The hardest day I've encountered so far.

Options
I've been on here for 10 days... I have been loosing weight.... but today I just woke up in a bad mood. Stresses are coming down on me and it's making it hard to keep focused on my goals. Every day before this I've been optimistic and gung-ho about losing weight... but today I'm so close to being like ... **** it. I know it's important to me, and if I do give up... I will hate myself tomorrow. I never realized how stressful situations make me want to eat... EVEN IF I'M NOT HUNGRY. The friend that I started this journey with just doesn't seem to be as into it as I am.... (In her defense... she weighs a good 50-60lbs lighter than me).... Everyone keeps saying the weight I lost is just "water weight"... I just feel like ****. I guess I'm just seeking some sort of understanding... or maybe I just need a place to freak out... either way... over and out...

Replies

• AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    We all have those days! Hang in there, take a deep breath, get out of the house and away from food for a little while. Bad days, slip ups, etc happen and its ok, the important thing is to not let it totally derail you. You've got this!
  • shellykinder
    shellykinder Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!! We all have those days its human remember tomorrow is a new day and most importantly everyday say this to yourself "If you are tired of starting over STOP GIVING UP" it works~ It pulls me through some tough days. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Always stay positive. Tell yourself that you will succeed because you are motivated. Figure out what motivates you and remind yourself of that everyday. Maybe that's what you need. Your goal is to beat your friend. Then she will be sorry that you can fit into a bikini 3 sizes below her. ;] Use this network as a support, if your friend isn't going to help you, you have 200,000+ people in this network to help motivate you. We're all in this together, we're all here for the same reasons.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    I definately have those days too. I try to tell myself that if I can get through today and eat good then I will feel so much better tomorrow. Maybe go for a run.. It seems to help me release stress. I put my headphones on and get lost in my run and my music! Kepp on going you can do it!
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You really need to ask yourself why are you doing this. Are you doing it for other people? or because of your friend? Once you the answer to that question becomes you doing this for yourself than you will always let what others say discourage you. I am not trying to be rude or anything, just speaking from experience because I was there and now that i am 27lbs lighter. I believe in myself and know that i will have bad days and that there will be others who will say things as thats water weight but it encourages me indirectly to keep pluggin away because there will come a day that it will not be water weight and for my 27lbs loss is alittle more than water wieght, lol. I look back after loosing that and still can't believe that it started off at 4lbs and gradually kept going up to loosing more. Just know it takes awhile to get where you want to be but think about how happy you will be once you get there. We all have to start somewhere and if it takes loosing that water weight at first that means you are that much closer to loosing the bad stuff....FAT. Stay focused and make yourself accountable to yourself and no one else. DON'T QUIT, there is this saying, A person would never complete a marathon if they kept going to the starting line everytime they wanted to give up", so with that each day that you want to give up think of a reason to keep moving. Its a LIFESTYLE change and it takes patience and encouragement, which is what you have in MFP.
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Keep positive, slow and steady will win the race. I have an inspirational friend her at MFP who says "If I don't hit the target today, tomorrow is a brand new opportunity to get it right". We are only human and will falter now and again. My weight loss is slow - approximately 0.5lbs a week, but it is happening. I have found that it is the simple things that work.
    1. Logging everything - you bite, you write - it will definitely make it register with you how many calories you are eating
    2. Keeping my diary open for others to see - makes me accountable.
    3. Move every day - even if it is only a 25 minute walk - and log it
    Remember, why you are doing this. There is plenty of support here, use it. Good luck.

10696830.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am so sympathetic! I try to remember how I feel if I do ignore the larger goal and pig out...afterwards- it does NOT feel better; in fact it feels worse as then you are angry with yourself. I would try doing the opposite- when I am feeling that way I go for a walk, job, hit the gym, or something else that I can feel productive about doing. Also, exercise has many benefits that will help you to actually feel better (endorphins and hormones and stuff). Good luck and hang in there! Also- embrace progress and screw the naysayers (probably just jealous anyway:)
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You really need to ask yourself why are you doing this. Are you doing it for other people? or because of your friend? Once you the answer to that question becomes you doing this for yourself than you will always let what others say discourage you.

Why I am doing this has never come into question for me... I want to be healthy. I'm 25 years old... Started off at 260 lbs. When I go to work I need at least 2 12oz red bulls to get through the day by the skin of my teeth... My back kills me , my knees hurt... IM 25 YEARS OLD... That's why I want to loose weight... I don't want to walk around in ridiculous clothes with my *kitten* hanging out... Plenty of fat girls do that.... Vanity is not the issue. I'm tired of being tired. This is one of those days where the tired ****-ness is trying to consume me. I appreciate the kind words... I already feel better. I think I was needing to explode and this place is awesome... because I can do that here. With people who understand and can appreciate what I'm going through. Thanks again. Feel free to add me... I'm sure there will be more days like these where I could use people like you guys to help motivate me. :-) Watching a documentary called Food INC... its a good watch. Thanks again guys.
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself added :)
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So i understand you, really i do. i have been in a funk since i lost my first 20 pounds. I even have people saying the same stuff to me. so you vent away, freek out and get ticke off enough to know that what you are doing is r ight for you. Ok back on the path to this great journey. Best of days to you!
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You really need to ask yourself why are you doing this. Are you doing it for other people? or because of your friend? Once you the answer to that question becomes you doing this for yourself than you will always let what others say discourage you.

