Sugar or fat! any advice?

Options
Hi every body :smile:
I was wondering if any one got the same problem that I got right now
I've been watching my sugar consuming for a long time & I realize that I got more sugar than I suppose too :noway:
when I tried to change my food with lower sugar things I found out that it got so much fat in it!
so any one got any advice for me which I should watch out for sugar or fat?!
BTW the sugar I got in my food is natural from fruit & nuts not from adding sugar to what ever I eat or drink :wink:

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are/were you eating? As long as I stay away from processed foods, I do ok in regards to my fat and sugar consumption.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter in the end. If your sugar comes mostly from fruits and your fat from good sources (peanut butter,olive oil avocados...) then you should be good.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I watch sugar and eat about 30-35% daily of healthy fat, for me sugar is way worse than healthy fats
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter in the end. If your sugar comes mostly from fruits and your fat from good sources (peanut butter,olive oil avocados...) then you should be good.

This...
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I guess the only advice I can give comes from my doctor but its slightly different. I just asked my doctor the difference in low fat foods having high sodium. I asked is it better to have the regular full fat foods or the low fat foods higher in salt. He said low fat foods have higher salt as taking the fat out takes flavour out so they have to add something. That may be the same for sugar too. He said our bodies find it easier to burn up the fat in foods rather than the extra salt, so he said stick with the full fat items eg milk, cheese etc. I dont know exactly if its the same for the fat/sugar idea but hopefully u get answers here. I have no idea. dont know if its the same theory as the higher fat vs higher sodium argument? Each person is different so advice from your doctor is good too as they will know you better. I have high blood pressure, so added salt isn't the best for me. best of luck sorting this one out. Good question!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your sugars from fruits then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's when you start eating "fat free" stuff that is processed off the shelf, because to make it fat free and taste better they add lots of crap your body doesn't need, including sugar.

If you are trying to stay low sugar, try keeping your fruit eating to mornings and hit the veggies more so in the afternoon and stick to fruits lower in sugar.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes, they add sugar to low fat and fat free foods to make them taste better so you are better off eating full fat foods (in moderation) than fat-free or low fat (if you are watching sugar)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, they add sugar to low fat and fat free foods to make them taste better so you are better off eating full fat foods (in moderation) than fat-free or low fat (if you are watching sugar)

It's only partly for taste reasons. Sugar and fat both have the same properties in food on a structural basis, for instance, they can both be used to tenderize baked goods, and thicken sauces. Substituting fat for sugar and sugar for fat has been going on for hundreds of years, for that reason, it's not really a new phenomenon.

As for which to watch? Watch calories. As long as your calories are in check, the rest will fall into place.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

This...

That
  • EternallyDriven
    Options
    Cut the garbage foods and eat whole healthy foods as much as possible.
    Change your Ratios to 50% Fat, 25% Protien, 25% Carbs
    Fat is good, but not vegetable or soy fat. Get you fat from Meats, nuts, and oils (coconut, butter, olive)

Here is a link to help you start thinking differently: http://www.marksdailyapple.com

Here is are some Documentary movies to watch: Fat Head, King Corn, Food Matters (all available on Netflix)

DO NOT EAT:
    processed foods
    Sugar
    Grains ( Including wheat and soy products)
    Cow's Milk (and other processed homogenized dairy)
    Beans or Legumes

DO EAT:
    Vegetables
    Meat
    Water
    Coconut milk or Almond Milk
  • EternallyDriven
    Options
    Cutting calories is not as important as cutting out poisons....i.e. sugar, wheat, corn, and beans (peanuts, soy, sprouts)
    If you truly want to be healthy and not just thin, eat right and strength train.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories is not as important as cutting out poisons....i.e. sugar, wheat, corn, and beans (peanuts, soy, sprouts)
    If you truly want to be healthy and not just thin, eat right and strength train.
    Geez us. Fairy tales.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi every body :smile:
    I was wondering if any one got the same problem that I got right now
    I've been watching my sugar consuming for a long time & I realize that I got more sugar than I suppose too :noway:
    when I tried to change my food with lower sugar things I found out that it got so much fat in it!
    o any one got any advice for me which I should watch out for sugar or fat?!
    BTW the sugar I got in my food is natural from fruit & nuts not from adding sugar to what ever I eat or drink :wink:

Natural sugars from fruits is fine
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cut the garbage foods and eat whole healthy foods as much as possible.
    Change your Ratios to 50% Fat, 25% Protien, 25% Carbs
    Fat is good, but not vegetable or soy fat. Get you fat from Meats, nuts, and oils (coconut, butter, olive)

Here is a link to help you start thinking differently: http://www.marksdailyapple.com

Here is are some Documentary movies to watch: Fat Head, King Corn, Food Matters (all available on Netflix)

DO NOT EAT:
    processed foods
    Sugar
    Grains ( Including wheat and soy products)
    Cow's Milk (and other processed homogenized dairy)
    Beans or Legumes

DO EAT:
    Vegetables
    Meat
    Water
    Coconut milk or Almond Milk

So where do people that eat a vegetarian/vegan diet get their protein from?
  • loloambush
    Options
    thanks every body that was really helpful to me
    I just found out that sugar can easily burn but fat still fat need a lot to shake'em off!
  • loloambush
    Options
    I've heard that wheat & beans are really good for someone need to lose wight cause it keep'em full but this is my first to know this :)
  • loloambush
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • loloambush
    Options
    If you are getting your sugars from fruits then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's when you start eating "fat free" stuff that is processed off the shelf, because to make it fat free and taste better they add lots of crap your body doesn't need, including sugar.

If you are trying to stay low sugar, try keeping your fruit eating to mornings and hit the veggies more so in the afternoon and stick to fruits lower in sugar.

thanks for the advice it's really good I liked it :love:
  • loloambush
    Options
    As for which to watch? Watch calories. As long as your calories are in check, the rest will fall into place.

thanks that's a relief for me cause I'm always under my calories goal :wink:
  • loloambush
    Options
    I guess the only advice I can give comes from my doctor but its slightly different. I just asked my doctor the difference in low fat foods having high sodium. I asked is it better to have the regular full fat foods or the low fat foods higher in salt. He said low fat foods have higher salt as taking the fat out takes flavour out so they have to add something. That may be the same for sugar too. He said our bodies find it easier to burn up the fat in foods rather than the extra salt, so he said stick with the full fat items eg milk, cheese etc. I dont know exactly if its the same for the fat/sugar idea but hopefully u get answers here. I have no idea. dont know if its the same theory as the higher fat vs higher sodium argument? Each person is different so advice from your doctor is good too as they will know you better. I have high blood pressure, so added salt isn't the best for me. best of luck sorting this one out. Good question!

thank you thank you thank you thank you I wanted to ask about sodium for a long time! cheers