The Ultimate Vegan Protein Thread

Options

Replies

• rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been posted, but I love edamame!
  • porcelinah
    porcelinah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yay! thanks for this post! <3
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post and the recipe ideas! For 1 year I was 100% vegan, and I stuck to legumes, grains, nuts, seeds and produce. Period. No MSG, sugar or fake sweeteners, or anything artificial. I'm branching out now and having an egg now and then, and some fish or yogurt to get more protein with fewer carbs. I'm an improvisational cook who hates following recipes, but I will look into trying your suggestions.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I agree with ALL of this. I have YET to try Seitan because I cant find it ANYWHERE!!! But I want to so bad. Need to find better ways to prepare tempeh... i find it has too bland of a taste for me but still buy it for a heck of a lot of protein.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    craving tempeh now
  • LWeiler82
    LWeiler82 Posts: 40
    Options
    bump for all the awesome recipe ideas!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I agree with ALL of this. I have YET to try Seitan because I cant find it ANYWHERE!!! But I want to so bad. Need to find better ways to prepare tempeh... i find it has too bland of a taste for me but still buy it for a heck of a lot of protein.

The blandness of tempeh makes it a great vehicle for sauce! I've also had great success using it as "meat"balls.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What an excellent thread! I'd highly recommend the Red Thai Tofu and Quinoa, Kale and White Bean Stew both from 'Appetite for Reduction' and the Quinoa Vegetable Paella from fatfreevegan.com.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Great timing for me to see this since I am thinking about returning to vegetarianism and possibly becoming a vegan. I agree that tempeh is the best. I also think tofu is underestimated. Just needs to be prepared right and seasoned well. Going to look into those vegan friendly protein powders. Thanks for sharing this with us.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    One more thing... if you are using store bought tempeh, STEAM IT quickly before using it. It releases the bitterness that often turns newbies away from it.
    Thank you!! I had no idea. I will try it again.
  • neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/556369-the-21-best-muscle-building-foods-for-vegetarians/

Even though it's entitled "21 Best Muscle Building Foods for Vegetarians", it's a slideshow created by a vegan trainer in California. Don't forget high protein vegetables, like broccoli and cauliflower!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump, thank you :-)
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks !!!! more times than not i go on a meatless binge!!!!
  • sweetlola13
    Options
    bump
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You are a goddess!!
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awsome! I've been meaning to try more vegan substitutes.
  • Jessi__
    Jessi__ Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you OP for such an amazing thread!! You rock bigstyle :D
  • sherkert
    sherkert Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thank you!!!!
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm not a vegan, but I love certain vegan foods. Thanks for the protein ideas, they are great!!