Embarrasing problems whilst running

Options

Replies

• MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    This is not at ALL uncommon! A lot of runners have to poop when they run - the very act of running jostles their innards and expedites the process and when you gotta go, you gotta go!

Nothing to be embarrassed by.... I know, easier said than done, and it's worse for some than others - but anyone who runs has been there more than once I'll bet!!!

Take it as a learning experioence, and yes, be aware of what you eat before you run... the bread probably did effect your bowels today, but other foods may as well - only way to find out is trial and error. A lot of people find that the gels and goos you can eat during long runs and races can wreak havoc with your system... for others it's milk or coffee. Find out what's bad for you, but for heaven's sake - KEEP RUNNING!!! :flowerforyou:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Running diarrhea?

Yup. Totally using that as an excuse for why I don't run.

Holy *kitten*... I think I just crapped my pants reading this. LOL.

No... seriously.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Huh, interesting. I knew being dehydrated could cause some intestinal discomfort but never knew the trots was a common thing. Wil have to keep that in mind as I increase my running time this spring.
  • luciebelle
    luciebelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I, too, had problems with "runner's trots" or "runner's diarrhea" when I started running 4 years ago. It can be exacerbated by eating fatty foods, artificial sweeteners, or drinking coffee before a run and can also happen frequently when the weather is very hot and humid. I had a real disaster one afternoon after eating restaurant leftovers and having a large iced latte with sugar-free hazelnut syrup. I will never do that again!!!!

Have faith, though. If you can try to take an easy pace on your runs and avoid "trigger" foods, the problems should subside. If you run in the morning, avoid coffee, and it might be best either not to eat before, or to have something mild like an egg or oatmeal.
    Once I started being a bit more careful about these things, and my body adjusted to distance running, all of these symptoms went away completely. So I hope that your problem will be solved soon so that you can enjoy running without worry!!
  • Lily_Rose
    Lily_Rose Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've heard this referred to as 'runners trot'.
    Had problems with this myself. It's all about what you eat before jogging.
    I usually only eat a banana or something very plain like potatoes, rice, pasta...If anything
    As long as I stay away from fiber and fat before my jogs, I'm okay.
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You must have had the Crock Pot - Buffalo (sauce) Shredded Chicken! (with pic)!!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. If it does then identify what was the same between both runs.

Also, and somewhat off topic, you should try and run three times a week if you are trying to improve. The reason is related to the time it takes for the fitness gained from any single workout to begin to degrade. See the graph and explanation here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompensation. There have been studies done on this and for running 3 times a week is considered pretty much the minimum for continuous improvement.
  • melbarltrop
    Options
    I so know that feeling, and yes, it doesn't matter if you are on a treadmill or on the road, it is just something about the running motion-no pun intended. My tip- make sure there are toilets conveniently situated around the route.
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Runner's diarrhea is actually quite common.

It is. I had to really try a variety of pre-run foods before I found what works for me that doesn't make me need to head for the bathroom. A food allergy is possible as well, so try different pre-run snacks/meals until you find something that works for you. In the afternoons, I have a small apple and a small piece of chicken, and if it's a morning run, I'll have half a bagel with peanut butter and a couple slices of turkey bacon (I wait about an hour between eating and running). Oh, and use the bathroom before you go just in case :) Good luck!

Couldn't agree more. I have always been told that running is a natural laxative and if you're really in-shape you'll also have to pee a lot. It does matter what you eat before running and how much and how long before. You've been at it for 2 months, keep up the work and keep experimenting until you know what works best for your body!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Running diarrhea?

Yup. Totally using that as an excuse for why I don't run.

How funny...I was thinking the same thing lol.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh I will keep running don't worry. I am starting to enjoy it and just discovered run keeper so I can keep a log on my distance and speed. Also shows you the route you took.

