What to do to get over a plateau

Options
HELP! My weight seems to have plateaued and I am 10 pounds from my goal weight. I am stuck at the same weight for about a week now. It's not fluctuating, just staying the exact same.

I eat 1000-1200+ calories a day, excercise 3+times a week, have a cheat day 1 day a week and drink tons of water.

Anyone else experienced this and got through it? What did you do?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    1. Increase calories. 1000-1200 isn't enough for a healthy person living at or near their goal weight. Take your goal down to 1 of 1/2 pound a week, and enjoy more healthy foods in the day!

2. Increase water. 1/2 your body weight in pounds as ounces of water, minimum. More if you're thirsty. (I drink ~1 gallon of water a day, not including anything flavored in any way!)

3. Changing up exercise routine. Try something new, and keep your body guessing.

BTW, congrats on your loss! Staying at a weight for 1 week is okay. When you're stuck there for months or even a year, then it really sucks!
  • Aprill20
    Aprill20 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am definitely going to try your suggestions!

My new goal calories is 1430 a day, that scares me but I can do it!! I am not sure my water intake can get any higher. I drink 10-12 cups a day! I love, love water!

I just changed my excercise routine, finished P90x and started Jillian Michaels: Shred it with weights, using a kettlebell.

I know it's only a week of the same weight and I am glad I am maintaining but still nervous that I won't be able to get this last 10 pounds off!
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    The last of the weight is the worst I'm told. I don't know I've never been there.

I do plateau now and then as I am working out and I do one of 2 things:

I eat the minimum and be lazy for ONE day. Super lazy, then hit it twice as hard the next day. Seems to reboot my metabolism and a day later I go back to losing my .2-.4 lbs a day.
    -OR-
    I go crazy for ONE day. I max my food out for the day on calories and massively work out. Then go back to the old routine of 40 minutes of work out a day plus casual walking. Same loss result.

Everyone has their way of finding what works for them. This works for me. My philosophy is "It's your diet, do what you want with it."

Play with it. Have fun with it. Most of the time if you're doing it right (eating GOOD calories) it won't backfire on you. Tho even I have to have a DQ Buster bar now and then (sMiLe)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You may notice a gain at first with raised calories. But it will go away again as your body adjusts to having them! Keep up the great work!
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Every time i see a title like this, I know what i'm going to see when i open it up .....eating 1200 calories or less. It works for a bit, but once your body catches up with it, it stalls out. Definitely try upping your calories at least a couple of hundred and see if that works. People get so hung up on....my bmr is xxxx....but they forget that's what you'd burn if you were laying in bed all day long.....Most of us don't do that. I know it sounds weird that eating more helps, but it does...trust me. Good luck