so close to giving up!!!!!!!and water weight!

Options
ive recently started doing more exercise i started 30 day shread on monday, i lost control monday and ate 2200 cals instead of 1200 not enough to cause any real damage but as a precausion i went to the gym and and did an extra hour buring off the bad day the day before. i worked harder than i ever have this week on exercise but im still 3.5lbs heavyer.
im so upset im finding it hard to make good choices with food now,ive hit a plateu the last 3 weeks now so i decided to turn it up a notch and join the gym and im still not seing results just a gain.
before anyone says mscle weighs more than fat ive also done inches and gained a inch on my waiste and tum,also my analiser says ive gained 3lb
muscle mass has gone from 41.9 to 39.8
and fat has gone from 21.8 to 24
now my water levels have shot up from normaly the 40 mark to 53.8 is water weight whats causing all off this? surely water weight doesnt add iches!!!!!

Replies

• cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump! Sorry I have no advice just virtual hugs!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ive recently started doing more exercise i started 30 day shread on monday, i lost control monday and ate 2200 cals instead of 1200 not enough to cause any real damage but as a precausion i went to the gym and and did an extra hour buring off the bad day the day before. i worked harder than i ever have this week on exercise but im still 3.5lbs heavyer.
    im so upset im finding it hard to make good choices with food now,ive hit a plateu the last 3 weeks now so i decided to turn it up a notch and join the gym and im still not seing results just a gain.
    before anyone says mscle weighs more than fat ive also done inches and gained a inch on my waiste and tum,also my analiser says ive gained 3lb
    now my water levels have shot up from normaly the 40 mark to 53.8 is water weight whats causing all off this? surely water weight doesnt add iches!!!!!

Its called bloating and yes water will cause you to gain pounds and inches. Best thing to do to get rid of it is eat high fiber, low sodium and drink 2 + liters of water a day. I know that sounds crazy but drinking more water will help you lose water weight!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Open your diary -- makes it easier for people to help you :)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    1200 isnt enough is the problem. 1600 would be better and you would preserve more lean mass. please read this. lots of valuable info here:

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

This is where I was last week.... I was so discouraged but when I got on the scales several days later I lost 2 lbs! (after having gained 1.5 several days before) Hang in there, you are doing all the right stuff... no masterpiece was ever finished overnight!:flowerforyou:
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Aw, sorry you're feeling like this. Are you eating a lot of sodium? That might cause it.

Hang in there and don't give up!! You're doing great!
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    1200 isnt enough is the problem. 1600 would be better and you would preserve more lean mass. please read this. lots of valuable info here:

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
    i gain weight when i eat more,the 2300 day prooves that lol
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I agree with this!!
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options

^^^^^ FOLLOW THIS ^^^^^
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

It takes a while for your body to adjust to a higher calorie diet. PLUS, there is a big difference between eating 1600 and 2300 calories. We're only suggesting you bump it up an extra 400 a day or so...
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Then, turn off all the gizmos. Dont focus on the numbers; they'll make you crazy. Get your TDEE, and BMR, put it in MFP, and then relax. Weigh once a week, if that.

This is counter-intuitive; it's hard to get your head around. Just trust the process, it will work.
  • MJ7910
    Options

how long have you been eating at that level? i'm not telling you to eat 2300 every day. i'm just saying 1200 every day for months will cause someone to having higher body fat % than they would have if they eat 1600 a day. when it's 1200 a day the body doesn't care if it burns fat or muscle because the body feels like it is not getting enough. at first you will lose weight with 1200 a day but then it either stalls or body fat gets higher while lean mass gets lower. you have to find a number that works for you. 1200 is not sustainable for most and in a lot of cases results in higher body fat.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    3500 cals = 1lb. You would've had to have eaten 12,250 cals OVER your maintenance calories to gain 3.5 lbs. Chill out. It's water weight. Track your sodium. Drink water. Weigh yourself again in a couple days. I bet it will be gone.

Also, research TDEE and BMR. 1200 cals/day for most people is not enough.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    water weight does add inches and pounds too...
    If this is a consistent problem start taking a potassium supplement. It will help stop your body from holding on to so much water :flowerforyou:
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options

Well, 2300 is alot more than the 1600 she suggested. Also, the TYPE of food you are eating when you increase calories will make a difference. Don't give up!!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Water in fact will actually help you lose fat weight despite the fact that drinking it makes you gain weight, but that is because 1 liter of water is 1kg of weight.

Does it make you gain inches? sure, because when you drink water, your stomach expands and in return will cause you to bloat, but it is not such a big issue. I mean, if your purely about 'weight loss' and not 'fat loss' and believe you me, that there is a huge difference, then drinking a lot of water will make the numbers on your scale go higher.

I'm not telling you to change the way you think, but this is merely advice, because you can do whatever that you want to do, but think about your journey towards a better you, not by the weight loss, but by the fat loss. Because i can tell you this, I could lose 10 pounds in a few hours if i wanted to and brag about it, but that isn't fat loss and it would not at all change the way i look at all, hence I say fat loss and not weight loss, cause i don't give a shlt how much i weigh.
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    im sorry but i really dont believe in the eat more loose weight
    i believe that you lose weight by the basic rule eat less, move more thats what my doctor told me
    when i eat more i gain weight more monday i ate 2300 cals and i weigh 3lb more, eat more weigh more it seems for me
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You're going to stall out your metabolism if you're netting below your BMR. I've been there and done that multiple times. Doing it the right way and now I'm losing consistently.

You can believe what you want, but science proves otherwise.

1) Get an HRM, most people find out they are extremely overestimating how many calories they burn while working out.
    2) Get a food scale, most people extremely underestimate how much they are eating when they use the eye-ball method
    3) Track sodium, it's going to make your retain water
    4) Weigh yourself once a week, at the same time for the most consistent tracking of your progress
    5) Take measurements, the scale might not move but you are probably leaning out if you are truly eating at a caloric deficit
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Actually, that doesn't prove a thing.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. It is impossible to gain 3 pounds of fat eating less calories than 1 pound of fat.

The being said, there is the weight of the food, and water weight to consider. Your body's weight will fluctuate.

Heck, one good bowel movement and you could be back down.

Just follow the link, try the instructions and BE HONEST! If you over estimate your workout calories and under estimate your consumed calories (the old "this doesn't count" thing) then you are only cheating yourself.

This can work!
  • MJ7910
    Options
    you ate 2300 calories one day and it made you gain 3 lb? that is impossible. it has to be water weight. 3 lb = 3 times 3500 calories or 10500. so if you ate 10500 calories more on monday i would believe you. but that is not the case. 1 day isn't enough to notice anything.

please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience