The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    1. Since I have never lifted weights...and obviously not very strong, would 8 or 10 pound weights be a good starting point? 1(a). And do you increase the weight ( or resistance) on the next set...?

This depends entirely on your strength. 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15, whatever it may be... Give them all a try! You should be able to do 6-8 reps but no more than 10. If you can do more then 10 it's too light. (this changes as you go along as well... Constantly challenge yourself)

2. When the workout, obviously I will be starting on Stage 1, says that a particular exercise is stand alone... does that mean you do the total sets before moving to the next exercise?

Correct. Do all sets of that exercise as opposed to doing alternate exercises.

3. The first part of the book, about calories, and all the acronyms... do I understand correctly that its better to eat clean with fiel packed food.. and not really worry about calories? ( I have about 25-30 to still go... )

Still eat at your MFP goal but maybe change it to lose .5-1lb per week.

4. If you have done this technique... what are the percentages you are eating... Carbs, Fats, proteins... again, I dont mean to be stupid... but I barely kept up with the terms....

I am eating at around 40/30/30 and try to atleast stay within my calorie goal and eat 1gram protein for 1lb lean mass. (I am 112 lbs with 96 pounds lean mass)

Thank you!!!!!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

Thank you... you are always so helpful! AS far as the caolries... I am still confused... I understand the deficit...but in MFP it is low... I think 1400 calories... and I used teh calculation from the book, and its around 1700... so which one do i use?

Calories are tricky...very tricky. You're going to have experiment with different levels and methods and see what is best for you.

Perhaps start with the one from the book (minus 10% perhaps since you still want to lose). Do that for 4 weeks. No less! Make sure you are close enough to your projected weekly deficit to get a good idea of what's it doing. Reevaluate from there.

There's a complicated discussion of figuring out the ideal caloric level that can be had but I'll only go into detail if you want :)
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    Hell... the simplified one has me lost... so no ma'am... I dont need you to go further! :)
  • chuisle
    Options
    Hell... the simplified one has me lost... so no ma'am... I dont need you to go further! :)

Good idea. If you aren't see any fat change then change. Ideally you want to eat as much as possible while still losing. Since you are new to this you may actually be able achieve the ever illusive losing fat while also gaining muscle.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey! Since we are new friends I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I don't do NROLW, but I do lift heavy and hard. My biggest piece of advice to you is to EASE into this. I know you're super motivated, so that in itself may be a challenge. You have your whole life to lift heavy, so don't feel rushed at all. It won't take a lot for you to get sore right now. If you overdo, you risk 2 things: 1) extreme soreness to the point where you have trouble functioning (I've been there, and this is where 90% of people quit lifting) and 2) injury (I've been here too--several times).

I lifted for years in my 20s, but after my children were born, I did nothing for 4 long years. So when I started back, I was virtually a beginner and a couple of exercises with 5 lb weights made me very sore....that's okay!!! You're body is an unbelievably adaptable machine, and you'll get stronger quickly. I started back in January, and the whole month I was thinking "hold back--leave some gas in the tank" during my workouts....and believe me I still got SORE!!! But I was also able to function. With 2 small children, I don't have the option of laying around...I have to be able to move. Anyway, after that first 4-5 weeks, I was able to kick it into high gear and now I hold NOTHING back in my workouts. I just wanted you to know that lifting heavy is GREAT, but it's also no joke, especially for those of us who aren't teenagers. Don't rush, don't feel competitive about it, it'll happen. Your body will thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    He does but I pretty much ignored that and did 3x 8-10. Essentially you should be struggling to finish. :)
    1. Since I have never lifted weights...and obviously not very strong, would 8 or 10 pound weights be a good starting point? 1(a). And do you increase the weight ( or resistance) on the next set...?

This depends entirely on your strength. 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15, whatever it may be... Give them all a try! You should be able to do 6-8 reps but no more than 10. If you can do more then 10 it's too light. (this changes as you go along as well... Constantly challenge yourself)

2. When the workout, obviously I will be starting on Stage 1, says that a particular exercise is stand alone... does that mean you do the total sets before moving to the next exercise?

3. The first part of the book, about calories, and all the acronyms... do I understand correctly that its better to eat clean with fiel packed food.. and not really worry about calories? ( I have about 25-30 to still go... )

4. If you have done this technique... what are the percentages you are eating... Carbs, Fats, proteins... again, I dont mean to be stupid... but I barely kept up with the terms....

I am eating at around 40/30/30 and try to atleast stay within my calorie goal and eat 1gram protein for 1lb lean mass. (I am 112 lbs with 96 pounds lean mass)

On #1, the book says during pase 1 do 2 sets of 15?
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    Hey! Since we are new friends I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I don't do NROLW, but I do lift heavy and hard. My biggest piece of advice to you is to EASE into this. I know you're super motivated, so that in itself may be a challenge. You have your whole life to lift heavy, so don't feel rushed at all. It won't take a lot for you to get sore right now. If you overdo, you risk 2 things: 1) extreme soreness to the point where you have trouble functioning (I've been there, and this is where 90% of people quit lifting) and 2) injury (I've been here too--several times).

I lifted for years in my 20s, but after my children were born, I did nothing for 4 long years. So when I started back, I was virtually a beginner and a couple of exercises with 5 lb weights made me very sore....that's okay!!! You're body is an unbelievably adaptable machine, and you'll get stronger quickly. I started back in January, and the whole month I was thinking "hold back--leave some gas in the tank" during my workouts....and believe me I still got SORE!!! But I was also able to function. With 2 small children, I don't have the option of laying around...I have to be able to move. Anyway, after that first 4-5 weeks, I was able to kick it into high gear and now I hold NOTHING back in my workouts. I just wanted you to know that lifting heavy is GREAT, but it's also no joke, especially for those of us who aren't teenagers. Don't rush, don't feel competitive about it, it'll happen. Your body will thank you! :flowerforyou:

Thank you my dear... I certainly dont feel like a youngin' tonight... but I am very motivated for a change! Tired of being sluggish, overweight and really trying to pretend that it didnt bother me...'cause it did!

