Sports Bras for Busty Ladies

Options
124»

Replies

• ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    would anyone know of where you can buy the bra's offline?! 40dd here

You might do OK at Lane Bryant. I haven't tried their sports bras, but they carry that size. Also Nordstroms and REI too.

I just called our local Lane Bryant stores and they don't carry sports bras in store, only online :(
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everybody, I NEED good sports bras!
  • kaatielove
    kaatielove Posts: 113
    Options
    Enell 100 sports bra
  • tgmshierry
    tgmshierry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump much needed information thanks :)
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    This is such a timely post. Too bad I went shopping last weekend.

I've always purchased my bras at the L'Eggs Outlet and was never fitted. Since I've lost a bit of weight, I really needed something with support but no one ever had my size. Saturday I went to Dillards (department store chain in US) and was fitted by a professional. Imagine my surprise when I found I was a 40 DDD and not a 46 DD. Now imagine my greater surprise at the difference in price--!2.99 vs. $60. Oh my gosh!!! This old lady knew bras were pricey nowadays, but $60 each? I bought 6 Wacoal's, price ranging from $45 to $60, using a 10% discount. All fit beautifully except the sports bra! As I haven't worn underwires in a couple of decades, I'm thinking that's the problem. (Bruised armpit!!) My daughter, the exercise queen, says she wouldn't dream of wearing a sports bra with underwires and suggested I check on-line. Trainer suggested Titlenine.com. BTW, wearing a bra that fits correctly visually takes off pounds. Every time I pass a mirror I do a double-take. Haven't looked this perky since before most of you were born.:laugh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This is such a timely post. Too bad I went shopping last weekend.

I've always purchased my bras at the L'Eggs Outlet and was never fitted. Since I've lost a bit of weight, I really needed something with support but no one ever had my size. Saturday I went to Dillards (department store chain in US) and was fitted by a professional. Imagine my surprise when I found I was a 40 DDD and not a 46 DD. Now imagine my greater surprise at the difference in price--!2.99 vs. $60. Oh my gosh!!! This old lady knew bras were pricey nowadays, but $60 each? I bought 6 Wacoal's, price ranging from $45 to $60, using a 10% discount. All fit beautifully except the sports bra! As I haven't worn underwires in a couple of decades, I'm thinking that's the problem. (Bruised armpit!!) My daughter, the exercise queen, says she wouldn't dream of wearing a sports bra with underwires and suggested I check on-line. Trainer suggested Titlenine.com. BTW, wearing a bra that fits correctly visually takes off pounds. Every time I pass a mirror I do a double-take. Haven't looked this perky since before most of you were born.:laugh:

Bruising is common if you're wearing a bra that's to small in the cup size (if it's the ribbing) or you need to go up in the band. Going from a 40DDD to a 42DD (it's sister size, which is about the same) may help (or a 40 with a larger cup). You'll know what seems better in the same bra when you try it on.

Sister sizes: I've been sized and where makes can be a little different I usually try on the same sizes (which should be about the same in most cases)
    30DD, 32D, 34C

Check out wikipedia for information on sizing differences.
  • morningsun3112
    morningsun3112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump for my girls :laugh:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Here is a litte for measuring at home. I found my real size when I measured under my bust at the top of my rib cage. This number is your band. If you are an odd #, try both the low and the high. Then measure around the fullest portion to get your cup. Fullest part of the bust - below your bust = cup size.
    A = 1 inch
    B = 2 inches
    C = 3
    D = 4
    DD/E = 5
    DDD/F = 6
    G = 7
    H= 8

This is very accurate for me. :) I also recommend going up in the cup, if it is tight vs going up in the band. Once the band doesn't fit flat, you risk the crappy "underboob" problem. And you always have to lift and adjust all day. Sadly, cups above DD are harder to find. Macy's usually has DDD. Nordstrom goes to about H or even K in some bras. Happy shopping!
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up ladies, there's a sale on barenecessities right now, with an extra discount for bras, so if you plan on getting any bras (or if you need some), I would order them asap. I'm trying to be good and not buy one of EVERYTHING, hahahaha. Good luck!
  • PiperGabrielle
    PiperGabrielle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people wearing their regular bras with a sports bra over it, you get the support and shape you need. I heard of this from my sister and it sounds like it would work