Picky Eater

Options
I am a terribly picky eater, so I find it hard to eat healthy all the time. Can anyone else relate, or does anyone have any suggestions for me?!?!

Replies

• chessie1971
    Options
    Before I started changing my lifestyle/diet, I thought I was a picky eater (a meat and potatoes guy) until I was really hungry and did not have enough Weight Watcher's points. I soon tried more vegetables like asparagus (wouldn't have touched the stuff when I was younger). Right now, I'm working hard at eating more tomatoes on sandwiches, burgers, etc. I believe as we get older our taste buds change so don't be afraid to try new things. It takes time and don't expect to like everything new at once. Also, do treat yourself to food you like every so often because you don't want to deprive yourself.

15705196.png
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What he said...

I've found that now that I'm older I've gone back and tried the things I hated when I was younger...and I love almost all of them. There are very few foods I don't like anymore. If you haven't tried something in a few years...try it again. And prepare/cook it differently.
  • amandajean77
    Options
    I have tried a lot of the things I used to hate, including tomatoes and lettuce, etc. My problem is that I cannot get enough veggies in my daily diet, and I don't know what to do!!! Also, I have to take Adderall for my ADD and I find myself without an appetite a lot of the time, which is not good either. :(
  • chessie1971
    Options
    I think it's going to take time to develop your tastes for veggies or it may not happen at all. For me, I have never liked olives and never will.

Have you tried included more veggies in your foods? I started eating tomatoes by including them in hamburgers, sandwiches, and salads. I'm not to the point where I can eat a raw tomato but I feel I'm adding a little more substance to foods I like. If you like pastas, like spaghetti; perhaps, you can add some summer squash to it. For a snack, consider eating some celery stuffed with lite spreadable cheese or peanut butter (watch your servings because it can add calories). At least it gives you a crunchy snack with some protein and a veggie.

For lunches, I live on Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones so that helps introduce me to a lot of veggies as they are mixed in their dishes. I also supplement the lunch with raw baby carrots.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am also a picky eater.
    I find it a great help to have some low-sodium V8 vegetable cocktail. And if you still can't stand that, they also make it in a few fruit flavors. (which I've even been able to get my kids to drink)
    And if you like mac and cheese, Kraft Dinner makes a vegetable mac and cheese (my kids eat this too)
  • purpledreams827
    Options
    I can definitely relate to you. I am probably the most PICKY eater you will ever meet. I don't like any veggies except green beans and there are very few fruits that I like. I have gone back and tried to eat things that I didn't like before but I still can't seem to eat them. It is VERY frustrating and hard to lose weight. I lost 70 lbs in 6 months by counting calories and exercising but then I came to a screeching halt with the weight loss because I couldn't find enough healthy foods to eat.

I wish you all the best. I feel your pain :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The absolute best thing that I have done was to start drinking a green shake for breakfast. I'll toss a couple of recipes at the end of this to give you some ideas. Start small, a handful of Spinach or Kale, some Carrots, Broccoli, whatever you want along with a good amount of fruit and blend away. DW and I have gotten to the point that we are splitting a full pound of leafy greens in our morning shakes and I know of some people who down a full pound in one shake without even blinking. The key is to make sure that they always taste good. We have a couple of recipes that taste like apple pie or orange creamsicle (I don't have them at this moment, but if you are interested, msg me) In any event here are two of our recent shakes:

Shake.jpg

This one is a bit more "hardcore" with a full pound of Romaine, I don't know that I would recommend it as a first shake to a brand new green shake drinker.

Shake.jpg
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What about trying to "hide" vegetables in your food?

For example when you make rice cut up cauliflower very small and mix it with the rice. You will probably barely notice it -- especially if you are putting a sauce over it. If you are not a cook you could still try this with packaged food. For example if you make those Lipton Rice and Sauce packages you could just mix the finely chopped cauliflower in with the rice while it is cooking.

Another idea -- hiding purried yellow squash in mac and cheese. Ellie Krieger does ths to make a healthy mac n cheese and I have made the recipe many times and served it to company and no one ever guesses that there is squash in it. If you want her from-scratch recipe just google her name. To make it with packaged food just get a box of frozen purried yellow squash, heat it in the microwave and mix some in with your mac n cheese however you make it. Because it is the same color you will probably not even realize it is there but it will make your meal more filling and more nutritious.

When you make hamburgers or anything with ground beef try chopping mushrooms real small and mixing them in. They will pick up the flavor of the meat and you will hardly see them. If you want to be a little more adventurous chop onion reall small and mix that in too.

Lasagna or any tomato sauce dish is a great place to hide spinach. You can still see the green flecks you really can't taste it. You can use frozen chopped spinach.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    eat more of the things you DO LIKE. it's not necessary to force your body to eat things that aren't good to you.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The other thing is, I heard a long time ago that it can often take up to ten tastes before our tastebuds adapt to a new flavor it doesn't like. Now, I'm not suggesting that you suffer through 10 bites of something you hate all at once, but have a bite. If you don't like it, don't continue. Next time you have the chance, have a bite again. Continue on. With most foods your palate will eventually accept the taste and then begin to enjoy it. I've been very successful with this method.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I definitely can relate as I am not much of a veggie eater, I do however like raw veggies but they get a little boring after a while. I also love junk food, but since I started this I have been eating so much better than I used to, not perfect but better
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am a terribly picky eater, so I find it hard to eat healthy all the time. Can anyone else relate, or does anyone have any suggestions for me?!?!

I would suggest acquiring new tastes and dropping the foods that would be counter-productive to your endeavors.