Exercising on empty stomach

Options
I've read a lot from both sides. Just curious to see what others on here think and if it's helped them. Should I exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? I read that it can speed weight loss cause it is burning more of the stored fat. Is it true that exercising a little while after a meal mostly burns that meal and not more stored fat? Like I said, I've heard a little on both sides but wondering which one is best and healthier.

Replies

• Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Id like to know also. I work out at 5 am and dont really want to eat before I work out. Id rather wait til after.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There are benefits to training fasted as long as you stick with it for a lengthy period of time.

Intermittent Fasting
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Two cups of coffee (and a bathroom break, lol) seem to work for me. I am simply NOT hungry at 5:30 a.m. I run some days, and alternate with strength training and haven't had any problems.
  • trinaparker
    Options
    Hi!! I too exercise early in the morning (06:30). My trainer said I needed to have at least SOMETHING in my stomach, ie.e small bowl of porridge or a banana which I usually have. Something slow release to give you the energy to exercise is fine, so I believe! ;-))
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I can but I can't put as much into it as if I've eaten, then I am ravenously hungry all day and horribly moody. Some orange juice beforehand helps me perform better and a slice of toast keeps me from murdering people at work later in the day
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    studies have shown that taking caffeine in the morning and doing cardio in a fasted state is beneficial to burning fat, personally I dont do that kind of thing because I fear losing muscle as well but for someone only trying to lose weight I would say go for it
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I personally can't work out on an empty stomach. It makes me feel faint, and I know I'm not working as hard as I could if I were properly fueled.
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'd say it definately helps to workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. For me it does anyway. I used to train in the evenings and then swapped to the mornings. Noticed it made a big difference to my body shape.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    If there is one thing I have learned over the last 10 years of living a healthy lifesytle is that there is no blanket statement, method, whatever, that works for everyone. Some people have success with not eating before working out. Others (like myself) need to eat before working out. Eating is never an issue for me early in the morning. I am up at 4am, eating by 4:05am and working out by 4:30am.

Intermitten fasting has been proven to work for some but if you play the numbers game, most people have success by fueling their body within 30 minutes of waking up. Try new things and see what works best for you and your body. Then stick with that.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I want to lose more belly fat. I look pregnant..... and I'm not! I have been eating better and exercising for about 2 weeks now and have lost 3 pounds. I have to say, I'm impatient! I don't do hardcore workouts. I have no endurance for that. So I do Leslie Sansone's walk at home dvds. I have noticed a difference in my thighs and my belly has gone down a bit BUT I want to lose more weight from my workouts.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I want to lose more belly fat. I look pregnant..... and I'm not! I have been eating better and exercising for about 2 weeks now and have lost 3 pounds. I have to say, I'm impatient! I don't do hardcore workouts. I have no endurance for that. So I do Leslie Sansone's walk at home dvds. I have noticed a difference in my thighs and my belly has gone down a bit BUT I want to lose more weight from my workouts.
    You're going to have to eventually move away from Leslie and do more vigorous work.
  • hg345
    hg345 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started running this time last year on an empty stomach. I wanted to run early so I wouldn't be seen (didn't want to see anyone I knew!) so I didn't have time to eat before I went. Each time I came back feeling faint so now I would never excercise without having eaten first.
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When we first wake up of course we are hungry because our body just went without food and water over night. I personally like eating before working out because It makes me feel stronger during the workout and the energy gets used a bit during the workout. Your body will also use fatty deposits because it takes awhile to 1. digest your food and 2. for that energy to get to where it needs.

During a workout though your body is focusing on working and not digestion so your taking away from digesting a bit. Having a shake or small meal is ideal because it doesn't have much work to do. If you have a big meal and work out your body gets confused on what to do.

Caffeine is a hunger suppressant....That is good and bad. Think about it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would try both methods and choose whichever one you enjoy more.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate exercising on an empty stomach. Other people hate exercising with food in their stomachs.

Try both and see which you like.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For the lean trying to get very lean (15% body fat or less for men, 22% or less for women), various strategies, including fasted cardio are probably going to be required to offset the mobization and blood flow defects. That’s why that specific group found decades ago that fasted morning cardio worked best. And why I wrote The Stubborn Fat Solution since it deals with how to overcome all of the problems.

But for folks who aren’t that lean yet, the folks in the middle range of body fat levels, it really doesn’t matter. The best time to do cardio will be whenever it will most consistently get done. If that’s first thing in the morning, fantastic. If not, also fantastic. It’s more important in this situation that it gets done than when it gets done.

Again, for the extremely obese, different strategies entirely are required but, again that would take a full article to address so I won’t talk about it here.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If I workout early, I do it on an empty stomach. I will not keep down food that early in the day, especially if I am working out. I don't feel hungry or weak either. Now, if I workout later in the day, it is not on an empty stomach. Then I will feel light headed and weak. What works best for you?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Something I have found is that if I have a late night snack, 200-ish calories, within 30 minuts of going to bed it is easier to workout in the early morning and I don't feel like I am starving when I am done.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I tryed it and do not seem to have enough energy. I find myself eating in the middle of my workout just to fuel.