Question on 5k run..

Options
..what is a good time to run a 5k in? I've been working towards 25mins but I dont know if that is good or bad....someone once told me running a mile in 9mins is good going?

I'm nowhere near that yet, I run every day and plan to be able to do it by June in 25 mins. I started doing 5k a day on 1st Jan 2012, but I couldn't run it then and just about managed to walk it in 70 mins, I knocked 10mins off of that in Feb, then a further 10 mins in March and so far in April I am down to running/jogging/walking it in 44 mins....So I'm thining that 25 mins is totally manageable?

Replies

• shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a race time or just running 5K for a workout?

There are many factors to take into account here. Everyone is different. You have to factor in age, amount of training mileage, natural ability, the course, the weather, etc.

All that being said, 25 mins is highly respectable for a female runner, but it's not local class. It translates to just over an 8:00 mile.

If I read your post correctly, you are covering 5K in 44 minutes right now. That's a 14:10 pace. That's at 2:00 per mile difference from a month ago. This is good progress, but the performance curve is not linear. The faster you get, the more difficult it is and the more time and work it takes to get faster still. If you were to race a 5K, based on that activity, I would say you may be able to manage something in the 11:00 to 12:00 minute range. You may even surprise yourself.

Regardless of your time, go out there and have fun. Keep being consistent and the improvements will come.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    25 minutes is a pretty fast 5K (my best 5K race time so far has been 26:46) and 9 minute miles would give you a 28 min 5K (still a very respectable time). There are quite a number of factors at play, fitness, natural ability, running economy and genetics.

If this is your first 5K I'd actually suggest not worrying as much about your finishing time as having a good time and crossing the finish line with a smile on your face. As a new runner place your emphasis on endurance rather than speed - the speed will come later.

Have fun!
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My first goal was to finish one without walking. From there I like to just try and finish faster than I did before. I am a slow runner (my fastest so far is 30:50 and would love to break 30) so a 9 minute mile is pretty impressive to me! I have now done 2 10K's at a faster pace than my first 5K and am pretty happy with that. I understand that adding distance during your training runs will build your endurance and help you run faster at the shorter distances.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I wasnt looking at running a 5k at the moment, there is a 5k running a 5k for cancer research in July this year and I would like to run the whole thing. At the moment I just run it for exercise and have impressed myself if I'm being honest....I never thought I would be able to run at my current weight never mind managing to do it for as long as I am at the moment.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Plus, an additional question. I currently run/walk a 5K in about 40 minutes. My goal is to get to 35 minutes this summer. I try really hard not to compare myself to those who are running them in under 30 minutes as a starting point, as we're all different, but I think some advice from someone who started like me would be great. I don't know how to get faster! My legs could go on forever and ever, but my heartrate goes nuts and I have to slow down and walk. Anyone know breathing techniques I can practice or a way to condition my heart and lungs (does that sound nuts?)?
  • collinj8
    collinj8 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started 4 weeks ago training using the couch to the 5K program. I am not worried about a time as this would be my first 5K. Although I would like to get done in under 40 minutes.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Plus, an additional question. I currently run/walk a 5K in about 40 minutes. My goal is to get to 35 minutes this summer. I try really hard not to compare myself to those who are running them in under 30 minutes as a starting point, as we're all different, but I think some advice from someone who started like me would be great. I don't know how to get faster! My legs could go on forever and ever, but my heartrate goes nuts and I have to slow down and walk. Anyone know breathing techniques I can practice or a way to condition my heart and lungs (does that sound nuts?)?

The only way is to continue to run. There are no magic breathing patterns that are going to give you a higher level of fitness. Just breathe like you need to breathe. Continue what you are doing, while gradually increasing the amount of time you are running and decreasing the amount of time you are walking until you get to the point where you aren't walking at all. Then, start to bump up the distance a little bit at a time. Don't try to run faster right now, just work on being able to run for a longer period of time. As you running fitness improves and your body becomes more efficient, your time will come down on it's own. The key is to just be consistent.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    kace406
    I started out very similar to you and ran w/o walking my first 5K last November in 34 min. I would suggest you slow down and focus on the time you are able to run rather than the distance. I found that once I was able to run without stopping for 35-40 minutes it became so much easier to increase my time (and distance). I am by no means fast but now my average run is around 4 miles with one longer (5-6 miles) once a week. Hope to run my 3rd 10K next Saturday and hoping to improve on my previous 1:06 time. It is amazing what our bodies are capable of!
    Good Luck
  • aspethe
    aspethe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to run practice 5ks at about 11-12 min/mil, but now I run at about 10. I finished an actual 5k race in 28 min, that's a little over 9 (i think race environment helps improve timing) . i'm no expert, but I think in my case it was because of reduction in weight (almost 12 pounds lighter) and some practice. Also, went to a specialty shop and got running shoes from there... it all helps.

