Replies

• leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink it black. It's better, anyway :)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    black coffee actually speeds up your metabolism, i usually have 1/2 big cup a day
    however it dehydrates you so make sure you also drink a cup of water extra for every cup of coffee
  • rwindover
    rwindover Posts: 20
    Options
    There was a time when I couldn't have coffee without sugar, now I can't stand the sugar...too sweet for me. I was forced to cut out sugar when backpacking it wasn't always available.

Work gradually to cut out sugar - from 4 to 3 to 2 and so on. You will be surprised in a months time how much you like it!

All the best!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't cut them out. Diet soda and coffee are great for losing weight. In my opinion their benefits far out-weight their setbacks.

While diet soda does lack calories, it is not good or losing weight.
  • SherieCarter
    SherieCarter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Woah, man. There's no way I could ever give up my coffee. I allow myself one cup a day, and I use the Great Value French Vanilla creamer. Sure, it's probably bad for me. But I am allowing myself ONE cheat a day. Some people allow themselves a piece of chocolate a day? I allow myself my yummy creamer. I'm still steadily losing the weight because all I drink for the rest of the day is water, and I like it that way.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i drink 2-3 cans of diet pepsi a week. it used to be 1-2 a day. coffee, however, is here to stay. period. calorie content is low and you can control what you add to it. moreover, you can always take it black.
  • carolyns19
    Options
    When I started eating much cleaner, I found I "needed" it less b/c I wasn't as sleepy or sluggish. I replaced my morning coffee with chai tea (black tea bags) steeped in almond milk. Like other people have mentioned, I've "stepped down" my sugar intake. I used to use 60 cal almond milk with maple syrup as sweetener, then just the 60 cal almond milk, and now I do 50/50 60 cal almond milk with 40 cal almond milk. Generally, my goal is to cut out the added sugar all together. This step down process has been gradual over 3 months...(stopped drinking coffee about 1/2 month in)...
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't quit! I drink 1 cup a day on weekdays and 2 on weekends, with nonfat milk (warmed up and whipped with an aerolatte), add a tablespoon of raw honey. Wonderful! If I need it a bit sweeter, I add some stevia. I can also sometimes drink coffee with unsweetened almond milk if I'm really worrying about calories. Good luck whatever you decide!
  • sweeticedt
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee since I was 8! What I needed was something hot to continue drinking in place of coffee. I chose caffeine free teas. And I take B12 around the time I need my cup of joe. I also, took Fastin an over the counter weight loss pill that contains caffeine and broke it in half. Now I don't even take that! BUT it did take me 2 weeks.

Hope this helps some!
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I cut out all the soda in the house by buying other drinks
    I cut out (starting like today) the dunkin doughnuts icced latte with flavor by picking up caffinated organic tea.
    I usually have a diet soda with lunch, idk how that will go over, I'm not tired so I may just get some juice or more tea or something.

But coffee? I don't cut out coffee. I buy organic sugar and use just a little bit, and skim milk. Or sometimes I buy hazlenut coffee and drink it black. Regular coffee has quite a few health benefits, so as long as you watch what you put IN the coffee it'll be good.

I used to be one of those people that liked a little coffee with their cream and sugar, but I knew it was so bad drinking it that way, so I just slowly started reducing the cream and sugar untill I got used to the taste of it without. I can drink it black now without too much trouble :)

Good luck!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking caffeinated coffee almost 5 years ago. Occasionally I will have a diet soda with caffeine in it, but I mostly try to avoid it. It was really hard for the first week or two, but I don't miss it now. Between getting rid of the caffeine and working out in the morning, I have more than enough energy to make it through the day.

I see my coworkers drag themselves into work at 9:00am with coffee in hand, after I have already been at the gym for 2 hours before work, and know that caffeine is an addictive drug, and doesn't really benefit you. I drink 3-4 cups of decafe, black, a day because I like the idea of a warm drink, and it supposedly has some health benefits.

Also if you tend to put cream and sugar in your coffee, it's a lot of extra calories. 2 sugars and half and half push a cup of coffee up to almost 100 calories! 3 or 4 of those a day adds up quick!
  • punkrosette
    punkrosette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink more coffee now on my diet than I did before! I started with 2% milk and no sugar flavors but now I use Almond breeze milk and if I need flavor I use sugar free syrups. If I just need a taste of sweetness I use honey. It's actually quite addictive :drinker:
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would never give up coffee! I have a latte with honey every morning.

I have never been a fan of soda, so I never drink those, but from what I read, the artificial sweeteners in the diet ones are worse for you than the sugar. Of course, if you are drinking them all day it's a whole different story.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee lover and have tried to give it up a time or two.

My coworkers *begged* me to start drinking it again.

I make room for my coffee, as I do for my glass of wine or my Vodka and Diet Tonic and that piece of chocolate I need every so often through the week.

It's a life style change and it's up to you how you'd like to live the rest of your life.

Me, I'm learning to pick foods that fill me up and how to eat a balanced diet in conjunction with excercise. I've done the fads and they go away because they aren't sustainable for life.

At the end of the day, I wear my sunscreen and don't smoke, but Splenda and Diet Coke don't frighten me. Everything can be bad for you in insane amounts, so just be judicious and live your life :smile:

O, and I take my venti iced coffee at Starbucks with three splendas and non-fat milk.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Same here as what several others have already mentioned .... I still have my morning cup of coffee every day, but I did quit cold turkey on the Splenda just a couple of weeks ago. It was tough at first because I've been drinking sweetened coffee for years, but after about 3-4 days I started getting used to it.

I don't even remember the last time I had a soda.
  • elli0821
    elli0821 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use So Delicious - coconut milk French vanilla creamer... They have an original also. For sugar I use Stevia... It is an all natural sugar sub. I have also found that when using the creamer... (only 20 Cals) I really do not need stevia because the creamer has enough taste to make it taste good...
  • ChrissyMonster
    Options
    I had to cut out coffee during pregnancy :( That sucked. Now with two boys ... I definitely needs mah coffeeeeeee.
    I find it hard to cut the sugar completely out, so I just end up walking an extra half mile each day <3
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    1. Buy quality coffee (not that instant stuff :noway: , the freshly ground beany deliciousness that you can brew in a few minutes :love: )
    2. Don't worry about using sweeteners, just cut down on the sugar (15calories for a teaspoonful of demerara sugar in my coffee is completely worth it for me!)
  • wantolossweight
    Options
    I dp mpt wamt to stop drinking coffee but I really need to cut out the sugar (1 tsp per cup) don't thinks art. sweetners are good for most people. sugar in my coffee uses up calories I could use for healthy snacks
    :smile:
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I switched from coffee to green tea - I don't regret it at all.

I have coffee once a week.... sometimes I miss my "treat" and don't really miss it at all.

This is what I did too! I love tea now! But if you don't like tea maybe take some sugar out of your coffee... I can't drink my coffee, tea or ice tea with sugar anymore, I think it's a taste you have to get use too!