any success stories on/from...LAZINESS?

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
One of the HUGE reasons for my being fat was/is...laziness! Many of us like to use justification and "crutches" (no matter how legit they may be), as an excuse for "petting, nursing and allowing" a lazy slothful attitude/spirit to rule and reign in us and thus is a main contributing factor for us being FAT (well..again, that's MY main reason anyhoo).

I saw some of these quotes today on laziness, because I'm feeling VERY lazy today, I wanted to post these and ask:

Any success stories on/from your being LAZY? Your replies will help a GREAT many MFPer's...especially me:sad:

Here's some quotes:

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired. ~Jules Renard

I like the word "indolence." It makes my laziness seem classy. ~Bern Williams

All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness. ~Mark Kennedy

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance? ~Ronald Reagan

I slip from workaholic to bum real easy. ~Matthew Broderick

Minds, like bodies, will often fall into a pimpled, ill-conditioned state from mere excess of comfort. ~Charles ****ens

Replies

• awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    Lady, you can do it! There's a part of you that doesn't WANT to do it, and it's screaming louder than the rest of you that wants to do it but is tired today. We've said this before, "You won't regret getting up and working out, but you will regret NOT getting up and exercising." That's been true for me every day. I've always regretted an avoided workout and been thankful after any achieved workout, even if I really didn't want to do it in the first place. Even if you're not pushing goals and killing it, move that body and give that tired part of you something to be proud of, and don't feed that loud lazy voice! You can do it!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Thank you my friend:heart:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    bumping for myself and for anyone who is also feeling lazy or just tired today:flowerforyou:
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    I would sit on the couch, then get comfortable, maybe lay down for a bit, then i would hear the couch "creak" as i exhaled, looked down seeing my butt sinking in the couch, my fat handles curling from the sinking...

yep time to work out again...
  • vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am lazy, and that was the main reason I was overweight. I decided to change it and make a committment and now I'm working out everyday just to keep that promise to myself. I never thought I could do it, but after almost 6 months I'm used to it and I do feel soooo much better being fit.
    Good luck!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I would sit on the couch, then get comfortable, maybe lay down for a bit, then i would hear the couch "creak" as i exhaled, looked down seeing my butt sinking in the couch, my fat handles curling from the sinking...

yep time to work out again...

Ya know what? I do so appreciate your post/reply...it's inspirational--thank you!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I am lazy, and that was the main reason I was overweight. I decided to change it and make a committment and now I'm working out everyday just to keep that promise to myself. I never thought I could do it, but after almost 6 months I'm used to it and I do feel soooo much better being fit.
    Good luck!

Wow, it is RARE that people will come out and admit negative things about themselves like you just did-- uhhhh, you ROCK for being honest and your post (as well as another post my friend just made on burning the living mess outta some calories today) have inspired me to get off my lazy "hiney" NOW and do some treadmill and bike and stepper work. Thank you so much for posting here!!!!
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You know, there are a lot of days i want to be lazy and could make excuse after excuse but the only one losing is me. Do you think anyone else is going to place the value that should be placed on you, your life? Sure people care and love me ( like my husband) but at the days end I'm the one who has to answer to that image staring back at me in the mirror and that is raw because i know all of my own secrets, excuses, etc. We just got back from a 1.75 mile walk and in that short distance i saw a junior high school girl out on the field who was very obese not enjoying the fun with the other kids. I passed up a couple who was walking at snails pace drinking a coke and complaining that it was hot and she was turning around, she too was overweight. Then i saw another man, very obese, using his motor scooter to check the mail. Now im not in any position to judge and i dont know these peoples stories but i do know that i want to set a good example for my kids who walk with me. I want them to grow up knowing that exercise isnt out of the norm or the exception but is something that can be fun and rewarding. I dont want them to grow up like i did eating junk and sitting in front of the tv all day long. I dont want to have to rely on a motor scooter to shop, check the mail or move. I want to be able to retire and still LIVE! I owe it to myself to care enough about me to do something for me so yes, i have many days where i feel lazy or am exhausted and dont want to do a darn thing but then i remind myself of things like what i saw today, things i see everyday, all too often and i get up off my butt and get it moving. Go outside and start walking. The good thing about being outside is you can't just quit, youve got to turn around and walk home! You're a rockstar you owe it to yourself to get up and go :)
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I used to use my 3 boys as an excuse as to why I couldn't go downstairs and walk/run on my treadmill or use my eliptical. They were down there just waiting for me to climb on and knock off some of this excess weight, but I would think to myself...."I have to spend every last moment with my kids before they go to bed". Stupid thing was, we watched tv and played on the floor. We have a living room area in our basement where my equipment was. I would be spending time with them talking and watching a movie in the same room......same exact thing I would have been doing, just me sitting on the couch. Yes, I am very tired when I get home from work and then have to make dinner and clean up after everyone, but 20 minutes is not going to kill me!!
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Exactly :)