I really do think it could have been the bread. I felt really bad for eating it anyway. Time wise I'd eaten around 3 hours previous to my run. Generally I go running about 4 hour after work. For dinner I usually eat a large bowl of salad with some protien and a an apple and yoghurt. Today I had a sandwich and a banana ( I wasn't at work and went to my Mum and Dads (who gave me the sandwich).
  • mab2golf
    mab2golf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started running about three years ago and this happened to me just about every time I ran. First, do some research on the web, some good sites are runner's world that address this issue. I learned that this is a common problem among runners. There is a whole list of things that could be causing this to happen to you. Mine was eating at the right times, eating the right foods, and making sure by bowels were empty and by trying to schedule runs at consistent times. I took some extra fiber to make sure things were working efficiently. Also, I stayed away from all sugars especially gatorade and gels that had any kinds of sugar in them on my run or before my runs (no pun intended). Keep a good food and drink diary of everything you eat and drink and the times. Then you can start eliminating things that don't agree with you. Also, drink plenty of water because dehydration can also cause this. Good luck to you.
  • Guitarjon
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. If it does then identify what was the same between both runs.

Also, and somewhat off topic, you should try and run three times a week if you are trying to improve. The reason is related to the time it takes for the fitness gained from any single workout to begin to degrade. See the graph and explanation here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompensation. There have been studies done on this and for running 3 times a week is considered pretty much the minimum for continuous improvement.

Hi Scott, does this still apply if you do other sports in the week? I am running twice, play squash once a week and swim every week?
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I often get this feeling and just have to stop. Pretty sure it's nothing to do with what I've eaten as I run on an empty stomach. It seems totally random but it's (literally) a bit of a pain in the bum!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hiya. i've been running for 2 years now, and have had this problem since the start. i have a few recommendations if you want them.
    1- plan your route around either toilets, or places where you know you can crap in a bush without frightening passers by. i usually take an emergency supply of toilet roll in my pocket too, just incase.
    2- make notes about what triggers it, and if you can avoid it.
    3- stay really well hydrated the day before and day of your run
    4- if you're going to go longer distances or increase times on the road, think of taking immodium before a race (if you ever choose to enter one). i'm running a marathon next saturday, and will start taking immodium on thurs!
    5- don't stop running. you may find that it gets better over time. but there are always ways around it. as long as you don't **** yourself in public and 10 miles away from home, you'll be ok!
  • PMBurton
    PMBurton Posts: 1
    Options
    Eating Bananas has been known to help with the trots. Thankfully, I always finish my excercise before I get really bad stomach cramps and .... yeah. I know how you feel. It's definitely part of the adjustment to excercising. Over the years I've really gone up and down with my activity level and especially running. After a while, in my experience these symptoms subside.

I know running at the gym really sucks, but if you are really worried about this, it may help for you to run around the track at the gym (if you have one), or on the threadmill. You'll feel more comfortable about running, and you'll be able to push yourself to maybe that 5k goal. I think somebody hinted earlier than high humidity and warm weather can be attributed to the trots. Personally, I have that feeling as well, and it's possible at least for the interim that a climate controlled gym will alleviate some of those symptoms until your body becomes more efficient at running and self cooling.

Good luck, and keep running :D
  • Guitarjon
    Options
    I've done 5k already in the past and was aiming for 6k today.

5- don't stop running. you may find that it gets better over time. but there are always ways around it. as long as you don't **** yourself in public and 10 miles away from home, you'll be ok!

This, I was 10 miles away and was scared of accident in public.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    This totally makes sense to me. Whenever I want my dog to take a poo, I play frisbee with her! Just a couple of tosses & she's hunched over in the bushes! Works every time! :-)
    Doing dishes actually works for me, I think it's soaking my hands in hot water! LOL
    Good luck & I hope you get something figured out.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

Hi Scott, does this still apply if you do other sports in the week? I am running twice, play squash once a week and swim every week?
    With those other things your fitness will definitely continue to improve. However, your running specific fitness will improve slower than if you ran more because some of the aerobic adaptations are specific to the muscles being exercised. So it really just comes down to what you are trying to achieve.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    OMG! I don't run (yet) but i was out for an intense walk the other night and i suddenly had this problem completely out of the blue! It was such a weird thing, i hadn't had it before i went out. SO weird.