Heavy lifting, but where to start

Options

Replies

• Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    There are also video programs out that you could use if you don't want to start lifting at the gym. I do ChaLean Extreme. (Frankly, I live in a SUPER small town and there is no gym). Also, Power 90, P90X, and Tamilee Webb videos (she was the Buns of Steel gal). My favorite place to check out videos is www.collagevideo.com or Beachbody.com. Most of the videos allow you to use either hand weights or resistance tubing. I had been a little anti-tubing for a long time, but have just started using them (as I can't afford to buy more weights right now) and I am really getting some good results. Good luck!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    What everyone else said....

But here are a couple of programs for free on the web... They are slightly different in focus but will both get you lifting :)

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    New rules will get you in the right direction and answer those questions. Most people, aside from some in a bulk phase, do cardio opposite days of weight lifting.

One exercise is needed for a full body workout: The squat. ;) Soon you will learn the beauty of multi-joint exercises and will laugh at all the barbies standing on bosu balls in the squat rack curling their pink dumbells. After you're done laughing, you'll hit a new one-rep-max squat with 150lbs on your traps.

Two things that are paramount:
    1) START LIGHT. Even if you are SheHulk and can deadlift 300lbs untrained, still start with the naked bar.
    2) FORM FORM, FORM, and FORM.
    PS - FORM.

agreed you don't wanna hurt yourself and get turned off to it.....Start with just the bar and work up Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Soon you will learn the beauty of multi-joint exercises and will laugh at all the barbies standing on bosu balls in the squat rack curling their pink dumbells. After you're done laughing, you'll hit a new one-rep-max squat with 150lbs on your traps.

LOL!!!

Ok, so form is obviously important, but I need someone to show me, right? It doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you can get easily from a book.

You can use www.bodybuilding.com for info on how to perform certain lifts. Click the "SuperSite" tab and on the left you can "exercises". These will give photos or videos on how to perform hundreds of exercises.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    There is really only 1 lift you need for a full body work out: Deadlifts! You can look it up on youtube to see it in action and to get the form right. I'd have a trainer spot you and help you nail the form. But some other great lifts are squats, lunges, and the clean and press. To find your zone with the weights and using a bar, start only with the bar and then gradually up the weight. Better to start too light than too heavy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ok, so form is obviously important, but I need someone to show me, right? It doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you can get easily from a book.

You can learn a great deal from books and videos. Starting Strength (both the book and video) have been invaluable to me. Of course, there is no substitute for a good coach. Emphasis on "good". I'd even be a little leery of the random trainer in the random gym.
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

In my gym, all the men stand in front of the mirrors doing their weights and there is the occassional gorgeous girl with them, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot, doing everything wrong and injuring myself from lifting.

The muscle boys aren't as judgmental as everyone seems to think. Mostly they won't even look at you. They will even help out if you ask them.

Any muscle boys out there??? Do you agree with me?

I'm sure they're not all judgemental, but I've heard a couple of the guys in my gym making letchy comments about the 'barbies with the pink dumbells' and that's put me off going near them!

They might scoff at the barbies with pink dumbbells, but they'd probably fall over themselves to help you do a 'real' workout and learn to lift. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

You can learn a great deal from books and videos. Starting Strength (both the book and video) have been invaluable to me. Of course, there is no substitute for a good coach. Emphasis on "good". I'd even be a little leery of the random trainer in the random gym.

Totally agree. Watch some good videos like what's been posted. Not only will you see how the form should look and get tips on how to improve. You'll recognize other lifters in your gym that practice good form and you can ask them for assistance.
  • duranchick72
    duranchick72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get The New Rules of Lifting for Women! I started a month ago, have made great progress and think its the best way to go! Good Luck!!!
  • Limajuliet
    Limajuliet Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I have asked for this for my birthday, which is on Sunday :blushing: here's hoping!
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking the guy quietly doing his workout. You want the quiet guy because the loud guy is a d'bag and will probably waste your time talking about himself.

There are few things I would interrupt my workout with. A newb genuinely asking for help is one of those few things.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for women.... LOVE IT!! I am just starting stage two. I have lost quite a bit of inches but I am looking more muscular.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Soon you will learn the beauty of multi-joint exercises and will laugh at all the barbies standing on bosu balls in the squat rack curling their pink dumbells. After you're done laughing, you'll hit a new one-rep-max squat with 150lbs on your traps.

LOL!!!

There are many youtube videos showing proper form for any exercise you might want to try. Bodybuilding.com is another great place for weight training videos.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bump for later review :)
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options

"New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a fabulous book. There is a huge forum on MFP dedicated to it with many women to help and encourage. The author is great at explaning the excercises. Youtube is another great place for instruction. Watch multiple videos and see which techniques are being repeated and following the instruction in the book. Then you know that is the correct way to do it.
    Also, if you decided to really start lifiting...get rid of your scale and get a tape measure.
    :)
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    First let me say that there is nothing more beautiful than a heavy lifting woman! What those guys are laughing about is the woman who is doing a 6 inch range of motion with 5 lbs 30 times. It's ridiculous really!

You've gotten some great advice so I'll add some and second some. NROLFW, I've heard great things about and have friends that swear by it.
    I use Stronglifts 5X5. I've also heard great things about Starting Strength. The Stronglifts website is a little offputting to some. The guy is never short on words and has trouble getting to the point. That said the iPhone app is awesome. You keep track of your weight, your sets and you total workouts and it gives you the weight for each exercise each time. If you fail to complete sets, It keeps the weight the same next workout or deloads 10%. Awesome program!!

With both Starting Strength and Stronglifts there are lots of videos on form. I've found them very helpful to get the form correct early on as I was inexperienced with lifting! Best wishes!! Before long, you'll be looking and feeling great!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It is pretty much the gold standard for the major lifts. In my experience, gym staff often don't understand proper form (especially for squat), so if you are going to go that route, find a real personal trainer who works a lot with barbell stuff (with the current crossfit craze it shouldn't be very difficult).

If it helps, here's a basic routine you can use. The volume is limited so it works well when losing weight (calorie restriction limits recovery, so a 'cutting' workout should involve a lot less volume than a bulking or maintenance workout).

Do 3 warm-up sets, one with just the bar (5-6 reps), one at 50% of your working weight (5-6 reps), one at 80% of your working weight (2-3 reps).
    Wait 3 minutes.
    Do one set at the heaviest weight you can with good form (target 6-8 reps).
    Wait ~2 minutes.
    Reduce weight by around 15-20%, do another set (target 8-10 reps).
    Wait ~2 minutes.
    Reduce weight by another 15-20%, do a final set (10-12 reps).

Repeat with second exercise.

It may take you a couple of weeks to figure out how much weight you need to do. That's normal.
    If you are doing the right amounts of weight you will be REALLY sore for the first few weeks. That's normal, and it gets better with time.
    Make sure you are getting at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. This is an absolute must when weight training!

Monday:
    Push-up (if you can do more than 12 already, add weight with a vest, or do Press instead)
    Deadlift

Wednesday:
    Dip
    Chin-up

Friday:
    Bench Press
    Squat

For dips and chins, your gym should have an assisted chin/dip machine, which you can use until you can do body weight. After that, you probably want to get a nice weight vest to continue to add resistance (weightvest.com has some good ones, although they are a little pricey).

Hope this is helpful!