How much does food cost where you are?

Options
2»

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Bananas were on sale for about .39 cents a pound last week

aslo got a 5 lb bag of grapefruit for $3! I wish mushrooms were cheaper D: I can eat a whole package in one sitting :3
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Who can afford to eat with gas prices what they are now? :sad:

That is about 3.67 here! I have been taking the bus :3 lol

Is that per gallon? I just worked mine out in dollars and ours is three times as much :/

Yup per gallon! Just saw your post, that is insane! Im not complaining about gas prices here anymore xD

Holy moly! I actually was considering moving to the US (I work online and get paid in dollars anyway) and I feel like I could live like a *king*! And I looked for normal jobs and they don't even pay much less than the ones here in the UK so you must all have SO MUCH SPARE CASH (comparably)!!! Although free healthcare is a bonus :) and if you ever feel bad about how much everything costs, check out how much it costs in Sweden/Norway - like £8 ($12.84) for one pint of beer...
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I live in southern Louisiana. At WalMart a gallon of milk is right around $3.98, 18 eggs are $1.98, and a bag of gala apples are between $3.49 and $3.99. I can get the little steamer bags of frozen veggies for $1-2, depending on sales. Strawberries have just started coming down to about $1.99. They'll get even cheaper through the summer, but then go back to $3-4 in the fall. Our "farmer's market" (which is only about 1/2-2/3 local produce, depending on the season) is close to WM in prices, maybe a little less, but the quality is better.

Gas is hovering around $3.80, on average. Boo.
  • jazz0matic
    Options
    stores are the worst. food is so expensive and always poor quality :P blech!
    I get a farm basket through CSA (community supported agriculture) a box costs me about $35. We make ours last just shy of 2 weeks for the 2 of us, though we do buy dry goods like rice, polenta, oats, and beans (about $15 week). my food is farm fresh organic blah blah and picked the same day of delivery. today we got :

12 eggs
    1lb whole wheat bolero flour
    1 bunch small turnips
    1 bunch easter egg radishes
    8oz raisins
    5 oranges
    3 oz dill
    1 HUGE fennel
    1 bunch green garlic
    1 lb stir fry greens (mixed greens like mustard, kale, and collards etc)
    6 oranges
    2 lbs lettuce
    2 lbs spinach

we usually also hit the farmers market friday mornings with about $30 and buy : 1lb potatoes, 4 pints strawberries (seasonal), 2 lbs stone fruit (seasonal), 1 lb sausage, 1 lb assorted mushrooms, 1/2 lb almonds, 2 bunches broccoli, tomatoes (seasonal)

total monthly cost: $220 then maybe another $50-$70 for fun stuff like beer wine and dairy

**edit: i live in california, san francisco area**
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure we have some of the highest prices in Canada, aside from Nunavut, the Yukon and the Northwest territories. I know for sure we have one of the highest taxes, 15%.

4 L of milk - $6.00-$7.00
    5 lb of potatoes - $4.00
    Haddock fillets - $5.00-$6.00 a pound (even though we're literally surrounded by water full of fish)
  • xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's £6.62 a gallon for petrol where I live ($10.62)

I thought $4.19 was bad.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Central Nebraska...we have cheap corn...other than that we are subject to 5.5% state tax plus 1.5% local tax. Then the cost of freighting food here gets added in. It gets a little pricey when the average wage here is about $9 / hr.
    Thank god I hunt and butcher about 75% of all my meat. Venison does get old after a while. I have a friend who raises hogs, so I pay about 25 cents a pound for them, if I butcher it myself. A loaf of wheat bread is $2.25, and a gallon of 2% milk is around 3.85 at the local Wal-mart ( 25 miles away is local to me )
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    More than what I like to pay and the prices keep going up!!!! :grumble:
  • jazz0matic
    Options

hahaha! I love this, make the gas higher so people stop driving :D! bicycle revolution!!! biking to work is the best!
    ** I'm not actually a jerk and I don't really mean it, I know you can't really bike around with kids and stuff, but I haven't had a car in 3 years and my life is awesome.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options

hahaha! I love this, make the gas higher so people stop driving :D! bicycle revolution!!! biking to work is the best!
    ** I'm not actually a jerk and I don't really mean it, I know you can't really bike around with kids and stuff, but I haven't had a car in 3 years and my life is awesome.

Depends on where you live, I drive 50 miles round trip everyday to work, no public transport, and a P.O.S. Prius doesn't do so well in Nebraska winters.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

yep, asked hubby to make me some sort of rig i can pull a little red wagon behind my bike with, so i can bike to the like 5 stores we have in town during the spring/summer/fall. obviously i cant bike thru 4' of snow, so winter is all car time.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    What foods are cheap where you live right now? :]
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's £6.62 a gallon for petrol where I live ($10.62)

I thought $4.19 was bad.

To be fair, we don't have to drive quite as far ^_^
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Is that per gallon? I just worked mine out in dollars and ours is three times as much :/

Yup per gallon! Just saw your post, that is insane! Im not complaining about gas prices here anymore xD

Holy moly! I actually was considering moving to the US (I work online and get paid in dollars anyway) and I feel like I could live like a *king*! And I looked for normal jobs and they don't even pay much less than the ones here in the UK so you must all have SO MUCH SPARE CASH (comparably)!!! Although free healthcare is a bonus :) and if you ever feel bad about how much everything costs, check out how much it costs in Sweden/Norway - like £8 ($12.84) for one pint of beer...

Comparing U.S. and European gas prices is a little silly. Your gas is taxed to hell and in exchange you get "free" social programs such as health care. My gas is not taxed as bad but I get to pay $600 per month for my health insurance with all that spare cash! :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Well now according to the "on sale" flyer that came in todays mail...prices good only if you have "their" card...

Strawberries $2.79 per pound
    boneless chicken breast $2.99 per pound
    russet potatoes $.79 per pound
    Dannon greek yogurt $1.29 per 5.5 oz tub
    baby carrots $1.85 per pound
    broccoli crowns $1.55 per pound
    Honeydew melon $2.93 each
    fresh white mushrooms $1.88 per 1/2 pound
    fat free milk $1.29 per quart

pretty much everything else "on sale" in the flyer is processed foods....boxes, bags, frozen fish, soda, chips, etc.... things that I don't buy. I get all sorts of coupons in the mail and online, just none for the fresh foods! 2 years ago I would go to the store and spend $35.00 for 4-5 bags of fresh food products, this week I paid $83 for basically the same stuff!

Gas here is $3.94 per gal today.
  • darrell62
    darrell62 Posts: 40
    Options
    McDonough Georgia
    boneless skinless chicken breast 1.99 lb
    75/25 grd beef 2.29 lb
    iceberg lettuce -1.09
    cilantro - .79 two bunches
    cereal (generic) .89-1.29 a box
    canned veggies .67 each
    healthy choice steamers - 2.49 ea
    skim milk - 2.99 gal
    18 xtr lrg eggs - 1.29
    wonder bread - 1.29
    12 pack bud light - 8.99
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

I"m in Langley, BC, Canada and I pay 5.47 per gallon (1.44 litre)
    AND i commute to work
    it sucks.