working out with no equipment! I need ADVICE!

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    http://tabataexercise.com/about-tabata-training/

my friend posted this link the other day...
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Youtube. I found Jillian's Michael's 30 Day Shred on there and I know there are lots of other workouts. You can also do all kinds of things with just your body weight, like other people have said- push ups, ab work, lunges, squats, walls sits- all kinds of things.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i am friends with charger440 on here and he post a mini challenge every morning and so far nothing has required equipment -- I repeat some of them everyday (arm curls, calf lifts, push ups) and just add on his mini challenge. for example he does 200 arm curls (100 per arm) start with your weights you already have and then when those are getting "easy" tie them together for 5lbs each! i also agree with the steps if you have some in your house, i walk mine all the time and carry the laundry (or child). My brother walks in the evenings with a back pack with books in it all the time (like he did in college!) ya just have to watch your form on this one. but as other mentioned there is always u-tube! I remember when my daughter was little (now 17) if got her a little exercise VHS of ballet and jazz steps we did them together.
  • razindawn
    razindawn Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Im going to dance a bit today to warm up. Then probably do jumping jacks and use my 3 lb weights for arm strengthening. Then do leg lifts. If i dont feel like ive worked out enough then I might look up a zumba video and try getting in some zumba! ( I used to go to zumba twice a week and loved it!) Im a bigger girl so I have to make sure I do what is in my range. Im currently 256 lbs and That is with a 25 lb weight loss. I still have a ways to go!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bodyweight exercises are great, you can do them anywhere with no equipment and they are free!

burpees - i dont know anyone that can do more than a few minutes of these without being worn out, they are a fantastic exercise!!
    pushups
    squats
    lunges
    plank
    leg raises
    crunches

plus for cardio running round after your kid should do a good job, or run up & down the stairs :-)
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bodyrocktv.com, zwow on youtube-all HIIT workouts. They are hard, fast, and effective without equipment-and there are modifications for everything.
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    http://litealloy.com/workouts/tags

These workouts by Zuzana Light are brilliant!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Im going to dance a bit today to warm up. Then probably do jumping jacks and use my 3 lb weights for arm strengthening. Then do leg lifts. If i dont feel like ive worked out enough then I might look up a zumba video and try getting in some zumba! ( I used to go to zumba twice a week and loved it!) Im a bigger girl so I have to make sure I do what is in my range. Im currently 256 lbs and That is with a 25 lb weight loss. I still have a ways to go!

think we posted at the same time!
    dont think that you cant do things just because you are bigger, Ive regualrly run over an hour weighing over 250lbs before, this time round i was running / spinning / boxing @ 240lbs.
    You can do anything as long as you start out slowly and build up as your fitness improves.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Push-ups, squat thrusts (burpees), jump squats, split squats. Make up a little circuit where maybe you do 10 of each, then 9, then 8, 7,6,5,4,3,2,1. Add whatever you like or focus just on upper body (do different kinds of pushups--search for variations), just lower body with plyometrics, squats, lunges. Have fun with it and get your 2 yr old to help you count!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Collagevideo.com is a great resource for DVD hunting. It gives video clips, reviews, tells you what equipment is needed. You can even get a list of no equipment needed workouts. Kelly Coffey Meyer has a series of videos - 30 Minutes to Fitness. The Body Weight one requires no equipment.

Check out Netflix instant streaming for "Crunch" or 10 Minute Solutions" if you are a subscriber. Pilates & yoga are body weight workouts.

Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel with some exercise videos. If you can't walk outside (weather) use a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related .......... just one example

Your local library should have some DVDs - take a few out for a test drive. This is great to find videos you actually like. I find some instructors are so obnoxious ... the DVDs sit on the shelf.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Check out an app called "Jefit" There is an exercise for every part of the body with several that do not require any/ a lot of equipment.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Julian Michael's or INSANITY, which is spending, but you can look up workouts on you-tube I'm sure. . . not sure why people record themselfs exercising. .. . but they do. . .personaly i wouldn't want even a mirror near me working out:)
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it in a while but running up and down my stairs at home gets my heart rate going or jogging in place (I also have 4 kids so I'm on a tight budget). I have a heart rate monitor and feel like it was a great investment in getting my health back. I started this journey at 278 pounds and never once set foot in a gym :-)
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On one episode of Biggest Loser Bob addressed this very subject. He said if you want a good workout but don't have a gym membership or any equipment do the following:

25 jumping jacks
    25 push ups
    25 lunges (alternating legs)
    Repeat this set of three exercises ten times (or as many as you can until you can build up to ten or more)

He said this gives you a good allover workout.

Hope this helps!
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stairs are a great workout. Mix it up.. One at a time/4 at a time/2 at a time. When unloading ur groceries take it one item at a time... The neighbours will think you are nuts... :)
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    no we just currently moved and havent gotten our cable set up yet. Our dvd collection consists of war movies (for the hubby) and spongebob dvds lol. The closest park to me is a good 30 minute drive so thats somethign i will have to do maybe a couple times a week. Very good idea though, I hadnt thought about taking her to the park actually!

Since your cable is not set up and you don't have dvd's. I never owned cable too much money spent flipping channels. You can do online streaming with Netflix for about 7.99-11.99 a month. They have exercise videos on there a lot of Crunch videos I have found some good ones there to supplement my dvd's. Some days it may rain and you can't get outside to the park. Just another option.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    the best tool is the thing you're on. the internet :) look up some great info

plenty of body weight exercises that you can avoid the equipment all together.

squats, planks, walking, jogging, sit ups, push ups, jump rope, suicides, bur-pees, jumping jacks, lunges, punches, butt kicks, list goes on and on, kicks, front kicks, side kicks
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    no we just currently moved and havent gotten our cable set up yet. Our dvd collection consists of war movies (for the hubby) and spongebob dvds lol. The closest park to me is a good 30 minute drive so thats somethign i will have to do maybe a couple times a week. Very good idea though, I hadnt thought about taking her to the park actually!

Since your cable is not set up and you don't have dvd's. I never owned cable too much money spent flipping channels. You can do online streaming with Netflix for about 7.99-11.99 a month. They have exercise videos on there a lot of Crunch videos I have found some good ones there to supplement my dvd's. Some days it may rain and you can't get outside to the park. Just another option.
    I also just bought a weighted jump rope from Target for 9.99 it's a great interval like workout you can burn some pretty decent calories in 15 minutes and sweat. A trainer told me a while ago to do that. It gets you moving and it's cheap and fun if you don't have major joint issues but I did it with a bad right knee just know your limits.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    You can find routines like 30 Day Shred online. They're short and really good!