Why I am doing this has never come into question for me... I want to be healthy. I'm 25 years old... Started off at 260 lbs. When I go to work I need at least 2 12oz red bulls to get through the day by the skin of my teeth... My back kills me , my knees hurt... IM 25 YEARS OLD... That's why I want to loose weight... I don't want to walk around in ridiculous clothes with my *kitten* hanging out... Plenty of fat girls do that.... Vanity is not the issue. I'm tired of being tired. This is one of those days where the tired ****-ness is trying to consume me. I appreciate the kind words... I already feel better. I think I was needing to explode and this place is awesome... because I can do that here. With people who understand and can appreciate what I'm going through. Thanks again. Feel free to add me... I'm sure there will be more days like these where I could use people like you guys to help motivate me. :-) Watching a documentary called Food INC... its a good watch. Thanks again guys.

Will definitely add you as a friend, we are here to help each other on this journey and we both will come into days as your having today. When days like today happen again think about all the things you wrote above and keep pressing toward your goal. I know it helps me get through my bad days, thinking about "why" I am doing this. I am so glad you feel better, makes me happy for you. You made a step today that others sometimes never do, you went seeking for encouragement and got it. Stay focused.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Please hang in there! And keep trying. We all have "those" days and feel frustrated and lack motivation and want to give up. At least I do! You are not alone. You need to focus on the long term goal: feeling stronger, healthier and lighter/smaller. It has taken me 15 weeks to lose almost 11 pounds! Some weeks I would lose 0.5 lb and then some weeks I would gain 2 lbs and want to kick my scale and pull my hair out! But I still keep at it, and if it takes me a year to lose 30 lbs, so be it, but I will get there eventually. And although it is nice and motivating to start out with a friend, quite often they are not as motivated and drop out (it has happened to me so often I finally gave up on that).

So you need to do this for yourself and make a plan, like scheduling your workouts and commiting to X number of cals per day. Track it on a calender or in a notebook. Don't overwhelm yourself with too much change right away. Commit to 4 weeks at a time. Thats how long it will initially take to make it a habit and a regular part of your life. And if you have issues with binging or cravings, then allow yourself one day a week off, where you don't log food or obsess about dieting and, within moderation, have some of your favorite foods, then go right back on your plan again the next day. If you slip up that is life and don't be so hard on yourself. It happens to all of us. Try to see it as a lifestyle (you can live with) not a sentance. Good luck!
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your loss! Water weight... what ever, a pound is a pound and you should be proud of every one of them! Second Welocme to MFP it's really awesome here and a great way to find support from like minded people. All of us are here to lose or gain something! I found wonderful people who I enjoy that inspire me every day! Third, I'm adding you now! let's do this. You got it!
  • Queenbec2
    Queenbec2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in a funk, but try and think how much better you'll feel this time next year. Think about how far you will have come. Would you rather look back and see the progress you've made, or think about how you shouldn't have given up? I get how you feel with back pain and just feeling miserable in your own skin. As far as friends go, IRL, no one can help me with this. I have a wonderful supportive husband, but the bottom line is IRL friends seem to discourage me. No one wants me to feel badly about myself, so they are always more likely to jump up and say positive things to me "oh you're FINE the way you are" "oh just eat the cookie, one won't hurt". Sometimes it seems like its innocent, but sometimes I wonder if its not that I'm more determined to make a difference and they get jealous. Hang in there. It is SOOOOO worth it.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of good advise here!!! Don't give up on yourself. I have lost weight on my own this time!!! Yes I have lost many times before and gained it back. But this time feels different!!! It's called eat less and exercise and I have turned into an exercise freak!! So I think you need to take yourself out for a good long walk when you feel upset or like eating. Listen to some good music! Remember IF HUNGER ISN'T THE PROBLEM - EATING ISN'T THE SOLUTION!!! Take it one day at a time...log you food and keep in touch with your MFP's! You will feel better before you know it!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    Every day is a new opportunity to be the best you that you can be!

I'm sorry you feel so down. Your friend could be a big source of motivation for you, but you can't depend on an outside element to keep you going. It's all psychological. You have to convince yourself how badly you want it. I am doing this on my own because my friends are all smaller than me. So they aren't into it that much...it's ok. Soon. I'll be running circles around them and they'll have to be the ones trying to keep up! ;)

Keep your chin up. We have all been there. One day at a time, one pound at a time (water or otherwise).
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for 10 days... I have been loosing weight.... but today I just woke up in a bad mood. Stresses are coming down on me and it's making it hard to keep focused on my goals. Every day before this I've been optimistic and gung-ho about losing weight... but today I'm so close to being like ... **** it. I know it's important to me, and if I do give up... I will hate myself tomorrow. I never realized how stressful situations make me want to eat... EVEN IF I'M NOT HUNGRY. The friend that I started this journey with just doesn't seem to be as into it as I am.... (In her defense... she weighs a good 50-60lbs lighter than me).... Everyone keeps saying the weight I lost is just "water weight"... I just feel like ****. I guess I'm just seeking some sort of understanding... or maybe I just need a place to freak out... either way... over and out...

I'm just appalled that people have been trying to discourage you like that. Deciding to change your life this way, and get healthier takes a lot of strength. Anyway, before long people will see the changes for themselves. If people don't have your best interests at heart, tune them out! :flowerforyou: