Please help-advice

Options
toshie333
toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
please can someone explain how this works. I'm bit jubious.
So I've been given 1200 cals a day. My bmr is 1330.
So I aim for 1200 net a day. If I exercise 400 cals, I'm meant to eat those 400 cals? Do I have to eat them on same day as I burn them? Do I have to eat them?
My life style is sedentary as am at a desk job but walk 2.5 miles to get to work x back each day-still classes as sedentary just in case. Going to Start gym x exercising. Any help is much appreciated as this way of dieting is all very new to me coming from Ww.
Thank you all x

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you are walking 5 miles daily, you are not sedentary. Your job is not the only reflection of your activity level. If you are following mfp levels, then you have to eat back your exercise calories. If you are callung yourself sedentary and not taking into account that 5 mile walk, then you are also working out on top of that, and you only eat 1200 calories, you will stall out quickly on weightloss. Good luck!
  • WatchBrittGetFit
    Options
    is this site accurate with the part that says " if everyday were like today youd be 130.2 lbs in 5 weeks!"?? because i kind of do eat the same way.. but i dont see me going from 146 to 130 in 5 weeks..
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • golaan
    golaan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes, I think they are accurate about your 5 weeks astimated weight loss..and it counts not only diet, but also exercise..so if you were completely honest and your intake and output remained like today, it should take you to the promised number :)
    :flowerforyou:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You need to eat over your BMR. Calculate your TDEE, and aim to eat 20% below that, but never below your BMR. If you're walking 5 miles 5 days a week, that's not sedentary, so either log it and eat those calories back or change the level you've set on MFP. 1Then try to eat more healthily, nutricious homeprepared food is much more feeling and your energy will improve. Good Luck!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can calculate things out if you want to but MFP really does most of the work for you. It is all included in the big GREEN number that is on the top of your profile and on the bottom of your food diary.

If you have a desk job then you are right (as MFP indicates) to consider your daily activity as sedentary.

If in addition to your sedentary desk job you are walking to work you should log that as exercise. MFP will then automatically adjust your daily calorie goal by the amount you burn during that walk. You will see this because on the bottom of your food log it will say "you have earned XXX calories from exercise" and that big green number will change.

If you do yet more exercies log that as well. Once again MFP will automatically adjust.

If you are wondering where the weight loss comes in -- when you started MFP asked you how many pounds per week you wanted to loose. If you said 1 lb per week (WHICH IS RECOMMENDED) there are 3500 calories in one pound. Divide that by 7 and you need to have a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories to loose one pound per week. MFP has already factored this in to your calorie goals.

Why is 1 lb per week recommended? Because if you told MFP to make you loose weight faster than that it will probably have you eating less that your BMR (look here for an explanation of what that is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator) which is hard to sustain for the long run. I know because I tried it.