TDEE help, please

Options
If my BMR is 1336

Then I would be at:

1604 for sedentary
1838 for lightly active
2072 moderately active
2305 very active

I work out about an hour a day 7 days a week. That should be Very active.

So why do I gain weight if I eat anything above 1800 calories a day??

Replies

• LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe it isn't about how long or how many sessions you have (60 min a day is awesome by the way!). But maybe it has to do with the intensity of the workouts. If you aren't changing it up, and pushing yourself your body could get accustomed to what you are doing and results will be harder to get.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So why do I gain weight if I eat anything above 1800 calories a day??

The figures used are estimates from equations with a +/- % accuracy, in fact they're curve fits to scattered data and you may be lower than the line and hence have a lower BMR than is being calculated.

Have you tried to estimate the additional calories you burn in your 1 hour workout, on top of the 67 cals/hr of sedentary ? might be more accurate than the multipliers.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's probably not be a real gain and just water weight retention from your workouts or sodium levels. Also, whenever you up your calories there will be a small initial gain that may stick around for a week or two but will go away.

I use this spreadsheet (thank you HeyBales!) to help keep track of my activities and my calorie intake. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGZlcmNCNmhJWFhtUGl0ZEk1RFd1c0E

You might also want to check out this group. Lots of very good information. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477753-how-do-i-do-activity-level-and-calculator
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    NO way to guess TDEE. TDEE is all reflective of metabolic rate and how much movement you do in a day and how your metabolism is effected by your activity.

YOu can guess but I wouldnt recommend it, I personally think if you really want to know buy a BMF(body media fit) sensor.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    One could argue that her TDEE is 1800 if that's the intake above which she puts on weight.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have looked at that group before. Very nice information in there. That is why I wonder if my TDEE is really that low. I feel like I should be able to eat more. Maybe I am not giving it enough time before I freak out and lower my calories again. I think I went about three weeks this time :tongue:

I am doing Insanity right now and feel that is a pretty hard workout. I am on my feet chasing my kids all day long.

I just get discouraged sometimes because I feel that to maintain for life I may need to eat more than 1500 calories on none workout days.
  • debobrien1
    Options
    BUMP
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump for link to spreadsheet,
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    It's probably not be a real gain and just water weight retention from your workouts or sodium levels. Also, whenever you up your calories there will be a small initial gain that may stick around for a week or two but will go away.

I use this spreadsheet (thank you HeyBales!) to help keep track of my activities and my calorie intake. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGZlcmNCNmhJWFhtUGl0ZEk1RFd1c0E

You might also want to check out this group. Lots of very good information. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477753-how-do-i-do-activity-level-and-calculator

great spread sheet, how do i change the info on ti?
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I have looked at that group before. Very nice information in there. That is why I wonder if my TDEE is really that low. I feel like I should be able to eat more. Maybe I am not giving it enough time before I freak out and lower my calories again. I think I went about three weeks this time :tongue:

I am doing Insanity right now and feel that is a pretty hard workout. I am on my feet chasing my kids all day long.

I just get discouraged sometimes because I feel that to maintain for life I may need to eat more than 1500 calories on none workout days.

It took me almost a month for my weight levels to even out when I started it.
  • dawlschic007
    Options

great spread sheet, how do i change the info on ti?

I downloaded it and saved as an Excel spreadsheet so I can update it weekly.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx, got it saved now :)
  • shaycat
    Options
    I notice I don't burn a lot of calories when I workout. So there for normal activity doesn't burn a lot so my TDEE maybe just lower.

I am very active, but maybe still only burn as much as if I was sedentary . Does that make sense?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I notice I don't burn a lot of calories when I workout. So there for normal activity doesn't burn a lot so my TDEE maybe just lower.

I am very active, but maybe still only burn as much as if I was sedentary . Does that make sense?

7 hours a week doesn't put you in the very active range. If your day is mostly spent sitting down, you're more at a moderately active level there. Very is reserved for people like construction workers that workout regularly on top of their day to day job.
  • shaycat
    Options
    I was looking at this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567054-bmr-tdee-daily-diet-breakdown-google-spreadsheet

Yes very active is NOT me.

I fall under moderately active according to that and most other things I have looked at. I don't sit much at all during the day. I am always up and moving.
  • loobloo87
    Options
    I was wondering if you could help me, im confused about how much i should be eating every day....MFP says 1700calories + eating back exercise calories but there have been several post on here about BMR and TDEE and this is what i gathered from these posts:
    Body fat - 28.2%
    BMR - 1401 calories
    Daily calories aimed for with moderate exercise 2249 calories
    Net calories - >1600/day
    TDEE - 2670 calories

Therefore i should:

Always eat above 1401 calories
    Eat less than 2670 calories
    Ideally eat 2249 calories
    Can burn (2249-1401) 848 calories without eating back

Or should i stick to MFP and eat 1700 on non-exercising days and 1700 + exercise calories on days I run?

I'm a bit lost and i've not lost any weight in for weeks so i'm defiantly doing something wrong!

HELP!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    YOu can guess but I wouldnt recommend it, I personally think if you really want to know buy a BMF(body media fit) sensor.

^ This.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

^ This.

My TDEE is different everyday. I use a Bodybugg Tracking Devise on my left arm. (Was using the fitbit until my dog chewed it)The determined goals everyday are 2250 TDEE, and 1750 Consumption. So far I have ranged between 2100 to 2600 TDEE.
    Still have 14 lbs to my goal, and Im triing to lose a pound per week. I sync up to my cell ph or my computer a few times a day, to see where I am at that time. Regardless of where my TDEE is, I try to aim for about 500 deficit per day. The more active I am for the day, the higher my calorie allowance is for that day.

The only thing that sucks about using the Bodybugg, is that my consumption is being logged in their integrated computer system with the devise, and sharing it with MPF friends is different now. I copy and paste it into my MFP notes section. I don't think it makes it nice for my MFP friends to read. But................... I think its better for me to do it that way. Because it makes it more clear and less confusing for me to see where I am for the day.

Check out the bodybugg website and just play the video to see how it works. I like it. And after one week there has been almost a lb drop on my scale. Which is a good sign for me.
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Newbie here , what's TDEE?