I used to use my 3 boys as an excuse as to why I couldn't go downstairs and walk/run on my treadmill or use my eliptical. They were down there just waiting for me to climb on and knock off some of this excess weight, but I would think to myself...."I have to spend every last moment with my kids before they go to bed". Stupid thing was, we watched tv and played on the floor. We have a living room area in our basement where my equipment was. I would be spending time with them talking and watching a movie in the same room......same exact thing I would have been doing, just me sitting on the couch. Yes, I am very tired when I get home from work and then have to make dinner and clean up after everyone, but 20 minutes is not going to kill me!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    You know, there are a lot of days i want to be lazy and could make excuse after excuse but the only one losing is me. Do you think anyone else is going to place the value that should be placed on you, your life? Sure people care and love me ( like my husband) but at the days end I'm the one who has to answer to that image staring back at me in the mirror and that is raw because i know all of my own secrets, excuses, etc. We just got back from a 1.75 mile walk and in that short distance i saw a junior high school girl out on the field who was very obese not enjoying the fun with the other kids. I passed up a couple who was walking at snails pace drinking a coke and complaining that it was hot and she was turning around, she too was overweight. Then i saw another man, very obese, using his motor scooter to check the mail. Now im not in any position to judge and i dont know these peoples stories but i do know that i want to set a good example for my kids who walk with me. I want them to grow up knowing that exercise isnt out of the norm or the exception but is something that can be fun and rewarding. I dont want them to grow up like i did eating junk and sitting in front of the tv all day long. I dont want to have to rely on a motor scooter to shop, check the mail or move. I want to be able to retire and still LIVE! I owe it to myself to care enough about me to do something for me so yes, i have many days where i feel lazy or am exhausted and dont want to do a darn thing but then i remind myself of things like what i saw today, things i see everyday, all too often and i get up off my butt and get it moving. Go outside and start walking. The good thing about being outside is you can't just quit, youve got to turn around and walk home! You're a rockstar you owe it to yourself to get up and go :)

:glasses: Hmmmmph!!!! This is a most excellent post--so are all of the others, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING:heart:
  • phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was lazy. My excuse was that I worked all day and didn't have time to exercise. I got in the cycle of going to work coming home, eating and then watching TV until bed. I started on MFP and dropped some weight without exercising and thought I could be the exception and change my body shape without exercise. I soon wised up and started exercising. I hated and dreaded it at first. I thought there's no way I can do this and should just face the fact that I was meant to be fat.

I think this is the thought that turned me around. As much as I hated exercising I decided to push myself to do it. I bought an elliptical for my home so I would have no excuse to not exercise. I started doing the 30DS. I started seeing results with the 30DS after about 6 days. Seeing my body change shape really got me off my *kitten*. I started adding an elliptical workout in addition to the shred.

I'm now on my second round of the shred and am doing 50 minutes on the elliptical. Something changed where I'm actually addicted to doing the work. One thing that this has taught me that although this is hard at first, I can push through it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I was lazy. My excuse was that I worked all day and didn't have time to exercise. I got in the cycle of going to work coming home, eating and then watching TV until bed. I started on MFP and dropped some weight without exercising and thought I could be the exception and change my body shape without exercise. I soon wised up and started exercising. I hated and dreaded it at first. I thought there's no way I can do this and should just face the fact that I was meant to be fat.

I think this is the thought that turned me around. As much as I hated exercising I decided to push myself to do it. I bought an elliptical for my home so I would have no excuse to not exercise. I started doing the 30DS. I started seeing results with the 30DS after about 6 days. Seeing my body change shape really got me off my *kitten*. I started adding an elliptical workout in addition to the shred.

