What other veggies are there?

Options
13»

Replies

• OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on the Brussels sprouts and asparagus, but add on artichokes, string beans, peas, zucchini, leeks, and radishes.

Brussels sprouts really get a bad rap (as does asparagus) because most people have only ever eaten them so overcooked they are tasteless mush. Actually, scratch that, cooked to where the bitterness comes out and the actual FLAVOR is cooked out of them.

My favorite way to prepare Brussels Sprouts.

- Get a shallow pot of water up to boiling.
    - Cut just the very ends off the sprouts stems so they are clean. Remove any outer leaves that are browned.
    - Blanch (boil) sprouts until they darken, but JUST until they darken. This should take about a minute or two, no more.
    - Dump off the water and leave the sprouts in the pan.
    - Put the pan back on medium heat. Sautee the sprouts - the intention is to get some of the water evaporated off, but not to cook them too much more. The outer leaves will brown up a bit - this is OK.
    - Drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and continue sautee for a minute or so. Optionally add garlic.
    - Serve as-is or with some sort of cheese (I like to grate some hard cheese like asiago on it).

It may take a couple of tries before you get them perfect. The outer leaves should be just-ever-so-slightly crispy from the browning, the insides should be tender but not mushy. Once leaves start sloughing off the sprouts, you really don't want to cook them any more than it takes to brown the outsides a bit.

I've converted three sprout haters over to loving PROPERLY-COOKED sprouts.

But then again, I find canned peas revolting. My wife honestly thought all her life that she hated peas. Then I grew some in my garden (over her objections), and asked her to try some that I had just harvested, shelled, lightly cooked and added nothing to.

I cooked about two quarts. She ate nearly the whole batch. :)

The sad part is, she was brought up believing that there were actually health benefits from the salty, overcooked, nasty things you get out of a can, and that they were actually peas.

It's so sad what our processing of food does to vegetables.

COMPLETELY agree with you on the canned veggies - YUCK!!!!! Fresh = HEAVEN!!! I love brussel sprouts - I am SOOOO going to have to try them you way!! Thanks!!!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    mushroom! BABY SPINACH. chock full of vitamins, tastes amazing with a bit of light dressing and as a base for salads. yum yum
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    mash some celeriac with some potatoes (skins on)

My 10-month-old LOVES Parsnips. I usually cook them and mash them with potatoes to lessen the flavor for him.

dice up some tomatoes and cucumbers and a red onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice and herbs de provence and if you have calories to spare add a tbsp of olive oil
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    I also love zuccini, spinach, cuccumber!! Also the mini red, yelloe and green peppers are a staple in our refrigerator for dipping and just filling some hunger feelings..anyone else try them?:smile:
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on the Brussels sprouts and asparagus, but add on artichokes, string beans, peas, zucchini, leeks, and radishes.

Brussels sprouts really get a bad rap (as does asparagus) because most people have only ever eaten them so overcooked they are tasteless mush. Actually, scratch that, cooked to where the bitterness comes out and the actual FLAVOR is cooked out of them.

My favorite way to prepare Brussels Sprouts.

- Get a shallow pot of water up to boiling.
    - Cut just the very ends off the sprouts stems so they are clean. Remove any outer leaves that are browned.
    - Blanch (boil) sprouts until they darken, but JUST until they darken. This should take about a minute or two, no more.
    - Dump off the water and leave the sprouts in the pan.
    - Put the pan back on medium heat. Sautee the sprouts - the intention is to get some of the water evaporated off, but not to cook them too much more. The outer leaves will brown up a bit - this is OK.
    - Drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and continue sautee for a minute or so. Optionally add garlic.
    - Serve as-is or with some sort of cheese (I like to grate some hard cheese like asiago on it).

It may take a couple of tries before you get them perfect. The outer leaves should be just-ever-so-slightly crispy from the browning, the insides should be tender but not mushy. Once leaves start sloughing off the sprouts, you really don't want to cook them any more than it takes to brown the outsides a bit.

I've converted three sprout haters over to loving PROPERLY-COOKED sprouts.

But then again, I find canned peas revolting. My wife honestly thought all her life that she hated peas. Then I grew some in my garden (over her objections), and asked her to try some that I had just harvested, shelled, lightly cooked and added nothing to.

I cooked about two quarts. She ate nearly the whole batch. :)

The sad part is, she was brought up believing that there were actually health benefits from the salty, overcooked, nasty things you get out of a can, and that they were actually peas.

It's so sad what our processing of food does to vegetables.

That sounds AMAZING!!! My mom cooked everything to mush. Didn't matter what it was it had to be boiled for 30 minutes or it wasn't done. Ever been forced to eat sliced squash boiled for 30 minutes? No wonder I didn't like it. Now that I am out on my own and cook for myself I love squash, pumpkin, zucchini and all these things.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    another brussel sprout lover. i cut mine in half mi with a bit of olive oil, season with a little sea salt, pepper and lemon zest and bake in the oven until tender.

also cauliflower makes a great alternative to mash potato. just cook, put through a food processor and wham mashed cauilflower that can be used like mashed potatoes
  • rmkmdk
    rmkmdk Posts: 1
    Options
    Radishes, celery, tomatoes, red yellow and orange bell pepers, cabbage
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    <
    Artichokes. I'm obsessed. Trim, boil with half a lemon in the water then sprinkle with Greek Seasoning. LOVE!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You could try:
    cherry tomatoes (though they are technically a fruit) - I eat them as they are for a snack,
    zucchini - diced or grated, I put it in nearly everything I cook
    capsicum - great in pasta sauces, roast veggies, stir fries etc,
    mushrooms - panfry them in a touch of olive oil and some garlic, plus chilli if you like it
    spinach - use it for salads, chop it fine and put it into scrambled eggs, pasta sauce, stir fries etc,
    cauliflower - roast it and mix with pasta, add some lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, a splash of the pasta cooking water, salt and pepper
    brussel sprouts - don't overcook them, they are yummy when they are still bright green and only just tender.
    fennel - great in salads or roast veggies
    asparagus - steam or roast it and top with a squeeze of lemon juice and some black pepper.

The best idea though, would be to have a look at your local market or supermarket and see what is in season and on special in your area right now. Buy a little bit of something new and go home and google recipes until you find one you like. This is a great way to try out new flavours without spending too much or comitting yourself to a big bunch of something you don't like!