Diet harder than exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    If you are running 3 miles a day, a LITTLE ice cream is really not a bad thing. Just do it in moderation.

So true. But my problem is I pull out the entire container intending to only have a spoonful or two and end up standing there at the counter eating for 10 minutes. Whoops!

then buy the small one serving size or get the skinny cow or weightwatcher ice cream sandwiches or bars. you just have to switch out some products for better choices :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    im going to tell ya what i have done

in November i stopped eating so much fast food (kinda had to, my transmission went out on my car)
    (lost about 6 pounds between November - March )

March 2nd i joined MFP and told myself i would track my food everyday -- most days i was still eating the same amount of calories as if i was eating fast food (mostly snacking all day instead of eating meals -- i didn't really workout yet either .. just logged in every day (because i never stuck to logging, so that was goal 1)

April 1st - i knew it was time to get to working out and trying to be more carefull of calories.. its becoming easier, as i am now eating meals and not so much snacks .. i am starting to add in more veggies, drink LESS sodas and more water.. this is a work in progress

i am down 13 pounds with simple changes .. can't wait till i am 99% on track ..then the weight should come off even better

**** to wrap this up ... take baby steps
    just make a point to come on every day for 1 month and track your food (it will become a habit , i promise)
    slowly make changes to your eating .. there is alot of great ideas here, just make easy changes, no cheese, no mayo (or light) , add more veggies to sandwhiches , baked chips instead regular .. diet soda or water (even flavored) instead of regular soda etc.

^^ sorry so long^^
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Get some Skinny Cow ice cream treats. I eat the ice cream sandwiches, usually one every day. Also some of the weight watchers ice cream items. I just make sure it fits within my calorie alotment.
  • EbAbYgONhArD2013
    Options
    The diet and exercise is the easy part. It's the will power that matters! Just keep your eye in the prize =)

TOTALLY AGREE :smile:
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I agree, the diet part is much harder than the exercise part. I just try to keep as many temptations out of my house as possible.
  • Lilith47
    Lilith47 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite - modifying my diet has been easy, but exercising is an issue. Here are some food suggestions:
    1. Don't allow yourself to go to bed until you've finished logging for the day - even if you're way over. We all are sometimes. I found it really helpful the first few weeks to just figure out how I ate - the number of calories when, etc... I learned that, like you, I need more calories at night.
    2. Start with simple things. Leave the cheese off your sandwich/burger. Try eating rolls without butter. Instead of putting dressing on your salad, put something on that's flavorful like feta or dried cranberries and see if you really need the dressing. Remember that 2tbls feta has a lot more nutrition than 2 tbls salad dressing, generally.
    3. Portion control is huge. Measure everything you can, whenever you can. And, use smaller plates. Take one portion of whatever is available for the meal and then eat everything on your plate. If you're still hungry, eat more. But, make sure you're really hungry.
    4. If you want ice cream, have it. BUT, one portion, only. Which is generally about 1/2 cup. And, try to plan your calories so that you have them available. This isn't about denial - it's about modifying what we eat in a way that we can live with in order to become as healthy as we can be.
    5. It's been proven that thirst can mimic hunger. Drink lots of water, then drink more.
    6. Think about everything you put into your mouth. The two questions are, is this healthy for me and do I really want it. Again, not about denial here. If you want to eat something that isn't healthy - although almost any real food in moderation - just own it and have it. But think about it so you don't end up blindsiding yourself.

These are great tips! May I copy them for my blog? Of course with credit to you, and I can link to your profile (or blog if you have one!)
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just frustrated. Adding exercise into my daily routine has been quite easy for me to do, surprisingly. But it's the darn eating part that keeps me from reaching my goals.

I have no problem making sure to run 3 miles a day, but then I can't turn down the ice cream after dinner :(

I get lazy and quit logging my food and then I'm surprised when the scale doesn't move. I need to just buckle down and get it done. Lord knows I'll feel better about having done it when swimsuit season rolls around!

I know what you mean!

I started exercising when I quit smoking so that I would appreciate how hard my lungs were working and not be tempted to smoke. To my surprise, I began to gain weight! It's normal to gain weight when quitting smoking but I thought exercising every day would alleviate that. Not the case. If anything, it just made me hungrier.

I think there may be a period of adjustment where your appetite will spike in response to the sudden increase of activity.

Don't be afraid to eat some of your exercise calories back.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In follow up, it's less about counting calories and more about WHAT you eat. Your body gets hungry because it needs nutrients. If you feed it the right nutrients, you stop being hungry. I wrote a blog inspired by this post. Do these things and you'll be in it to win it

Wellfitlife.wordpress.com
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had for a sweet snack the new Fiber One Bars Oats and Chocolate they where yummy and only 140 calories bar (and only 1 point on weight watchers)

That is not possible.
  • LReReed
    LReReed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too!! I can do cardio 5 times a week, but it's so hard to change my bad eating habits. I feel that I have to reward myself for sticking with my exercise regimen!! LOL...But what I try to do is be careful of what I buy from the grocery store. If all I have to eat is fruit, veggies, and lean meat, then I have no choice but to cook what's in stock. Now, the problem with that is that my boyfriend is trying to GAIN weight, so he has all kind sof sweets in the pantry......Guess I have to get a new boyfriend to fix that problem :(
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    One piece of advice someone gave me was to change your nighttime routine. Change the room you sit in to relax at night, go to bed early with a good book., take a walk.

Anything that will change a habit that links you to food after dinner.