Agree with one of the other posters, endurance first, speed later....enjoy running....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My fastest time was 24:59 during a race, but I rarely run faster than a 9 minute mile when just running alone.

A 10 minute mile will put you in the middle of the pack at most races. The men who win around here are typically around 18 minutes or less, and around 21 minutes for women.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It's so easy to get caught up on times, especially when I'm often at the back of the pack, but I'll take the advice and start focusing more on endurance. I do want to be able to run the whole thing without walking. I'll make that my goal for the summer, rather than the 35 minutes. The 35 minutes will come.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    What is "good" is such a personal thing. Last year, I ran a 5K in 36 mins. For me, that was awesome, because I finished without walking. This year, same race, I ran it in 29:29. Again, awesome (for me) because my goal was to break 30 mins. That equates to a 10:00 ish mile pace. I will continue to get faster because I continue to run and do intervals when I can.

Set your own goals and don't worry about what is "good" or not. I am not winning any medals (yet :bigsmile: ) but I am losing weight, getting stronger and feeling great.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ..what is a good time to run a 5k in? I've been working towards 25mins but I dont know if that is good or bad....someone once told me running a mile in 9mins is good going?

I'm nowhere near that yet, I run every day and plan to be able to do it by June in 25 mins. I started doing 5k a day on 1st Jan 2012, but I couldn't run it then and just about managed to walk it in 70 mins, I knocked 10mins off of that in Feb, then a further 10 mins in March and so far in April I am down to running/jogging/walking it in 44 mins....So I'm thining that 25 mins is totally manageable?

It's better than most people can do but I really wouldn't say 9min mile is fast.

However I would work to your own goals, as long as you are improving its all good. There will always be people faster than you. :)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It's so easy to get caught up on times, especially when I'm often at the back of the pack, but I'll take the advice and start focusing more on endurance. I do want to be able to run the whole thing without walking. I'll make that my goal for the summer, rather than the 35 minutes. The 35 minutes will come.

Yes it will!!
  • lyle666blue
    Options
    I run 5k in about 27/28 mins. Is that any good for a novice runner on a treadmil or do i need to up my pace. I run about 6.3 -6.6 mph
  • Sacrip
    Sacrip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's a good time. If you're looking for an objective measure of running times, I'd recommend checking the army PT standards for the 2 mile run. They're scaled by age and gender for minimum (60 points) to maximum (100 points) per event. It won't necessarily tell you how good of shape you're in overall, but it's a helpful baseline.
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Saying a certain pace is fast/not fast always hits a nerve with me (not at you personally). Everyone is so different. I've been running since 1996, at all different paces across the spectrum depending on my fitness, whether I was injured, and what I was doing. I get many offers as a running partner, but my main rule is if you are going to run with me to check your patronizing at the door. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I was damaging my knees, acting as food police, telling me how slow/fast I was, or giving me running advice (when they know nothing about running). It can be such a fun activity if you let it be. Set goals, but let it be based on how you are running now.

But that's not what you asked here. You want to be faster. You can incorporate speed drills into your training plan. You can do that once a week, or at the end of one or two of your runs. You can Google for some, I know that Runner's World has plenty of speed drills. Working on your core will give you better stability and will make you less injury prone. Injury increases during strenous activity your body is not used to such as speed drills or hill repeats, so you want to do some core workouts so you don't have to stop running. Good luck!
  • runfastmom
    runfastmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    a 25 min 5k can be local class depending on your age and gender
  • 1meik1
    1meik1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started running 5k distance last Friday since then have completed several more times and im averaging 27:59 average min/mi is 9.00