MFP Calorie Calculator Wrong????

Options
I am so confused as to what to really follow that it is driving me crazy. I keep reading not to eat below BMR but why does MFP tell me to eat below BMR then? My BMR is 2400 and MFP is telling me to eat 2010 calories. My question is if MFP calcs are correct or are they totally wrong. I see people following them and having success. I myself have had success by following MFP so far and I am just three weeks in. I would really like to hear whats whats. I am sure I am not alone with all this confusion. PLEASE someone help me because I am going crazy trying to figure out what to do.

Replies

• ldominguez1986
    ldominguez1986 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am so confused as to what to really follow that it is driving me crazy. I keep reading not to eat below BMR but why does MFP tell me to eat below BMR then? My BMR is 2400 and MFP is telling me to eat 2010 calories. My question is if MFP calcs are correct or are they totally wrong. I see people following them and having success. I myself have had success by following MFP so far and I am just three weeks in. I would really like to hear whats whats. I am sure I am not alone with all this confusion. PLEASE someone help me because I am going crazy trying to figure out what to do.

There are conflicting messages on these boards. The reason MFP tells you to go below BMR is because the BMR is what your body needs to stay on even ground. Eating 10 - 20% less is how you start losing weight, by having a calorie deficit. Don't worry, it knows what it's doing :)
  • ShaeSweetie
    ShaeSweetie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i posted a similar thing about this actually! i did alot of research on it..MFP gave me 1300 calories a day to eat and that was barley anything..i had to bump mine up a bit. im 5 foot 11 and athletic..that doesnt cut it for me! if you know how to use MFP and can somehow find my old post about it someone explained it to me...I hear your supposed to calculate your TDEE and your BMR..and i believe your supposed to eat less than you TDEE but more than your BMR...do some googling...i upped my calories to 1500..because if you eat too little your body could go into starvation mode and instead of losing fat its going to hang onto it since it doesnt know when your going to feed your body again..hope this helped somewhat? or just made you more confused haha goood luck!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    because its just a calculator. you tell it you want to lose 0.5-2 lbs a week and it figures a deficit based on your tdee.. it doesnt take your bmr into account other than to get your tdee. the lower your goal loss per week, the closer your daily calories will be to your BMR. do you have yours set to 2 lbs a week? try changing it to one lb and see where that puts you
    i try not to net less than my bmr - and for sure no lower than my goal weight bmr
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options

There are conflicting messages on these boards. The reason MFP tells you to go below BMR is because the BMR is what your body needs to stay on even ground. Eating 10 - 20% less is how you start losing weight, by having a calorie deficit. Don't worry, it knows what it's doing :)

This is wrong. Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn every day just staying alive. If you were in a coma, your body would still use your BMR. Since you're moving around and typing, I'm going to say it's safe to assume you're not in a coma so you need to ALWAYS eat above your BMR to give your body enough calories to do basic things (like pump blood).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Wrong!

Please Google what the BMR, you are thinking of TDEE. BMR is much more Basic (or Basal) than that.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    So if MFP has been working for you just keep going with what you are doing until it doesn't, then start looking for answers. There are lots of "experts" on here, all with differing opinions, just do what works for you. MFP calculations are working fine for me.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I suspect you are talking about your TDEE - rather than your BMR...... as 2400 sounds just a bit too high to be your BMR....

Rule of thumb - eat 20% less than TDEE.....and never below BMR - and I am sure I have seen a suggestion that you should eat at least 200 calories above BMR....
  • heybales
    Options

Why?
    Because MFP wants to keep subscribers, because better numbers means more advertising money coming in.

So you can obtain a weight loss for some period of time before your metabolism slows down. By then you have seen some good results, maybe up to 3-4 weeks depending on badly it happened, and you'll stick around, ask on the forums, and get the advice you are about to get right now.

You told MFP your activity level not including exercise - sedentary.
    You told MFP your desired weight loss - 2 lbs weekly , despite recommendation to make it 1 lb, but we'll see that is alright.

MFP calc'd your BMR (Tools - BMR Calc) x 1.25 for sedentary activity, and came up with maintenance calories, or daily activity calories (Home - Goals page).
    They then subtracted 1000 for your desired 2 lbs weekly.

