Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake

Options

Replies

• YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, looks wonderful!

I don't suppose the recipe came with any nutritional info? That would be most helpful!
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake
    (Makes 6 servings; recipe created by Kalyn.)

Ingredients:
    5 oz. organic fresh spinach (4 cups packed)
    1-2 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
    1 1/2 cups low-fat mozzarella (I used a low-fat mozzarella blend from Costco with 6 grams of fat in 1/4 cup.)
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    8 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any all purpose seasoning mix that's good with eggs)
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray an 8 1/2 inch by 12 inch glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add spinach all at once, and stir just until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer spinach to the casserole dish, spreading it around so all the bottom of the dish is covered. Layer the grated cheese and sliced onions on top of the spinach.

Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (or other seasoning mix) and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. (I use only a tiny pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.) Pour the egg mixture over the spinach/cheese combination, and then use a fork to gently "stir" so the eggs, spinach, and cheese are evenly combined.

Bake about 35 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown. Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting. (The egg bake will settle down some as it cools.) Serve hot. This is good with light sour cream. I also like a little Green Tabasco Sauce sprinkled on the top.

This can be cut into individual servings to keep in the fridge and microwaved for a quick breakfast during the week. Don't microwave longer than 1-2 minutes or the eggs can get slightly rubbery.

Can you please provide the servings and nutrition information????
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've made a similar version, but added ground sausage to the mix and baked them in muffin tins for individaul servings. They're so versatile, you can add different meats and cheeses...whatever you like. They freeze really well, too...I've had some in the freezer for a couple of months now.
  • nmoline
    nmoline Posts: 21
    Options
    This sounds excellent, I love spinach! Will have to get the ingredients on my next trip to the grocery store so that I can make it. I have made similar ones before using onions, peppers, and turkey sausage crumbles
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I might try that for breakfast this weekend.
  • Reni421
    Reni421 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've made a similar version, but added ground sausage to the mix and baked them in muffin tins for individaul servings. They're so versatile, you can add different meats and cheeses...whatever you like. They freeze really well, too...I've had some in the freezer for a couple of months now.

GREAT IDEA
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I've made a similar version, but added ground sausage to the mix and baked them in muffin tins for individual servings. They're so versatile, you can add different meats and cheeses...whatever you like. They freeze really well, too...I've had some in the freezer for a couple of months now.

I have a recipe on here like that too!...LOVE that!...LOL
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I'm going to try it this weekend!
    Thanks!!!
  • bytemeeeeee
    Options
    (Makes 12 muffins)

15 eggs (for silicone muffin pans, use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
    1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning
    1-2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
    Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.
    Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)
    Optional: diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage

Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well. (I used to add a bit of half and half or milk, but lately I like the way they turn out without it.) Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep more than a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated, but I like them best when they're just refrigerated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat.
    I personally use more egg whites and jalapeño to mine...They are REALLY good and can be made MANY different ways...Be creative!

Enjoy!
    Debbie~~smile
  • kjander1
    kjander1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Bump
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for sharing Your Recipe, Love to cook new things.
  • bytemeeeeee
    Options
    DO YOU HAVE THE CALORIE AMOUNTS

Hello...
    I am sorry I do not...It really is VERY low calorie and you can tweak it to what you like...Meaning using more egg whites..Ir all egg whites if you like...fat free cheese..BUT...for me I need what is in the recipe since I work out lots I need the fat and the calories..Turkey sausage I think it's Jimmy Deans for two sausage is 120 calories if you used like six for the whole thing it's really no calories since it makes a lot...It's really mostly veggies... :happy:
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a wonderful alternative to my breakfast!
    Thanks for sharing!
  • bytemeeeeee
    Options
    Just may have to plug this in my Recipes to get the nutrition facts!!
    GREAT idea!
  • bytemeeeeee
    Options
    I don't suppose the recipe came with any nutritional info? That would be most helpful!

Hello...
    I am sorry I do not...It really is VERY low calorie and you can tweak it to what you like...Meaning using more egg whites..or all egg whites if you like...fat free cheese..BUT...for me I need what is in the recipe since I work out lots I need the fat and the calories..Turkey sausage I think it's Jimmy Deans for two sausage is 120 calories if you used like six for the whole thing it's really no calories since it makes a lot...It's really mostly veggies...
    Debbie~~:smile:
  • blueberry67
    Options
    Bump
  • bytemeeeeee
    Options
    This sounds good! Do you have the calorie counts?
    Hello...
    I am sorry I do not...It really is VERY low calorie and you can tweak it to what you like...Meaning using more egg whites..or all egg whites if you like...fat free cheese..BUT...for me I need what is in the recipe since I work out lots I need the fat and the calories..Turkey sausage I think it's Jimmy Deans for two sausage is 120 calories if you used like six for the whole thing it's really no calories since it makes a lot...It's really mostly veggies...
    Debbie~~:smile:
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    bump
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I will definitely try this :)