Avacado

Options
This is the second time I purchased an avocado. I saw a recipe in Men's Health that used avocado in tuna salad. But I chickened out and did not use it in it. Does anyone have a good easy avocado recipe?

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat avacado is to cut in half, take out the seed, salt and pepper and just eat with a spoon. Another favorite is to have avacado slices on toast with mushrooms and tomatoes, if you have some extra calories, you can add a bit of mayo
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado on toast, with salad roll as l do not use butter l have avocado in place of the butter, on grill chicken. On a veg burger. I use avocado really in lots of things that l eat..
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just cut it up and put it on a salad or a sandwich
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Make some guacamole
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Guacamole
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    avocados are amazing! i make grilled chicken with a little lemon and then put sliced avocado on top :) omnomnom
  • bambiemd
    bambiemd Posts: 14
    Options
    Add it to your any of your salads, is a VERY healthy fat!!
    You can drink it as well. I ripe avocado blended with skim milk. Don't be scare by the pale green color.. It's yummy! You can add a tsp of raw honey if you'd like
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    apply to anything edible and eat away....lol. i love alvacado so i use it on sandwiches -salads-melba toast....even wraps in place of mayo. hope you find something that works for you!
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    smoked salmon and cottage cheese on toast, and avocado on the side!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I love it just sliced up in a salad, it's delicious.
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just eat it! 'cados are soo good!
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    Avocado. Avocado. There are two As and two Os. A/o/a/o.

I'm a huge fan. Being a true and proper Aussie, I love a thick slab of avo on top of my vegemite on toast. It would definitely taste great with tuna. One of my favourite meals is haloumi, avocado and tomato on sourdough with some basil and lemon juice. If I go out for breakfast and it's not included in my (savoury) breakfast meal, I usually get it on the side. If I'm having a fresh sandwich for lunch I'll often add it to the mix. Fresh chicken and avocado sandwiches are delicious. It also shows up in a LOT of takeaway nori roll sushi places (in Australia, at least).

One thing I definitely DON'T endorse with avocado is baking/grilling/toasting it; it gets a really funky (in a bad way) flavour to it. Having said that, it's great to add some fresh avocado to a toasted sandwich or open grill once it's done toasting.

Fresh is best, and make sure it's nice and squishy - solid avocado isn't great.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado daily 4-5 times each week. Cut in half, remove seed, cut into slices, peel, eat, usually on a plate of raw broccoli and cauliflower. Wasn't thrilled with the texture at first, but definitely like it now. I'm ridiculously picky about the ripeness of them though...has to be firm to squeeze, but give just a little bit. Usually, this is when the color is still mostly greenish (and not blackish).
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    avocados are great for making a substitute ranch dressing. Just mash up some avocado and sprinkle in a couple teaspoons of your fav packaged ranch seasoning and voila!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    chop it into cubes, dice tomatoes add feta and cilantro and lime juice. Slap it on just about anything! Burgers of ANY kind, use it on salad, pita chips. Etc...so so so delicious!
    You can eat it by itself as well. We've put it on pizza, portabella mushrooms. Very versatile
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    The first time I tried avocado I put it in a salad. The first time my boyfriend tried it I just cubed the avocado, some lime juice and some salt/pepper. He thought it was a bit bland for his taste so the next time I put some soy sauce with it - he loves it now.

It's good on burgers too.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    OOooOo don't chicken out it is great in tuna salad, I make a tuna salad sandwich and add hummus spread and avocado slices YUM!!
  • considermac
    Options
    There are many avocado salad reciepes that are really good. Here is another one... avocado pudding. Yes, it is good.

Avocado
    a touch of vanilla
    Cream or milk
    touch of sugar

Put it in a blender eat. You can put some chopped pistachios on top.

Good source of fiber and good fats.
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love avacados, like to make toast put them on there with a little garlic powder or cut it in wedges and top hard boiled eggs a little salt and pepper or i chop a whole avacado with a little red onion and bell pepper top black bean burger with the mixture, or take the halves with seed taken out drop a whole raw egg in each half broil for about 5 minutes till eggs are cooked like you like them, make an avacado banana smoothie i know sounds weird but just a half avacado whole banana and a litte protein powder and soy or skim milk, extremly silky smooth almost like ice cream and the banana masks the avacado flavor!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    with salt, pepper, and a couple scoops of cottage cheese...

never use to eat them much until this last winter and I've just gone nuts for them....