If the math went under 1200, you got 1200 - like probably the majority of women.

Same thing with you, just higher numbers.

Now - here is where you probably luck out. With a BMR calc that high, I know you have a lot of weight to lose. With a lot of weight probably comes a lot of fat, unless you have been doing weight lifting the whole time and have great ratio of fat to lean mass.

The BMR calc is based on studies of people AT healthy weight, overweight and overfat means the BMR is over-estimated.
    Probably not by the 400 undercut you got, but easily by 200.

I'd suggest you select a goal of 1.5 lbs weekly. That will put you right at what your true BMR probably could be, still about 200 under calculated.

Does that mean that's all you'll lose?

Do you know how many calories you really expend in a day? Do you think that selecting sedentary told MFP exactly how many?

Not at all.

Now - to add to the fun. If you exercise and burn 500 calories, guess what your BMR is not getting now? 500 calories, back to NET'ing about 2000 or less, so same problem.

That's why with exercise, you are given credit calories to eat back, so your deficit stays exactly the same.

Secret for you though, if you can keep your exercise to just walking slower than 3mph, or about as strenuous as your other daily activity with movement, you are just adding on mainly fat-provided calorie burns, and you only need to eat back 1/2 of those cals.
    Plus, walking is much more accurate in the exercise calorie estimates. And it won't hurt the joints.

Because your deficit should come from daily activity, that which uses fat mainly, and walking just adds more of it.

Glad you were concerned and caught the issue. You may still look at and click on the ads, they'll be thrilled.
  • heybales
    Options
    I suspect you are talking about your TDEE - rather than your BMR...... as 2400 sounds just a bit too high to be your BMR....

Rule of thumb - eat 20% less than TDEE.....and never below BMR - and I am sure I have seen a suggestion that you should eat at least 200 calories above BMR....

Actually, BMR 2408 x 1.25 sedentary = 3010 - 1000 = 2010 - his goal as MFP gave it.

Nope, he stated it correctly.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much weight you have to lose. The more you have to lose, the longer your body can handle being at a large deficit. Let's say you told MFP you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. It would give you a deficit to help make that happen even if it's below your BMR. It's a computer calculating what you told it to so we have to use our own discretion. For many of us, not all, especially once we added heavier exercise in, weight loss stalled while running at a large deficit. The answer when that day comes is to increase your calories. While you're seeing results I don't see a reason to change anything. If you hit a plateau and the scale stops moving or you find that your energy level is not where it needs to be please consider bumping your cals up a bit. This is a really great group and you can read through some of the posts in the meantime. I learned a lot from them.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    Good luck to you!
  • d4rkn3ss06
    Options
    I've been successful at healthly loosing weight using MFP calculator!! It makes sense to me!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've been successful at healthly loosing weight using MFP calculator!! It makes sense to me!

Yup, MFP numbers worked for me...but I didn't ever choose an agressive weight loss goal (ie. 2 pounds a week), I started out with my goal set for 1/2 pound a week loss and after a while dropped it slightly but never went very low.
    I used MFP exercise numbers too..... so it really can work.

I think the key is to set realistic goals, try them out for a while then tweak them depending on the results you're getting.
    And not to overthink it! All the numbers we are working with are estimates, hence the need to try it a see.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    I agree with you.. there seems to just be too much information out there.
    I've been on MFP since August last year and slowly lost weight as I kept trying different things all the time based on what people were saying was correct.
    This being said. I've taken it straight back to basics. Instead of worrying if I'm eating the right amount, or if I'm over on carbs or protein or whaterever, instead of worrying about what exercise I should be doing to best help my weight loss.. I'm back to basics.

