HRM Chest Strap or No Chest Strap?

Options
After researching I thought for sure I wanted a chest strap monitor. Amazon has decent prices on Timex which I assume is a trusted brand. I thought I found a decent one for about $40, I went through the good reviews and was ready to order but saw there were over 100 1 star reviews (290 5 star ones). When I started reading the one star ones they all said the chest strap was not communicating with the watch rendering the watch useless for anything other than showing you what time it is. I really want one that counts calories and also lets me know when my heart might be in danger or when I can push harder (I have a heart condition). Any suggestions or words of wisdom on this topic? TIA.

Replies

• Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I've never had any problem of communication between the watch and the chest strap except when :

1- Went to the pool. Supposed to work in water but it doesn't in my case.
    2- I had winter coat and stuff because it was frigging cold outside.

I love my HRM and I think it's a good way to motivate yourself. I'm really happy about the quality and I don't often see bad comments about Polar products.

For Timex, I don't know, but like you said, I think it can be a trusted brand.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    i have the Polar Ft4 and love it!!!! No problems at all with the chest strap.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 comes with chest strap. LOVE IT! Very easy to use, just put in your stats, put on the strap, snap on the little device thing to the strap and you're good to go. I have not used mine in water **as in a swimming pool and wouldn't. Also remember to WET the chest strap before putting it on. It has 2 little spots that you wet.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Timex are known for being quite inaccurate. Go with a Polar. The FT4 seems to be the cheapest ~$60. I have it and it works great!
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    YES. Polar FT7
    Using it for years. Reliable. You do have to moisten the pads on the chest strap prior to putting on the chest strap.
    Round $80/$85 at Target here.
    Keep in mind the replacement battery for the watch is hard to find....I found replacement batteries at at Sears watch repair.
    You set your stats.(weight/age/etc) and it will keep track and keep a database of exercises; perfect for your intended use.
    great product but battery life is around 9 months for me.
  • iceicebaby1012
    Options
    ITA with everybody above, Polar is the best.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 with the chest strap and works great! I checked out reviews on Amazon for the Polar (and talked with a friend who had one) and felt that the price was worth the quality.
  • VividSugar
    Options
    I have a Polar too and love it! Had it for over a year, use it 4-6 times a week and havent had to change the battery. If it gives me any problems, its usually the strap needing some moisture. Happy shopping!! :-)
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, mine even works in the pool in water aerobics classes (just have to make sure the strap is pretty tight). I have always had reliable readings outside of the water, except when I ran a 10k I forgot to tighten the strap after getting smaller. I love it and you forget it is there after a few minutes.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am so glad I asked. Looks like I will go with the Polar!