it is just me...people/strangers smiling at you more?

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Or do you find that people (men and women) but people have always been friendly to me, but mostly women--these days men are smiling and speaking to me A LOT more ( in a respectful and admiration type of way--not anything weird or out of line at all--I woulnd't play that--period. Are people smiling at you and speaking to you more now than before you started your new weight loss journey?

Wow, it's utterly amazing how many people/strangers smile at me and speak to me--even when I'm in the car on the passengers side:laugh:

My husband and I just got back from the grocery store and at least 10 people smiled at me and said Hi (men and women) and I had to ask him, why does he think so many people/strangers smile at me and speak to me-he said it's because I'm cute:wink::huh: Ya know, people always have been friendly to me, and I'm generally a serious minded/no nonsense person, but these days soooo many people are smiling at me, it makes me wonder....is it the weight loss, my new lifestyle/attitude adjustment or what? Whatever it is, is pretty wonderful and interesting too.

Are you finding more people/strangers are smiling at you and speaking to you and being extra friendly to you as you are on this journey or not? I'm so wondering is it just me:laugh: I'm counting this as an NSV!

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Non-verbal communication is very powerful and when you're feeling healthy and happy inside, you can't help but express that to everyone around you. Just guessing, but you're probably smiling a lot more now too! When you project good thoughts and happiness, you get a lot of that in return.

And yes, I've noticed I get more smiles now too.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    It is probably because you have more confidence now and are smiling more yourself. Enjoy it. :happy:
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    my experience is the same. I believe you get what you project.....your smiling so they smile back at you
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's funny you ask this! Last week I actually had 2 separate guys drive past me and pay attention to me! The first paid a little bit TOO much attention (blowing kisses, not letting me pass him for 5 mins so he could just keep staring at me and making hand gestures... CREEPY), and the other was very nice and just winked and waved. I felt on top of the world and thought, "Whoa - I must be doing something right!"

I can't remember the last time I had been "hit on" while driving... so I chalk it up to working my butt off and overall feeling so much better about myself!! :)
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    Same thing happened to me today waiting for a haircut at this deserted mall that's all but empty except for a handful of stores that haven't closed. This woman I never saw before just says "hello" really friendly and smiles at me ... people don't usually do that around here.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies :flowerforyou:
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Non-verbal communication is very powerful and when you're feeling healthy and happy inside, you can't help but express that to everyone around you. Just guessing, but you're probably smiling a lot more now too! When you project good thoughts and happiness, you get a lot of that in return.

^^^^^
    This
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Guess it's part of the process....:drinker:
  • dynamojones
    Options
    my experience is the same. I believe you get what you project.....your smiling so they smile back at you

I agree! :) Your doing well and people are noticing.
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had this weird experience where I swore cars were slowing down to let me cross the street! sorta similar to yours :)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have noticed it more too.

Also a month or so back. a stranger stopped me in the street. I have done the same walk 2.5 miles route 5 times a day for over a year now. He wanted to know when I started walking as he has noticed me since last year. I told him and he said I was walking faster and more upright as I walk and a lot slimmer. Apparently, I was stooped forward. I am also walking about 1mph faster than at the start.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I say hello to everyone. Hello, hello, how ya doin! I started doing it purposefully because I have social anxiety and I am paranoid about what to do when walking by people (look at them? Look away? Look at the floor? Oh now I'm cross eyed crazy person - never mind they crossed the street!) so I look them in the eyes and say hello - and very rarely does anyone not smile and say hi right back to me.

I do notice people are nicer to me when I am smaller than when I was at my heaviest. I don't know if that has more to do with me or them. I do not discriminate in my hello's - unless it's a really scary looking dude. My 5 year old does it too - but she loves to say hello to the scary dudes!! I am trying to teach her to be nice while being wary.
  • ChemHate
    ChemHate Posts: 13
    Options
    The same thing happened to me - back in highschool ( before I began losing weight) guys didn't really notice me AT ALL, and since I've lost they are generally quite friendly - smiling, waving, talking to me, things they never did before. It's been really awesome.
  • countrygirlproud
    Options
    And the flip side to all this, I find myself being not so "restricted". I have actually started having opinions and standing my ground without apologizing :blushing:
  • kaatielove
    kaatielove Posts: 113
    Options
    Yes yes yes.. went out to a couple of bars on friday night & got stopped by atleast 20 guys asking to take me home or for my #. :)
    Feels good to get noticed.
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    I just had this happen to me last night!

I had four different people start up conversations with me and quite three different guys offering to help me with really really easy laughable stuff. I was kind of boggled, but it was nice to have positive interactions with others. Made me feel awesomely awesome.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!