Anyone find the GPS on mapmyrun inaccurate?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
It said I walked a mile during my 5 minute warm up. Anyone know of a more accurate running gps app? The odd thing is, I mapped it out via google maps on my ifit live account and it came up with the same total distance. I think the distance is off by as much as a mile!

Has anyone else had that experience with Map My Run? I plan on trying Runkeeper and runens next but just curious how accurate others have found the GPS to be. This was for a run in a city park in my town.

Replies

• uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My Boyfriend was using it for his 8mi walks... Was fine first couple times then after about a week the gps was off anywhere from .5-1.5mi a workout .... And my boyfriend followed the same route every time! He is using run keeper now and likes it so
    Much better the gps is more accurate
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I tried run keeper tonight and it said I went 2.24 miles during my 5 minute warmup WALK. Wtf?!

Next ill try runens. I really hope something works better than this!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Try Endomondo.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with mine.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with mine.

Me either, but I prefer RunKeeper. Could it be the area you live in is causing some type of interference?
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Try Cardio Trainer, and set the settings so that it is most accurate. It works pretty well for me. There is a park that is almost exactly 1/2 a mi, and when I tracked in using Cardio Trainer, it was only off by a few feet (which may be due to me not walking in a straight line)
  • burtg
    burtg Posts: 7
    Options
    Try Cyclemeter, you can set it for running instead of biking. I've found it to be more accurate than the MapMy apps. It does cost $4.99 but it can be used for all sorts of activities. None of them are perfect.
  • magistra12
    Options
    I find that my GPS for mapmyrun works better if the screen is still up, but then again, I use it on my phone. Also, I've started using TrackerBooster in addition so that the signal stays stronger.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    yes. I stopped using it. I use runkeeper now.
  • mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Someone told me you need to turn off wireless. That your phone picks up singles and it throws it off.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Someone told me you need to turn off wireless. That your phone picks up singles and it throws it off.

That's interesting! Easy enough to try!

I went on runkeeper's website and looked at my run. It had me starting my run two miles away from my actual starting point for some reason. I was able to edit it online and everything else looked very accurate. So, I'll try runkeeper again!

And I'll keep the other suggestions handy too!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to get Mapmyrun to be accurate... my Footpod has been my life saver.
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use Adidas micoach on my phone. It seems to be accurate.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Actually, having the wifi on improves your location. It could be anything, trees, interference whatnot. My friend and I both use runkeeper, we will run the same race and have different mileage. Her GPS is more sensitive than mine. And I doubt it's the app's fault, the GPS is in your phone, not the app.

So no matter what app you use, you will probably have issues.
    You can also go back and edit the activity later online, that's what I do when it's off.

Good luck!
  • bekahsack
    bekahsack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah, mine is always off by about .5 miles for every 2 miles I run! I use RunTracker now, it's so much better and also more accurate. You can even use a "Ghost Runner" which is basically running against one of your previous runs trying to beat it. Motivation at its finest.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I can't get mapmyrun, endomondo, or nikerun to work!!!! :( I have different issues with all of them! :(
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    And I doubt it's the app's fault, the GPS is in your phone, not the app.

So no matter what app you use, you will probably have issues.

ITA that if 2 separate apps are that inaccurate it's likely either your phone's GPS or your location/interference.

I tried MapMyRun about 2 years ago and it never could find a signal - whether I was home or 350 miles away, so I figured it was the app, so I downloaded RunKeeper and it's worked like a charm ever since. Occasionally there's a slight hiccup by as much as a half mile during races, but that's no big deal to me.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Strava
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few, but stick with runkeeper, not because I think it is the most accurate but because I like the website. I have several runs and I've measured them with my car.. I just edit my runs if I really want to know precisely what I've run and how fast. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me that much... I know that I'm steadily improving and when I can drop another2 or 3 minutes off my mile then I will care (lol).
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Runtastic, Nike+ Running