Nike Fuel Band

Options
elfo
elfo Posts: 353 Member
Does anyone have this? I want one REALLY bad, but it's still so new and am worried there might be glitches with the technology and syncing. These are my questions..

1) how accurate is it?
2) can you track individual workouts- or is it just a running log for the day?
3) how well does it sync?
4) it's NEW - so have all the glitches been worked out?
5) IS IT WORTH THE PRICE???? (~$150)

Replies

• thinkspace
    Options
    I was kind of feeling the same as you.

1) how accurate is it?
    I think it seems to tracking running distances pretty accurately. I've been running with it for the last few days and it's been accurate with the distance.

2) can you track individual workouts- or is it just a running log for the day?
    It does not track individual workouts. It's a rolling log for the entire day. You certainly can see spikes in level of activity which corresponds to time of day. The nice thing about it is that you don't have to tell it you're exercising or when you are sleeping. I found that to be kind of annoying with the Jawbone UP.

3) how well does it sync?
    The syncing part is awesome. It uses Bluetooth and doesn't have to be connected to anything to sync. It synchs fast too. You also don't have to sync it to see what the results are you. You can look at the band itself to know how close you are to your goals.

4) it's NEW - so have all the glitches been worked out?
    5) IS IT WORTH THE PRICE???? (~$150)
    I'm feeling ok with the price point of $150.

I did write up a review on my blog comparing the Jawbone UP and Nike FuelBand. It would be good to read what people think about it compared to the Fitbit.

http://thinkspace.com/mobile-healths-best-nike-fuel-band-sleep-cycle-and-jawbone-up/
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just got mine in. The first one they set me was defective, the second one was the wrong size, third one finally correct.

The first night I wore it on my elliptical, I was doing an endurance cycle, so higher resistance, so you don't move that quickly, based on my movements it said I burned 108 calories = 360 fuel.

Yesterday I wore it all day, set my goal for fuel at 1000, just because I knew I wasn't going to be very active, I surpassed my goal, not surprising I walked around a lot yesterday.

Today I set it for 2500, I'm going to be doing power yoga and my elliptical.

Nike does say that it is not for sitting on a bike, your wrist has to be involved in the movement somehow. If it's not moving you are not gaining any fuel. I did try just shaking my wrist at my desk with it on and the fuel didn't go up, so it's accurate with movement as far as I can tell.

Basically what it does is track your movements for the whole day. So your normal activities are counted in on the calories burned. Which are already calculated into your BMR, so if you are using for weight loss and you eat your exercise calories back, you probably don't want to eat what the band says, unless you are just wearing it while working out.

The band plugs right into the USB port of your computer or connects via blue tooth on an iphone, I don't have the iphone (hoping they release this on the android market), so I just use my PC. The data uploads to Nike+ and it shows you your activity for the day, how many calories you burned, how many miles you walked, how long you were active for. You can see the spike in activity when you are actually being active.

I'm still feeling it out, and I definitely haven't used it to it's potention. The reason for me getting it is that I am almost at my goal weight and I need something to help keep me motivated once I achieve that. So this is a good gadget for me. It will help me meet a goal everyday.
  • schlagers
    schlagers Posts: 58
    Options
    This sounds promising. I think I am going to check it out. I've been wanting a way to calculate how many calories I've burned during a workout without having to do all the math involved. It seems like if I just look at the spikes in activity during the time I worked out I should be able to figure out my calories burned....is that right?
  • jesscaponigro
    Options
    The graph doesn't really show how many calories are burned in the spike. The best way to determine that would be to look at the calories burned on your fuel band prior to working out and then at the end of your workout, if you subtract them you can get the difference and that would be your calories burned. I'm still not sure how accurate calories are, I'm still testing it out.
  • beccagable
    Options
    I've had mine for over a week now and I love it. The goal I set gives me a challenge and I love it. It's really simple too - I've set mine to 3000 which is for a moderately active person. I've met it everyday so far so I'm probably going to up it soon.

You can wear it in the shower and "dance in the rain" as the website says but no pool, which is a bummer because who doesn't love to swim as a workout?

Also, right now that app is having issues and some people, myself included, can't wirelessly sync. I'm sure they'll fix it soon but until then you just have to plug into your computer.

I find it very accurate, or at least, consistent. I usually take down my cals burned before and after I work out then just do the math. The numbers when I am on the treadmill are usually very similar.

I don't recommend sleeping in it though. Personally, I don't like it because it counts movements and such in your sleep as points and I don't think that's a fair challenge. That's just me though. Sometimes I wake up and it says I've burned 100 calories and I feel like that's silly.

Overall, I love it. I think the price is fair for what it can do. I also think it's great if your into workout videos or maybe just playing sports - things that you don't really know how many calories you burn doing. As for accuracy - it supposedly works with oxygen so it's pretty fancy in that way. I love the challenge and love knowing how many calories I burn.

You can eat back your calories if you do monitor how many you lost doing an activity, otherwise you're going to eat 1000 extra calories a day.

