E-Mail from a friend

Options
Here is an email I got today from one of my friends:

"Carrie,
When you were dieting and watching what you ate what did you eat throughout the day? (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack)
What was your normal workouts? (45 min. cardio, 45 min. weight training 5 days a week?)

(Name withheld--he he)"

A lot of friend requests I get come with a "do you have any tips?" message, so I thought I'd share my response here with you all. :smile:

"Ha! I'm still watching what I eat. I have a horrible food addiction and I will almost always go overboard if I don't watch. I count calories. I use MyFitnessPal.com. I can't tell you exactly what I did, because I have learned SO much. I've been on this fitness journey for over a year now and I have a totally different mindset about fitness and nutrition than what I did when I started. I will tell you some of what I learned, and then I will tell you what I do now.

1. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't matter at all when you eat. As long as you are eating less calories than your burn, you will lose weight. No one can reasonably dispute this. It's the plain and simple truth. No need to over-complicate things by following some strict regimen or outdated nutrition myths. You can go all day and not eat, and then eat a huge dinner and dessert and still lose weight (again, as long as the total calories you consume are less than the total calories you burn.). It also doesn't matter what you eat, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight...shocking, I know. (Ever hear of the man that went on the twinkie diet?) This means that you don't actually need to exercise, just eat less. Of course, exercise helps speed things up a little and allows you to be able to eat more.....

So, I count calories. I weigh my food or measure it out. It takes time, but I have been doing it for a while, so it's not that big of deal anymore. I track my food with MyFitnessPal.com.

2. The better your diet and exercise program, the better your results. It can go the other way too. If you are exercising too much and/or eating too little, you can damage your metabolism or cause your body to hold on to everything it's got, halting your weight loss and making you feel like hell. You have to find out the right amount of calories that your body needs to balance this out. Also, a calorie deficit without adequate protein intake and strength training can cause you to lose lean body mass as well as fat (think--muscle, organs, connective tissues...).

3. Strength training (not little 5 pound weights--HEAVY--as in, as heavy as you can, in good form, for 6-8 reps) is very important...You don't want to lose your muscle--this is what keeps your resting metabolism up--aka able to eat more and not gain...

4. Women cannot get big and bulky by lifting heavy weights. You'd have to be eating massive amounts of food, or taking hormones or steroids to get big, bulky man muscles. You lift while cutting calories and you lose the fat, revealing your beautiful, defined, lean muscles. :)

5. Read this whole article: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

6. It takes time. Especially if you do things right and not get too impatient or be too hard on yourself.

Here is what I do:

I figure out how many calories I burn in a day. I either eat less than or equal to that. (For fat loss, eat about 20-30% less, depends on the person.)

I count calories and track my protein, fat, and carb intake.

I lift heavy weights 3 times a week. Each session is about 40-50 minutes long. I have 2 workouts that I alternate:

Workout A:
Deadlift-- I am up to 130/135 pounds
Bench press-- I am up to 75 pounds
Split squat --I use 25 pound dumbbells
Dumbbell Curls-- 15-20 pound dumbbells
Bench dips
Prone jackknife

Workout B:
Squat-- I am up to 110 pounds
Standing military press-- I am up to 50 pounds
Dumbbell row-- 25 pound dumbbell
Reverse lunge from box-- 25 pound dumbbells
Push up
Swiss ball crunch
I do 3 sets of 6-8 reps. 3 sets of 10 on ab exercises and push-ups.

I workout M-W-F. So I do Mon-A, Wed-B, Fri-A and the next week I do Mon-B, Wed-A, Fri-B.

I rarely do cardio/running. Maybe once a week. More often if I want to eat more.

I recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. That is a great place to start. I have my own lifting routine now, but that book got me started. And I definitely recommend tracking calories. MyFitenssPal is a great website for doing this as well an awesome community of members.

There is SO much more I could tell you. If you want me to help you out, let me know!

Carrie"

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    great post and i'm totally stealing your lifting routine
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Great post and more people need to read this
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    very supportive post,
    Thanks for sharing information Carrie =) it will be very useful ..
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I will have to read this later! love it though!
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    good post!

thanks!
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I <3 Carrie :)
  • ccguillory
    ccguillory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I <3 Carrie :)

Aww....:heart: Thanks :)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    You're great to be so detailed and supportive and then to share it here. Thanks. You rock!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    rad lifting routine and great advice!:smile:
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You rock Carrie! Thanks for being awesome. You make MFP better because you are active on this site. Keep up the awesomeness!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It will be interesting to see her reply. I tend to forget how foreign this all is to "normal" people.:ohwell:
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    awesome advice!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    awesome post and thanks for pushing women to lift!!!
    I"m glad you are lifting as heavy as you are :) whoop!!
  • saralynn594
    saralynn594 Posts: 321
    Options
    bumpin!
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As I lose weight and get stronger, I am definitely going to use your lift routine! Thanks1
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great post. This really help with how to find a good lifting plan. Need to start lifting more. I do primarily cardio and htis is inspiring.