I came up with my own plan and I'm sticking to it. People can tell me I'm eating wrong, or that I'm doing the wrong exercise.. but what I'm doing is working GREAT for me.
    I started 2 weeks ago and set my cals to 1550 (as I don't want to eat too little) and split my macros 40/30/30.
    My workout routine is as follows:
    Monday - run treadmill (1.5km in 15min or less)
    Tuesday - strength training
    Wednesday - run treadmill (1.5km in 15min or less)
    Thursday - I play indoor soccer
    Friday - strength training

Now people may say I'm doing things wrong or that I should change this or that - but this is what is working for me.. I've lose 4.2lbs in just over a week. (some water)

What I'm trying to say is don't get too caught up in the things you read, as in my case I never actually got around to doing any one thing efficiently - and it backfired. Best lesson I've learnt so far.
  • heybales
    Options
    I've been on MFP since August last year and slowly lost weight as I kept trying different things all the time based on what people were saying was correct.
    This being said. I've taken it straight back to basics. Instead of worrying if I'm eating the right amount, or if I'm over on carbs or protein or whaterever, instead of worrying about what exercise I should be doing to best help my weight loss.. I'm back to basics.

I came up with my own plan and I'm sticking to it. People can tell me I'm eating wrong, or that I'm doing the wrong exercise.. but what I'm doing is working GREAT for me.
    I started 2 weeks ago and set my cals to 1550 (as I don't want to eat too little) and split my macros 40/30/30.

Now people may say I'm doing things wrong or that I should change this or that - but this is what is working for me.. I've lose 4.2lbs in just over a week. (some water)

What I'm trying to say is don't get too caught up in the things you read, as in my case I never actually got around to doing any one thing efficiently - and it backfired. Best lesson I've learnt so far.

Oh, gotta warn ya, this is going to, .... well, ..... work really well probably.

Now, in 3 weeks we'll see you on the topics about "I've stalled" and sharing the great advice you've gleaned.

Oh, I really doubt with eating more, and topping off glucose/water stores, you've lost water weight. I'd suggest some real weight.

Now you'll have the fun of worrying about the workouts down the road when you get really good and intense with them!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Oh, gotta warn ya, this is going to, .... well, ..... work really well probably.

Now, in 3 weeks we'll see you on the topics about "I've stalled" and sharing the great advice you've gleaned.

Oh, I really doubt with eating more, and topping off glucose/water stores, you've lost water weight. I'd suggest some real weight.

Now you'll have the fun of worrying about the workouts down the road when you get really good and intense with them!

Well it worked for me and always has.

1200 calories per day here, never stalled since starting on 1st Januray 2012, even though people said it would happen - it did not. 5lbs away from goal weight now and I am not skinny fat, hungry or lethargic - at all.

I do running every other day, I go into those exercise calories by 50 to 100 ONLY.

It depends on what a person eats mind.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I keep reading not to eat below BMR but why does MFP tell me to eat below BMR then?

The calculator works out a calorie deficit to meet your weight loss goals. That will often be below BMR particularly if you enter sedentary and hence your Total Daily Energy Expenditure isn't much higher than BMR and the deficit will take you below.

If you don't like the answer give it a lower goal or manually set the targets to where you want them.

"not to eat below BMR" is broscience prevailing on the forum, I can see why it confused you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you need to ALWAYS eat above your BMR to give your body enough calories to do basic things (like pump blood)

This is wrong. You don't need to eat at 5am to keep your heart going, your body takes energy from reserves. You can fast for a couple of days without issue. etc etc.

Similarly if you eat less than your TDEE it takes energy from fat reserves. Eating less than BMR is just another arbitrary mathematical milestone, your body will sort out it's energy balance that's for sure.

I doubt our ancestors were able to eat their TDEE every day, or their BMR, so we evolved some useful energy storage and recovery mechanisms.
  • ldominguez1986
    ldominguez1986 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Realistically I am eating close to 2300-2400 calorie because of working out. does this make any difference?
  • heybales
    Options
    Realistically I am eating close to 2300-2400 calorie because of working out. does this make any difference?

It will help immensely.

It's a steep calorie cut combined with another big calorie cut from exercise never having been done before that is the bad double-whammy.

So your true BMR is probably about 200 below estimated. So you can probably lose the weight, BMR will fall naturally from that anyway, and hopefully you'll shortly be where you should be.

But as you get closer to goal weight, like at 20 lbs, you should select 1 lb weekly loss. or then the cut will be too bad.