I'm now on my second round of the shred and am doing 50 minutes on the elliptical. Something changed where I'm actually addicted to doing the work. One thing that this has taught me that although this is hard at first, I can push through it.

WOW!!!! What a tremendous post!!! Your reply sent shock waves thru me, especially when you said:

.. ."and thought I could be the exception" :sick: :noway:

Whoa, Woe...WOA!!!! I am so guilty of THIS as well. I am learning/waking up about this profound lesson (seeing that uhhh, I WILL NOT be the exception--period) as I type. Thank you again and again for posting!!!!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My success is from being lazy. Sounds weird but I figured out that in some instances it was good to be lazy. I am too lazy to work extra hard just to walk a mile. I am too lazy to work harder to deal with back pain because my gut stuck out below my t-shirt. I am too lazy and cheap too have to remind myself to take blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds that I would have had to take if I didn't change. I am too lazy to sweat standing still in the summer heat. I am too lazy to be fat. It may sound strange but it is logic that worked for me.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    oh yes, laziness was my best friend! Don't you dare say workout, exercise to me, those were forbidden words that I didn't live by! I was sexy, I was beautiful, I was fat and unhealthy. I looked in the mirror one day and didn't reconize the women I'd become. I stopped caring, stopped doing my nails/pedi, stopped doing my hair, frankly just stopped living. I was going through the motions of life but not living life anymore. I decided to make a change, and let me tell you oh boy... Life has never been so good. Sure my best friend laziness comes back every now and then, I welcome him with open arms. I give him a day of my attention, sometimes a few days but then I'm back at it with my new friend workout and things couldn't be better....
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I used to go to bed at 8:30pm, get up around 6 or 7am and take pain pills that made me sleep until 10 or 11am. Then I'd get up, watch a few soaps on tv, get on the internet and eat off and on all day. Somedays I never even got dressed because my clothes were so uncomfortable. Exercise was walking to the mailbox or letting the dog out the gate to run in the field, while I watched her do it. I was so bad that even when I went camping, I'd take naps during the day!
    I got so fat that I could sit my coffee cup on my stomach while using my laptop!

Now I can hardly sit still except in the morning when I'm on here, having coffee. I've lost over 30lbs, I no longer need the pain pills and I take the dog for 7-8 mile hikes! I feel soooo much better and wish I would have done this years ago.

Now off for my walk... :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My success is from being lazy. Sounds weird but I figured out that in some instances it was good to be lazy. I am too lazy to work extra hard just to walk a mile. I am too lazy to work harder to deal with back pain because my gut stuck out below my t-shirt. I am too lazy and cheap too have to remind myself to take blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds that I would have had to take if I didn't change. I am too lazy to sweat standing still in the summer heat. I am too lazy to be fat. It may sound strange but it is logic that worked for me.

:heart: LOVE THIS :heart:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    oh yes, laziness was my best friend! Don't you dare say workout, exercise to me, those were forbidden words that I didn't live by! I was sexy, I was beautiful, I was fat and unhealthy. I looked in the mirror one day and didn't reconize the women I'd become. I stopped caring, stopped doing my nails/pedi, stopped doing my hair, frankly just stopped living. I was going through the motions of life but not living life anymore. I decided to make a change, and let me tell you oh boy... Life has never been so good. Sure my best friend laziness comes back every now and then, I welcome him with open arms. I give him a day of my attention, sometimes a few days but then I'm back at it with my new friend workout and things couldn't be better....

WOW...you rock, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I used to go to bed at 8:30pm, get up around 6 or 7am and take pain pills that made me sleep until 10 or 11am. Then I'd get up, watch a few soaps on tv, get on the internet and eat off and on all day. Somedays I never even got dressed because my clothes were so uncomfortable. Exercise was walking to the mailbox or letting the dog out the gate to run in the field, while I watched her do it. I was so bad that even when I went camping, I'd take naps during the day!
    I got so fat that I could sit my coffee cup on my stomach while using my laptop!

Now I can hardly sit still except in the morning when I'm on here, having coffee. I've lost over 30lbs, I no longer need the pain pills and I take the dog for 7-8 mile hikes! I feel soooo much better and wish I would have done this years ago.

Now off for my walk... :)

You Go girl--you're my shero!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I only use my gym membership to use their scale once a week, I gave up the 30DS 8 days into it and I rarely exercise, but have lost 12lbs.

Does that count? :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!