Starving at 1300 cals?

Options
So I was a little hungry when I first started and had it set at 1200 cals, I upped it to 1300. I can eat, get full (off of a 290 cal meal and feel ready to burst) and then three hours later be absolutely starving. I want to lose weight quickly, but I feel like even though I am constantly eating, I am never satisfied for long. I usually grab a handful of nuts or a 90 cal granola bar to bide me over and don't log that, so most days as of lately I am around 1400. Should I bump myself back down to 1200? Not sure what to do, I have a very active job where I am on my feet from 6:45am till 3:30pm. Are there any other foods I could eat to hold me over? I drink a lot of water first before eating, and while eating. I eat a lot of protein. I don't know what else to do, any help would be awesome

Replies

• AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    At that point, when I couldn't possibly eat more, I added protein powder. I was getting HANGRY, bad. That helped push down the hunger. I hate smoothies, I just mix some vanilla protein powder with skim milk. Once in the morning and sometimes in the afternoons depending on my level of activity.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion as to whether you should increase your calories or not. You should make that decision based on whether you are losing weight at the rate you want and how you feel.

However, foods that keep me full longer tend to be less carbs and more protein and fat. Nuts sometimes make me hungry. Eggs keep me full. If I eat just a granola bar, I'll be hungry again in about 30 minutes. I often eat an apple with peanut butter or celery with hummus. Those types of things keep me full.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, fat, complex carbs .... all these things help you stay full longer.

If you are very active .... 1200 might be too low. I have a desk job ... so 1200 is OK for me.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that you should never have to be hungry. Even while dieting. First focus on what you are eating. Greens are the best way to eat a lot of bulk and feel full without eating many calories. I just ate about 50 cals of collard greens and I feel like I ate a lot. Then look at your weight loss. If you are losing more than one pound a week, up your cals and eat more.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If you have an active job, you surely aren't eating enough. Hunger is your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel. In my opinion, increase your calories to around 1500 and see what happens after a few weeks. Try adding more protein as well as fiber to your diet.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Try more protein or even more carbs... they keep you full feeling longer
  • SaraSweetheart
    SaraSweetheart Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    are you eating properly hun? are you eating the proper amount? calculate your BMR manually... I have to do it every once in a while. I'll show you how using myself.

The formula we use is 655 + (4.35 X weight in lbs) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (14.7 X age in years)

I am 22 years old, I am 5 feet 6 inches, and I weigh 151 lbs. So, here's my BMR:

BMR = 655 + (4.35 X 151 lbs) + (4.7 X 66 inches) - (14.7 X 22 years) BMR = 1298. 65 calories

But, I want to lose weight. I am pretty much sedentary, so I am going to multiply this number by 1.2. If you are moderately active (ex. 5 hours of exercise weekly) multiply your BMR by 1.5. So, 1298.65 X 1.2 = 1558.36 is what I can eat to maintain my current weight.

I want to lose weight, but not go into starvation mode (OR ANY WEIGHT LOSS WILL BE TEMPORARY AND MY METABOLISM WILL BE DESTROYED) , so I am going to decrease my calories by either 10-20%. I am going to use the maximum 20%. So, 1558.36 X 0.8 = 1246.688. I am going to eat 1250 calories daily NET.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

use it. never go below it because that is how much you need to simply stay alive.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I work at a 24 hour Emergency Veterinary hospital. I am helping prep animals for surgery, lifting, carrying dead weight of animals ranging from 1lb to 50+lbs. I am bringing up 6lb to 50lb bags of food that is ordered from clients, and obviously focusing on keeping the animals all clean with fresh bedding, walking the dogs, etc. I did try eating lots of veggies and fruit, but the same thing would happen. I am hoping to find some sort of mid ground. I am afraid to increase my calories too much because I really want this weight gone fast. Would sticking to an extremely high protein and low carb diet help? I did the southbeach diet before and had great results, but it isn't a realistic lifestyle change and the minute you eat carbs you gain back. Just really confused
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    oops sc
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    is it hunger pangs or like getting light headed from not enough cals?? I am asking because I have a hard time adjusting to small tweaks in cals or even time of day i eat. After upping my cals only to 1300 i felt as if I was starving between meals.. but hunger pangs starving, not famished HUNGRY. i don't know if its the same as what i experienced but after about a week my body got used to eating breakfast regularly and they stopped.

If you EVER feel famished hungry, stop thinking about the cals and just eat, the right stuff, and plenty of it.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    are you eating properly hun? are you eating the proper amount? calculate your BMR manually... I have to do it every once in a while. I'll show you how using myself.

The formula we use is 655 + (4.35 X weight in lbs) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (14.7 X age in years)

I am 22 years old, I am 5 feet 6 inches, and I weigh 151 lbs. So, here's my BMR:

BMR = 655 + (4.35 X 151 lbs) + (4.7 X 66 inches) - (14.7 X 22 years) BMR = 1298. 65 calories

But, I want to lose weight. I am pretty much sedentary, so I am going to multiply this number by 1.2. If you are moderately active (ex. 5 hours of exercise weekly) multiply your BMR by 1.5. So, 1298.65 X 1.2 = 1558.36 is what I can eat to maintain my current weight.

