Dog owners, I have a predicament..

Options

Replies

• sailorsiren13
    Options
    Crates are great not cruel i have always crate trained my animals but thinking of shaving this animal wow just wow ....poor bf i feel sorry for him if you aren't a dog person i applaud you for trying to make it work and wish you the best of luck.
  • weecazs
    weecazs Posts: 7
    Options
    we taught our dog to stay off the couch by putting boxes and stuff on the couch when out, leave him a bed though so he knows where his area is and you'll see a big difference very soon xxx
  • LinemansWife2003
    Options
    1. DO NOT shave him. Brush him often, that will drastically cut down on the amount of fur he sheds.
    2. Baby gate!!! - Or if he jumps it, it might be time to crate train.
    3. Walks/ Runs are AWESOME for dogs and will very much help build YOUR relationship with him.

Dogs are awesome! They are a great addition to any family and are GREAT for kids! If your son is old enough, have him take a little of the responsibility. ie; feeding/ watering him.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    I am a dog person and when I adopted Mollie she thought she needed on the couches, chairs and in my bed as well. She also sheds like crazy. I give her one fish oil capsule in her food each day and gated her out of the bedroom. Have you tried aluminum foil on your furniture? They do not like the sound and feel of it. She now stays off the furniture and out of any room with carpet unless invited. It sounds like a little training will go a long way. Labs are usually highly intelligent and trainable, eager to please.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    we use a baby gate to keep our dog from going up the steps. She lays on the couch and to stop her from doing that I would turn the cushions up so she couldn't get up on the furniture. The other thing you cold do is get a doggy bed.
  • sarah_529406
    Options
    There is an oil you can get at the pet store to put in his food each morning. It helps with shedding dramatically. Also, there are a lot of different combs you can get to cut down on shedding. Most brushes don't get the under coat. I have a husky mix that I groom almost every other day, and can make a sweater off of the hair I get off of her each time.

I had an issue with my dogs not staying off the furniture in the beginning.

Dogs are like kids, consistency is key. Eventually he will learn that the couch is not for him.

Walks help dramatically. With labs, you will either get the most well behaved dog in the world, or a crazy hyper active pain in the *kitten*. I have the pain in the *kitten* God love her.

But just like humans exorcise is very important to dogs.

Crate training isn't cruel. Any trainer will tell you that. When you crate train it becomes their little house. Never use it for punishment though. If you really feel ill about leaving him in a crate though, baby gates work good too. My youngest dog has separation issues big time. He's an angel when I am home, but when I leave he freaks out, so I put a baby gate up so he can only have access to the kitchen.

I have 3 dogs.

I agree with this ^ ... And I have a German Shepherd, Border Collie mix with long wavy hair lol... using an undercoat brush does wonders.
  • boogiewoman1
    Options
    Yes, a gate works great! lol. My dog loves her "box", some dogs cherish their own "caves". Hers is a wire crate. Yes, the dog should be walked at least 45 mins a day. You can also use your treadmill, that will be a great workout for the dog. Also, watch Ceasar Millan, the dog whisperer for other tips. Also, the dog should be brushed frequently with a SLICKER brush. (I am a groomer). Good luck. :)
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    I know I'll catch some flak about my point of view but I say there are compromises that need to be made in relationships. Why do YOU have to make the compromise? If the dog sheds and jumps on your furniture or you think you may not "gel" with it, I say let someone with a large lot adopt the dog. Your bf can be the one to make the compromise. It's a big dog, he would probably be happier with more room to run anyway.

Ok.....Go! :-)

I hope you are not a pet owner. There's nothing worse than someone who thinks living creatures are disposable.

How'd you get "disposable" out of me thinking it might be better for the dog to have more room to run?! Are you serious or just trying to be funny in some twisted way?

I've had Dogs all of my life, good ones that are well taken care of and loved. There is nothing worse than someone that makes gross assumptions. Dogs are not disposable, but they certainly don't trump a relationship with someone you love. If they love each other, they'll do what's in the best interests of the unit as a whole, whether that be spend time training the dog, or find the dog a loving home.