I have never really cared about my appearance... but I do gotta say secretly and maybe shallow...would SO LOVE to wear a bikini again... but thats another post! Thanks again!
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    He does but I pretty much ignored that and did 3x 8-10. Essentially you should be struggling to finish. :)

Thank you...

On #1, the book says during pase 1 do 2 sets of 15?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Got through my first workout. Liked it but I'm so ingrained to do SO much that I felt I left being half done. He addresses the fact that a lot of the things we do are wasted time and energy so I'm banking on that with this program!
  • chuisle
    Options
    Got through my first workout. Liked it but I'm so ingrained to do SO much that I felt I left being half done. He addresses the fact that a lot of the things we do are wasted time and energy so I'm banking on that with this program!

You should feel it today. Plus, the program gets longer...a lot longer! Stage 3 workouts are 75 minutes for me. I think he wants to ease into it.

Also don't make the mistake I did when I was first lifting...you should be struggling to walk out of that gym, even if it was only 30 minutes. When I first started MFP weights were still something I thought of as a bonus after cardio and it took me a while to learn to push myself appropriately in the weight room.
  • jnh17
    Options

You should feel it today. Plus, the program gets longer...a lot longer! Stage 3 workouts are 75 minutes for me. I think he wants to ease into it.

Also don't make the mistake I did when I was first lifting...you should be struggling to walk out of that gym, even if it was only 30 minutes. When I first started MFP weights were still something I thought of as a bonus after cardio and it took me a while to learn to push myself appropriately in the weight room.

I started with *this* program yesterday, but I was still majorily sore for my regular routine from Monday so I was struggling out of the gym, I just don't know how much was from the actual workout! But I couldn't possibly have done more weight and gotten in all 15 reps so I feel pretty good about my start off weight choices.

But, how much "extra" activity did you do on your off days -- espeically in the first stage? I don't want to interfere with recovery but I also don't want to miss out on anything I can do extra, either. I'm definately not doing anything today (strenuous at least) because between Monday and yesterday, I'm super sore. I mean, I still have a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old I have to lift off the ground!
  • chuisle
    Options

I started with *this* program yesterday, but I was still majorily sore for my regular routine from Monday so I was struggling out of the gym, I just don't know how much was from the actual workout! But I couldn't possibly have done more weight and gotten in all 15 reps so I feel pretty good about my start off weight choices.

But, how much "extra" activity did you do on your off days -- espeically in the first stage? I don't want to interfere with recovery but I also don't want to miss out on anything I can do extra, either. I'm definately not doing anything today (strenuous at least) because between Monday and yesterday, I'm super sore. I mean, I still have a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old I have to lift off the ground!

Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track.

I shoot for 1-2 extra sessions outside of the program (I have through most stage). I am not a huge cardio lover so I don't miss being on the treadmill for hours but I still like a run or circuit session a few times a week. Mostly, just listen to your body. You want to feel fresh for lifting, that's your first priority. If you can do extra sessions and still have that, great. Otherwise, keep it low key. Perhaps try a week or two without extra sessions just to see how that feels and slowly add it back (similar to what I did).
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If there is something that you do regularly (like running) then you could still do this but don't feel that you have to add it in at this point.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jnh17
    Options

Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track.

I shoot for 1-2 extra sessions outside of the program (I have through most stage). I am not a huge cardio lover so I don't miss being on the treadmill for hours but I still like a run or circuit session a few times a week. Mostly, just listen to your body. You want to feel fresh for lifting, that's your first priority. If you can do extra sessions and still have that, great. Otherwise, keep it low key. Perhaps try a week or two without extra sessions just to see how that feels and slowly add it back (similar to what I did).

You're right. I think I'll go a couple of weeks without, then add back and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!
  • jnh17
    Options
    One more question, with the prone jackknife, does he make that progessively harder as the program goes on? The 8 per set felt too easy. Thank goodness I had to pray to get through the 15 step ups or I would've added more.
  • Limajuliet
    Limajuliet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Might need this soon!
  • chuisle
    Options
    One more question, with the prone jackknife, does he make that progessively harder as the program goes on? The 8 per set felt too easy. Thank goodness I had to pray to get through the 15 step ups or I would've added more.

As far as I know the prone jackknife doesn't have a harder variation but it gets harder as the reps of it get higher after the rest of your workout does too. I would also make sure you are doing it correctly (I wasn't at first)
  • jnh17
    Options

As far as I know the prone jackknife doesn't have a harder variation but it gets harder as the reps of it get higher after the rest of your workout does too. I would also make sure you are doing it correctly (I wasn't at first)

After I did them, I wasn't sure either so I watched about 5 youtube videos and as awkward as I felt, I'm pretty sure I was doing it right.

I was wondering if I could sub hack squats for regular squats? My gym doesn't really have a squat rack and I'm afraid when I start squatting pretty heavy, I won't be able to get the bar up and over my head safely.
  • chuisle
    Options

After I did them, I wasn't sure either so I watched about 5 youtube videos and as awkward as I felt, I'm pretty sure I was doing it right.

I was wondering if I could sub hack squats for regular squats? My gym doesn't really have a squat rack and I'm afraid when I start squatting pretty heavy, I won't be able to get the bar up and over my head safely.

Hmmm. that's a tough one. You're right, you need some sort of rack, if you have clean everything you squat you will be very limited. Do you have smith machines?