Lifting with the boys

Options
So this is more of a lesson in humility-
I am doing the "New Rules of Lifting for Woman" and am just wrapping up Stage 1. The other day, I was at the gym, by myself and was in the midst of my squats. Now, I try to add weight almost everytime. There were two men who where doing clean presses next to me. No problem. So here I am squatting-doing great. I upped my weight 10#. This put me at 135#. I squatted and got 4 reps down. (WOOHOO!) As I tried for rep number 5, my legs said "ALL DONE" and I had to drop. The rack I was using caught the weight. Ok. Still no problem. Wait. Now how was I to get the bar back up to my starting squat postion?! I really didn't want to take the time to take off all of the weights, then re-rack. (I had a baby in the daycare that needed a diaper change and I wanted to get through this!) So, I humbled myself and asked the boys next to me for help to get it back up to the start position.
Stay with me...
One of the guys came over and tried to lift it himself-thinking I was "just a girl"-I assume. He couldn't lift it . He turned bright red and laughed a little and grabbed his buddy. "1-2-3" My bar was back up, I thanked them and we all moved on.

I felt so stupid for having to drop the weight, but then when he tried to lift it himself and couldn't, I felt better about my weight and my performance. I also came to the conclusion that everybody has "those moments" at the gym!

Replies

• mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Love it :heart: :laugh:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So this is more of a lesson in humility-
    I am doing the "New Rules of Lifting for Woman" and am just wrapping up Stage 1. The other day, I was at the gym, by myself and was in the midst of my squats. Now, I try to add weight almost everytime. There were two men who where doing clean presses next to me. No problem. So here I am squatting-doing great. I upped my weight 10#. This put me at 135#. I squatted and got 4 reps down. (WOOHOO!) As I tried for rep number 5, my legs said "ALL DONE" and I had to drop. The rack I was using caught the weight. Ok. Still no problem. Wait. Now how was I to get the bar back up to my starting squat postion?! I really didn't want to take the time to take off all of the weights, then re-rack. (I had a baby in the daycare that needed a diaper change and I wanted to get through this!) So, I humbled myself and asked the boys next to me for help to get it back up to the start position.
    Stay with me...
    One of the guys came over and tried to lift it himself-thinking I was "just a girl"-I assume. He couldn't lift it . He turned bright red and laughed a little and grabbed his buddy. "1-2-3" My bar was back up, I thanked them and we all moved on.

I felt so stupid for having to drop the weight, but then when he tried to lift it himself and couldn't, I felt better about my weight and my performance. I also came to the conclusion that everybody has "those moments" at the gym!

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. I watched a guy about two months ago get stapled to the bench by the bar during some bench presses.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    excellent!
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    To be fair though, I'm not sure I could lift what I can squat. When I squat I have my entire body supporting the weight, and push through my legs (and arguably back).

But still, kudos on being a beast. I love seeing the (albeit rare) girls who weight train.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    that is freaking awesome!
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Congrats! That reminds me I need to buy a heavier Kettlebell. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no need to feel humilited. it happens a lot. that's why power racks have that side bars that you can use to catch your weight if you drop it.

and it's ok to not be able to lift with your arms what you squat. that's why there's a power cage.

maybe next time you go in and he's there you can ask him to give you a spot or help give him a spot.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    no need to feel humilited. it happens a lot. that's why power racks have that side bars that you can use to catch your weight if you drop it.

and it's ok to not be able to lift with your arms what you squat. that's why there's a power cage.

maybe next time you go in and he's there you can ask him to give you a spot or help give him a spot.

Good point. Although a guy spotting a girl on a back squat could be a little... awkward because of the positioning involved where the arms of the spotter should go. :laugh: :blushing:
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    You did good. Always ask for help when you need it. In most cases, they'll be glad to do so.
    Great job on the squats.