kale chips, what I learned

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
I love love love kale chips, super healthy! and if you do them right they can have the after taste of Cheese itz. Who doesn't love that. I have made kale chips several times and here is what I have learned.

1. Do not over season them. They shrink so much in the oven that the little bit of salt or garlic salt on them makes them SUPER salty, when the cook and shrink. Use less than you feel you need. Just resist the urge and it will be just right.
2. Nutritional yeast adds lots of nutrients and a great cheesy flavor and it is very forgiving so if you use too much or too little it won't ruin your chips.
3. Watch carefully and don't overcook. you only need the oven around 325 degrees for 20 minutes or a minute or two less. You want them crispy but a burnt taste is yucky. Taste them right before you take them out to make sure they are perfectly crisp.

Other seasonings to try , paprika, garlic salt (lightly), light pepper, curry etc. the options are endless.

Enjoy!

Replies

• MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are amazing! Every time I make them I proceed to eat the entire batch directly from the pan. Next time I'll add nutritional yeast -thanks for the idea!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips! I made them for the first time last weekend. Even the kids and hubby liked them!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Since popcorn salt is so fine it works great. I just give a little light dusting.
  • srdeaver
    srdeaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to try these - when you say "nutritional" yeast, what do you mean? Is this something different from yeast you buy in the grocery store? I have never heard this term. Thanks!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I have been meaning to try these - when you say "nutritional" yeast, what do you mean? Is this something different from yeast you buy in the grocery store? I have never heard this term. Thanks!

hehe it's in a clear container kind of like kraft parmesan comes in and it is very healthy and adds a cheesy flavor to things, looks like yellow flakes. It is especially helpful to vegetarian and vegan diets as it is a good source of B-12 and some protein. I pulled this little snippet of info for you.

"A terrific food, providing nutrition, enhancing flavor, and adding taste to your favorite meals and drinks.
    An excellent source of protein (52%), containing essential amino acids. Gluten Free.
    Rich in vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins. An excellent source of folic acid, which is important for formation, growth, and reproduction of red blood cells.
    Commonly known as T6635+ Vegetarian Support Formula™. This yeast is easy to use and blends well with liquids. It can be used in almost any recipe and in small amounts will enhance the flavor.
    Grown specifically for its nutritional value. Naturally low in fat and salt.
    Suggested Serving Size: 2 heaping Tablespoons."

Hope that helps :)
  • LaurieMaynard
    LaurieMaynard Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried these yet, but have read about them a few times over the last few days. I guess it's a must try!!!

Yeast flakes can generally be bought at your local health food store. I bought some to put on organic popcorn, but I didn't care for it AT ALL. Everyone says it tastes like cheese, but to me it tasted like yeast! Blech! Perhaps I'll give it another go on the kale, but I think I like the flavored popcorn salt better. :happy:
  • mswhite60
    mswhite60 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on nutritional yeast - new to me, too.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Good tips. How much do they shrink? Do they become like half their size?
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    They shrink signifcantly. Half their size or more I'd say.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I REALLY want to try making these. The health food store by me sells them for an outrageous price but I can't get myself to pay it~even if it is just to try them! Soooo I must do it myself~never thought about adding the yeast either. Love the info. :smile:
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I REALLY want to try making these. The health food store by me sells them for an outrageous price but I can't get myself to pay it~even if it is just to try them! Soooo I must do it myself~never thought about adding the yeast either. Love the info. :smile:

Yeah It ticks me off to see how much they try to charge you. They must not sell many. I would never pay 7 dollars for a very small container of them. Hehe I look at their ingredients and then go home and make my own, they are too easy not to. Prep is 5 minutes oven less than 20. You can't beat that with a stick.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    bump
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Never heard of kale chips before. How do you make them?
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm making some this weekend.
  • kyleti
    kyleti Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.andysmarket.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1865

Here's where I get Nutritional Food Yeast. It's even cheaper in the store I think.

Tim
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love Kale Chips....I put crushed red pepper on mine :) They are always eaten right off the pan and usually by my 14 and 10 year olds...they won't eat kale any other way though LOL!
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Snacky bump.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    So, I made kale chips yesterday - they turned out okay, but they had a different texture than I was thinking they would. Basically, they disintegrated in my mouth instead of crunched like more of a chip (like I was expecting).

They had a pretty good flavor on their own - I'm not one for seasoning, so I didn't season them with anything.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I always screw up Kale chips when I make them :(