculating or estimating calorie counts for elliptical machines. Manufacturers are either making up their own reference standard or they have conducted testing with a set of individuals and used their VO2 response to develop algorithms that are applied to the general population.

I have no idea what the MFP numbers are based on.
  • yellowhouse
    Options
    Thank you everyone- I'm going to stick with the lower number and look into a HRM. My weight change has been where it should be based on the numbers I have been using.