Scale or No Scale?

Options
Hey! So I just happened upon a scale today to measure my mass in my physics classroom for a lab we were doing...
I weigh 80kg. This was news to me, as I hadn't weighed myself in quite a while.

Now what I'm asking is how many of you use a scale at home?
I have a measuring tape and I used to measure my bhw to track progress, and that's something I'd like to continue doing, but should I get a scale as well?

I go to a gym, and I'm not sure if they have a scale or not, but if they do, would it be worth having one at home as well? I'm afraid I'd check it obsessively.

Do you find it motivating or obsessive? Just some opinions would be nice. Do you consider it vital to the weight loss process?

Replies

• hello0okitty
    hello0okitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i have to have a scale or i have NO CLUE how i'm doing
  • wyndwoman
    wyndwoman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    it can become obsessive IMO. I never weigh more than once a week. the truer test for me is inches (cm) lost.

i whip out the tape every couple weeks and see what's happening. and how are my clothes fitting?? that another big indicator for me.
  • scarlieoh
    scarlieoh Posts: 18
    Options
    Hmm. Well the thing with measuring is that it can be sort of time consuming compared to stepping on a scale, but that's probably a good thing since it's not obsessive.

the only difference is the accuracy of self-measurement compared to measuring your weight.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For me, the scale can be obsessive. I do weigh, but not more than once a week. If I start to get obsessive about the number (I tend to set a number I'd like to reach, then am thrown into a funk if I don't reach it), I put the scale away for a few weeks and really try to focus on the lifestyle. I log my food, do my exercise. In other words, do my best and forget the rest.
  • wanttolose2tone
    Options
    I weigh daily until I get fed up then make my husband hide the scales.
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself once every 2 weeks and i've been doing it since 2011 which is when i started losing weight. sometimes i weigh myself once a month. for me im satisfied with just seeing the difference on my body myself...dont need the numbers :tongue:

so im not obsessed with scales but i HAVE to have one.
  • ForTheWin88
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for the add -

Honestly, in the beginning I get a little obsessive. The scale tips in both directions so it's not helpful at all. You can freak yourself out if it tips the other way and what we don't take into consideration right away is that your weight can fluctuate due to a number of reasons. What you weigh first thing in the morning isn't the same as afternoon or evening, it depends on your water weight at the time etcetc.

But if you're set in a routine with your diet and exercise, once every 1-2 weeks can help. Once a week has made me keep my *kitten* in line!

BUT! if you're comfortable just seeing the inches shred and that's enough motivation to keep you going - well, if its not broke don't fix it! I personally don't measure because its counter productive for me. I rather use a scale to keep me motivated. Just do what works for you!
  • heartkermit
    heartkermit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I own a scale but as other have said I try not to go on it more that once a week.
    I really need to get a tape measure though.

Good Luck