I want to lose weight, but not go into starvation mode (OR ANY WEIGHT LOSS WILL BE TEMPORARY AND MY METABOLISM WILL BE DESTROYED) , so I am going to decrease my calories by either 10-20%. I am going to use the maximum 20%. So, 1558.36 X 0.8 = 1246.688. I am going to eat 1250 calories daily NET.

I used two different calculators and I think your calculation is a bit low. One came in at 1519 and the other at 1460.

The Harris-Benedict Formula, which I think you are using, is:

WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

However, it has been considered, by some, to be inaccurate.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you have an active job, you surely aren't eating enough. Hunger is your body's way of telling you it needs more fuel. In my opinion, increase your calories to around 1500 and see what happens after a few weeks. Try adding more protein as well as fiber to your diet.

I agree with this. I eat 1320 per day but I have a desk job with little activity.
  • upmihah
    upmihah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have an active job - and was eating 1300. Recently I switched to 1500 and continue to lose weight, while not feeling like I'm starving. Usually I eat 3 meals of around 400 calories each, and that leaves room for a snack or two. Apples, almonds, and popcorn are the snacks I fall back on the most. If you're hungry all the time, stretching your calories to include a snack and/or fourth meal will help your body/mind know it won't be hungry for long.
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Fiber would help you quite a bit. There is a lot of fiber in a lot of fruits and vegetables as well as snack crackers and so forth. You should look to Self.com for some help with that. One of their current stories is about "super foods" that will help keep you full and satisfied as well and help jump start your metabolism to help you burn fat all day. Plus eating breakfast makes a huge difference. Self.com says eating within 90 minutes of waking is key to starting your metabolism for the day.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me you are a "fast oxidizer" I would go to this website and take the survey (which was orgiginally pulled from Jillian Michaels.) Either print it off or write down your answers. It will help you understand what it means to be a "fast oxidizer" and which kinds of foods to eat to carry your self over from meal to meal. ......

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating/page/1
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I work at a 24 hour Emergency Veterinary hospital. I am helping prep animals for surgery, lifting, carrying dead weight of animals ranging from 1lb to 50+lbs. I am bringing up 6lb to 50lb bags of food that is ordered from clients, and obviously focusing on keeping the animals all clean with fresh bedding, walking the dogs, etc. I did try eating lots of veggies and fruit, but the same thing would happen. I am hoping to find some sort of mid ground. I am afraid to increase my calories too much because I really want this weight gone fast. Would sticking to an extremely high protein and low carb diet help? I did the southbeach diet before and had great results, but it isn't a realistic lifestyle change and the minute you eat carbs you gain back. Just really confused

The veggies and fruit have the fiber you need. But, you need to add protein/fat to them (i.e. peanut butter or cheese to go with the veggies/fruit).

South Beach helps keep hunger at bay, because it focuses on protein and fiber filled foods. Even if you're not doing the SB diet, using it as a guideline isn't a bad idea. Fill up on proteins and fiber filled carbs, you stay fuller longer.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I get the grumbly stomach growling slight headache type of symptoms after a little while. I am 5'4 at 157 and 19 years old. I try to have at least one serving of nuts, along with fruit. I drink a protein shake and a eat a protein bar for breakfast which holds me over for about 3-4 hours and then by lunch I am absolutely starving to the point where I shake and my stomach feels like its eating itself. I eat cottage cheese for my "brunch" snack, and another protein bar or nuts or something as my after lunch snack. I drink at least 1 liter of water a day, if not more. It's just frustrating to be hungry and unable to focus. I always drink water when I get that hungry feeling, but it comes back 10 minutes later but with a vengeance lol!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think you need to be eating more. In my personal experience, If your BMI is within "healthy" range, and you are not eating AT LEAST at your BMR, you WILL NOT LOOSE. Increase as the other posters have suggested and give it at least a month before giving up and going back to 1200 cals/day because you are afraid of "gaining" weight.

The last few pounds are often very hard to loose and we have to be strategic about getting rid of them! Good luck and make your health your first priority!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I get the grumbly stomach growling slight headache type of symptoms after a little while. I am 5'4 at 157 and 19 years old. I try to have at least one serving of nuts, along with fruit. I drink a protein shake and a eat a protein bar for breakfast which holds me over for about 3-4 hours and then by lunch I am absolutely starving to the point where I shake and my stomach feels like its eating itself. I eat cottage cheese for my "brunch" snack, and another protein bar or nuts or something as my after lunch snack. I drink at least 1 liter of water a day, if not more. It's just frustrating to be hungry and unable to focus. I always drink water when I get that hungry feeling, but it comes back 10 minutes later but with a vengeance lol!

Based on 5'4", 157 lbs and 19 yrs old, your BMR is around 1500. You need to up your daily intake.

ETA: 1500 should be your net minimum. You should probably average 200-300 above BMR net calories/day.