What other veggies are there?

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I just needed to get some new ideas, I am so used to canned. I'm trying to get out of a rut! Thanks guys!

If you're eating canned, you may be in a worse rut than you think. Start tracking your sodium levels.

Fresh veggies are healthier, tastier, and quite often cheaper than canned anyway.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on the Brussels sprouts and asparagus, but add on artichokes, string beans, peas, zucchini, leeks, and radishes.

Brussels sprouts really get a bad rap (as does asparagus) because most people have only ever eaten them so overcooked they are tasteless mush. Actually, scratch that, cooked to where the bitterness comes out and the actual FLAVOR is cooked out of them.

My favorite way to prepare Brussels Sprouts.

- Get a shallow pot of water up to boiling.
    - Cut just the very ends off the sprouts stems so they are clean. Remove any outer leaves that are browned.
    - Blanch (boil) sprouts until they darken, but JUST until they darken. This should take about a minute or two, no more.
    - Dump off the water and leave the sprouts in the pan.
    - Put the pan back on medium heat. Sautee the sprouts - the intention is to get some of the water evaporated off, but not to cook them too much more. The outer leaves will brown up a bit - this is OK.
    - Drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and continue sautee for a minute or so. Optionally add garlic.
    - Serve as-is or with some sort of cheese (I like to grate some hard cheese like asiago on it).

It may take a couple of tries before you get them perfect. The outer leaves should be just-ever-so-slightly crispy from the browning, the insides should be tender but not mushy. Once leaves start sloughing off the sprouts, you really don't want to cook them any more than it takes to brown the outsides a bit.

I've converted three sprout haters over to loving PROPERLY-COOKED sprouts.

But then again, I find canned peas revolting. My wife honestly thought all her life that she hated peas. Then I grew some in my garden (over her objections), and asked her to try some that I had just harvested, shelled, lightly cooked and added nothing to.

I cooked about two quarts. She ate nearly the whole batch. :)

The sad part is, she was brought up believing that there were actually health benefits from the salty, overcooked, nasty things you get out of a can, and that they were actually peas.

It's so sad what our processing of food does to vegetables.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Zucchini has been a staple at our house for like ever. And lately baby spinach is nearly always in the fridge too... I put it in all kinds of things.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    cucumber, green beans, lima beans, zucchini....yumm!!
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Peppers, spinach, asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, turnips, radishes, cucumbers, squashes...I eat almost all of them
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Kale, collards, celery, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, green beans... I could go on forever :)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    some of my favorites and/or most often eaten are:

cauliflower (mashed, roasted, sauteed), kale, swiss chard, kohlrabi, beets, turnips, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, radishes, asparagus, artichokes, zucchini, summer squash, peas, grape tomatoes, sweet potatoes, bacon...oh wait, that just accompanies most of my vegetables...
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Tonight we ate a veggie stew with potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnip, carrots, savoy cabbage, onions and leeks.

I also make a sweet and sour stir fry with onions, peppers, baby corn, fine beans, broccoli and water chestnuts (or whatever veg we happen to have handy really).

I use frozen peas to make pea soup, and frozen peppers to make one called (delightfully) Sunshine Soup.

A tin of chopped tomatoes + a bit of water + a cupful of rice makes a really nice rice and tomato soup.

There are so many ways with veg I could literally go on all night!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cauliflower
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Let's see...Cucumber, tomatoes (cherry tomatoes make for a good snack), squash,radishes, peppers (raw makes a good snack), turnip, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, onions...There's tons!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I eat all the vegetables. Except for eggplant.
  • onceabyrne
    onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Kale! In the winter I would eat a lot of butternut squash, but now that it's warmer, I try to grill everything. Love grilled zuchinni, yellow squash, peppers, and onions. Fresh asparagus (when it's on sale), mushrooms. I try to avoid the starchy vegetables, but sweet potatoes are really good for you!
  • ThatMcChick
    Options
    I'm a fan of spinach (love baby spinach and strawberries), onions, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and string beans!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    On a regular basis I get - Cauliflour, broccoli, spinach, celery, onion, tomato, carrots, radish, okra, eggplant, cucumbers, red & green bell peppers, green beans, cabbage, various squash, zucchini, asparagus, corn and peas. Occasionally I get radish, mustard, kale, bitter melon, small eggplant (indian or thai variety), various mushrooms, brussel sprouts. There's too many at my asian grocery store. I do all my produce shopping at this store and only go to regular store for staples like egg, milk, bread, etc. The variety of fruits, vegetables, asian sauces and noodles is just great! See if there are any asian stores in your area. Around here they're chains like H-Mart, Grand-Mart, Global foods.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Besides broccoli, carrots, and snap peas. If I eat another snap pea I'm going to hurl! Let's hear it. What veggies do you all eat?

I've been loving beets and their greens, Swiss Chard, turnips, asparagus. I haven't had a snap pea in years, actually. I've been eating broccoli soup, and leek and potato soup.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Other than broccoli, carrots, and snap peas? Oh, just all of the yummy veggies in the world!! But I understand, I get in a rut too with my veg. Try sautéed beets greens, you'd be surprised how spicy delicious they are. Kale, chard, both sturdy greens you can eat raw or cook. I bought sweet corn this week and made a raw corn salad w/ cilantro and black beans and it was winning.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Besides broccoli, carrots, and snap peas. If I eat another snap pea I'm going to hurl! Let's hear it. What veggies do you all eat?

That's it. There are no other vegetables in the entire world. You're stuck with those.

Ohhhhh sweet belly laugh!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: Thanks, I needed that!!!!!

To the OP, go to the fresh produce section of your market and just start buying one or two new things. I NEVER thought that I would like cauliflower, but I am roasting some right now - 450 degree oven, cut it up, put it on a baking sheet, drizzle with A LITTLE olive oil, little salt, and pepper - bake for 30 minutes - oh my yummy!!! Sweet potatoes are awesome baked with a little bit of coconut oil instead of butter, and a sprinkle of cinnamon! Jicama is great to snack on!! Brussel sprouts are great too - although a little stinky!! LOL!! But really, steam those little gems up and they are GOOOOOD!!! Zucchini is great roasted too!!! Hit your local farmer's market and see what goodness they have - you can try great FRESH veggies at a fraction of the cost!!!!!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    ARTICHOKES!!!!!:love:
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Amaranth
    Artichoke
    Arugula
    Asian greens
    Asparagus
    Bean
    Beet
    Bell pepper
    Broccoli
    Broccoli raab
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cauliflower
    Celeriac
    Celery
    Chard
    Chinese cabbage
    Collards
    Corn
    Corn salad
    Cowpea
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Endive
    Fennel
    Garlic
    Gourd
    Hot pepper
    Jerusalem artichoke
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Lima bean
    Malabar spinach
    Melon
    New Zealand spinach
    Okra
    Onion
    Parsnip
    Pea
    Peanut
    Potato
    Pumpkin
    Radicchio
    Radish
    Rhubarb
    Rutabaga
    Spinach
    Summer squash
    Sweet potato
    Tomatillo
    Tomato
    Turnip
    Watermelon
    Winter squash

There are very few items on this list i dont love, lima beans is one, but the rest, YUM!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Go to a farmer's market or even the produce aisle and look around. Lots to choose from! If you have no idea what to do with the produce either hit the library and get a couple of cook books (veggie specific, whole foods or vegetarian would be good choices) or just use your google-fu skills. Most of them can be steamed, sauteed or roasted with good results. Many can also be made into a ginormous salad and enjoyed raw!