P.S. One cool aspect of it, for me, was seeing how much I walk when I go to a theme park, which is awesome. I blew my numbers off the charts last week at Disney World.
  • beccagable
    Options
    I'd like to correct myself in my earlier post - as of an hour ago, Nike sent out an update and the app is fully woring again. See? Very efficient. It's a good investment, in my opinion.
  • schlagers
    Options
    Is it still only available for iPhone/iPad? I have a Droid and probably won't get it unless I can sync it with my Droid. Also, have you heard when they are going to be releasing more? Currently they are sold out and I haven't found anything on the site saying when they will have more available :(
  • llamusta
    llamusta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if mine just has a minor glitch, but the distance on mine is not accurate. Anyone else having this issue?
    How accurate do you guys think the calorie count is?
  • jesscaponigro
    Options
    Is it still only available for iPhone/iPad? I have a Droid and probably won't get it unless I can sync it with my Droid. Also, have you heard when they are going to be releasing more? Currently they are sold out and I haven't found anything on the site saying when they will have more available :(

Right now it's only available on the iphone/ipad. You can sync it to a PC, which is what I do. I also have an android phone. Hoping they make an app for that.
  • jessica_johnson2011
    jessica_johnson2011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can also sync it to your iPod Touch.

I really like mine. Like someone else said, I usually write down my calories prior to a work out and then afterwards, I subtract the difference. It's been pretty consistent and also pretty close to what I see on the treadclimber or when I use my HRM.

I like it. I have my goal set at 5K and I've made it every day but one and I was close that day. I find myself running in place or something at night if I haven't made the goal, so it is motivating me for sure! ;P
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm debating between the fuel band & the jawbone UP. Anyone have any perspective on the two?
  • jesscaponigro
    Options
    I'm debating between the fuel band & the jawbone UP. Anyone have any perspective on the two?

I heard awful things on Jawbone Up, it really got horrible reviews. The Fuel Band seems to be working better than that.
  • schlagers
    Options

I heard awful things on Jawbone Up, it really got horrible reviews. The Fuel Band seems to be working better than that.

I heard bad things about the Jawbone Up as well. An article I read said that back in December the company agreed to fully refund anyone's Up that wasn't working and made a public apology about it.
  • schlagers
    Options
    I got an email the other day that Nike will be putting out more Fuel Bands the week of April 8th! Finally.
  • CoffeeCakeCardio
    Options
    I've had mine since February and I love it!! It pushes me to move more!! Only downside... I take spin and since it's on my wrist it really don't log the fuel from my hour long spin class. Oh well, that's just my added exercise for the day :)

From my blog--- http://www.coffeecakeandcardio.com/2012/02/23/my-nike-fuelband/

Ashley
  • Aceco30
    Aceco30 Posts: 29
    Options
    I just got one and so far think I will like it, but my screen only displays the fuel and the time...shouldnt it show me cals and steps?
    or do i just see that on the nike+ app??

thanks!!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just got one and so far think I will like it, but my screen only displays the fuel and the time...shouldnt it show me cals and steps?
    or do i just see that on the nike+ app??

thanks!!

I can show all. But you can change what it shows in your fuel app. I don't remember the exact screen but it is an option to change what appears. Fuel and time are mandatory but the others you can "uncheck" in your settings and then they won't appear on your band. If you can't find the screen let me know and I'll look for it and let you know.

I am having issues knowing what (if anything) I can be doing to utilize my calories. Obviously I know to use them for an individual workout, but I thought with the running total I would be able to utilize this as my TDEE. But the numbers I'm getting are way to low to be my TDEE. Thoughts?
  • DrPsyduck
    Options
    Agreed, this is what makes no sense to me. I have previous experience with BodyBugg and Fitbit, both of which take a running tally of calories burned all day. The Fuelband must not. After a long day of work, it is now 11PM and I show 654 calories. I know from the previous devices that the actual number is in the range of 2200. My best guess is that the calories number is for activity, that is calories burned BEYOND the basal calories that your body needs just to live. Now, I had this tested at Lifetime Fitness and was told that my number was approx 1400/day. So 1400 PLUS what shows on the band (654) gets me to the running total I mentioned. But to report the number separately doesn't make sense. Those who count calories (I try not too) will want to compare them with their total daily burn number. This seems like a major flaw to me.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Agreed, this is what makes no sense to me. I have previous experience with BodyBugg and Fitbit, both of which take a running tally of calories burned all day. The Fuelband must not. After a long day of work, it is now 11PM and I show 654 calories. I know from the previous devices that the actual number is in the range of 2200. My best guess is that the calories number is for activity, that is calories burned BEYOND the basal calories that your body needs just to live. Now, I had this tested at Lifetime Fitness and was told that my number was approx 1400/day. So 1400 PLUS what shows on the band (654) gets me to the running total I mentioned. But to report the number separately doesn't make sense. Those who count calories (I try not too) will want to compare them with their total daily burn number. This seems like a major flaw to me.

I completely agree with you. I am considering sending it back due completely to this. When I purchased it I assumed that is what i would be getting from the calorie setting. But apparently I was incorrect. I am averaging 1200 to 1800 at the end of the day for my calories (depending on exercise) but I would really like to know on those days my total expended. As much as I like the other features of the Fuelband, since I count calories this is important to me.

Thanks for your reply, it was definitely helpful.
  • Aceco30
    Aceco30 Posts: 29
    Options
    Everytime I try to sync my fuelband with my computer it takes FOREVER and then after about 20 minutes comes up and says it can't connect my fuelband and to unplug and try again. I have been getting the same read for 3 days.
    I tried to call Nike+ but was on hold for 2 hours and gave up.

So frustrated!