Dogs and religion, you can't breath those topics without someone thinking your point of view is wrong. lol! Sad and funny at the same time. She asked for opinions didn't she?
  • brentrhodes
    Options
    In regards to the shedding, our Lab spends a lot of time inside and sheds pretty bad. I bought a shampoo that has helped A LOT! I can't think of the name right off hand but it really did help. He still sheds obviously but it has gotten better.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know I'll catch some flak about my point of view but I say there are compromises that need to be made in relationships. Why do YOU have to make the compromise? If the dog sheds and jumps on your furniture or you think you may not "gel" with it, I say let someone with a large lot adopt the dog. Your bf can be the one to make the compromise. It's a big dog, he would probably be happier with more room to run anyway.

I hope you are not a pet owner. There's nothing worse than someone who thinks living creatures are disposable.

How'd you get "disposable" out of me thinking it might be better for the dog to have more room to run?! Are you serious or just trying to be funny in some twisted way?

I've had Dogs all of my life, good ones that are well taken care of and loved. There is nothing worse than someone that makes gross assumptions. Dogs are not disposable, but they certainly don't trump a relationship with someone you love. If they love each other, they'll do what's in the best interests of the unit as a whole, whether that be spend time training the dog, or find the dog a loving home.

Dogs and religion, you can't breath those topics without someone thinking your point of view is wrong. lol! Sad and funny at the same time. She asked for opinions didn't she?

Are you really trying to twist what you said to simply mean you are looking out for the dog's best interest?

Disgusting.

And clearly your dogs are just lucky you didn't find a woman you preferred to them.
  • brentrhodes
    Options
    You're right. You know exactly where I was coming from. You have a very special gift of discernment.

Clearly, my rescue dogs are grateful for me adopting them through the years. Don't speak to something you know nothing about. You don't know me or my motives. If you have inner demons to exercise, attack some sucker that will just "be cool" with it, or don't read my opinions in a thread about opinions! lol!

Like I said earlier, sad and funny, but it's really looking more sad. When you start making personal attacks on someone's character, you're crossing boundaries and need to think before you speak.

To the OP, I hope you guys can reach an agreeable plan for you all! I'm moving along! :-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You were expecting 'flak'. And when you got it, your response is to be really quite defensive and attacking?

Interesting debating style.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Really? So you'd be perfectly ok giving up a dog that you've had for say seven years -- dog that you love and adore, who has been there for you, who you've spent money on and who is loyal to you and loves you as well -- because you met a woman and because she didn't like the shedding or the fact that he jumped on her furniture? You'd say "Sorry Fido but my girl friend says buh-bye!"

I understand giving a dog that you can't handle because you didn't do your home work and realize that it would need more room to run or more attention than you thought to a shelter because it truly would be in the best interest of the dog but to just toss away a loving buddy because you're "compromising" for someone who you don't even know if it's going to be a long lasting relationship? And then what happens when it ends? You're left without a girlfriend AND your dog.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend shaving him...his breeds indicate that he needs his fur to keep him cool in the summer. Shaving certain breeds can end up actually making them hotter.

Dittoing this!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Uhh put him in the yard... If you have a medium to large size dog... It is cruel to keep them locked up in house...
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    ours was kennel trained, so she's more comfortable in her kennel while we're not there. but the baby gate thing is what we use when we watch other peoples dogs and it works too.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Thanks!

I took him on a 30 minute walk last night and I was practically jogging. He definitely walked me!

That breed mix can definately hang probably longer than you! lol Hopefully his assisting you in losing weight will turn your heart to mush for him :-)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the posts but if you have a back yard that is fenced that is not back as long as there is plenty of water and a place for him to take shelter. Other then that the baby gate option would not be bad at all either.

With the furniture issue that can be a lil while before that is cured. If he is already use to being on the furniture then it will take some time to untrain him that you do not want him up there. Maybe a few training classes at the local Petsmart or something helps a lot.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    we bring our dog to the dog park and WOOO does he get worn out... and long walks as well, he is only 3 1/3 months mind you LOL

the baby gate works great... mind you he is not allowed on the couch and he knows it! LOL

I'd say try a good long walk/run, play time, dog park? get him well worn out... and when you are not home try giving him something to do like a puzzle ball with some treats in it for him to figure out, KONG? stuffed with peanut butter and treats? something to distract him and keep his mind busy

just some ideas
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to dogs but am a dog lover and owner of dogs. To combat the allergies we shave the dogs 4 times a year. You will still have some shedding as it grows back in but not nearly as bad. That is my suggestion on how to deal with the shedding.