I think crystal lite is part of my problem?

Options
I drink almost a gallon of crystal lite ice tea everyday. After watching the tips of the five worst things for our body- I think the crystal lite hes been one of my possible issues over the past few year. What do people think?

Replies

• andreaeose777
    andreaeose777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yup that stuff is terrible for you. Do some more research on it, its quite astounding the number of diseaeses artificial sweetners are linked too.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just curious, how does crystal light correlate with one of the worst things for our bodies?

I drink usually 16 oz of crystal light a day, a gallon does seem like a lot, but idk!
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    i use the little crystal lite packets for bottled water- 2 a day sometimes. Doesnt seem to be an issue for me.... hope you get the answer you need!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I get straight up sick if I drink a lot of crystal light. It really messes with my tummy.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that I, personally, can't handle the artificial sweetner. It makes me suffer intense migraines. I have often heard diet drinks keep you from losing weight though... :flowerforyou:
  • Atrayu
    Atrayu Posts: 1
    Options
    From all the things I have read over the years, artificial sweeteners interfere with fat burning. Something about the liver having to filter them out. One way to find out, cut out the crystal lite for a week and see what happens.
  • sabram2147
    Options
    Some say that any artificial sweetner is treated by the body the same as sugar.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it since the early 80's with no problems..
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key to almost everything and a gallon sounds like a lot. You could make regular unsweetened iced tea and mix the two (less artificial ingredients) or dilute it slowly so you're getting in more water and less crystal light. It's probably better than drinking soda or even diet soda all day but too many artificial sweeteners and other junk can mess up your system over time.
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    what i did almost 3 weeks ago...I cut out diet soda (was having about 5 cans a day)...then I decided to cut out everything that had Diet or Light in it (because after reading the labels most of those things contained Aspartame)

Im not a dietician but have read it can make you real bloated.
    Ive noticed a difference.

I now drink water or unsweetened tea with Stevia.

Hope this helps.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try something else. Special K protein/fiber powder 5 g's of each mix with water. Water with lemon or lime wedges is zero calories. I can't think of any reason to drink a gallon of anything a day can be good. Even if it's just water, depending on your body weight, you are at like double what you really need daily to satisfy hydration requirements under most ordinary circumstances.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It could be. I found that diet soda was making me hungry and I usually paired up the sweet addiction with salt and fat (i.e. burger and fries). It was a terrible cycle for me. The easiest way for me to break it was to give up diet soda. I switched over to Crystal Light and I've been doing much better, but everyone is different. Some people think the fake sugar doesn't affect them, but I know it does affect me.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    what i did almost 3 weeks ago...I cut out diet soda (was having about 5 cans a day)...then I decided to cut out everything that had Diet or Light in it (because after reading the labels most of those things contained Aspartame)

Im not a dietician but have read it can make you real bloated.
    Ive noticed a difference.

I now drink water or unsweetened tea with Stevia.

Hope this helps.

after 3 weeks, have you noticed any change in your weight loss? You say you noticed "a difference", what difference did you notice?
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    I dont retain water. I have the ever so popular mommy tummy but I always looked like I had just had Thanksgiving dinner.
    Im thin, dont get me wrong...but my belly would not budge.

When I dropped the soda (and boy was it hard...I have been drinking diet since I was 15) I noticed Im getting more definition in my abdominal area. I do yoga, run, zumba, and am going to add spin as of tomorrow...so its nice to see the exercise pay off in the tummy area..not just everywhere else.

This may not be the case for everyone, but I can tell you I dont miss it anymore. My mom was drinking diet soda but I thought it was tea, and when I took a sip it literally tasted bad. And I have never been one to pass up a cold, diet fountain drink of any kind :))
  • roanne70
    roanne70 Posts: 10
    Options
    Stevia is awesome and natural. Tru lemon and crystal light have the packets for bottled water with stevia now. Try that.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'd have to see real scientific studies showing that artificial sweeteners are harmful. So far all the studies that I've heard of say that artificial sweeteners, except saccharin, are safe for human consumption.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was drinking Nestea juice shakers since I started MFP in January. That's about 3 1/2 months now. I drank them seriously diluted. Then I noticed they became less diluted. Then I realized I was going thru 3 packets a day from just one. For a little change up, I bought that new MiO stuff. That very day I started feeling really sick. Nauseous, dizzy, tired. Went on a weekend trip where I didn't bring any. I just drank plain water. Started to feel better, so I thought maybe I had a flu or something. Then I got back home and started drinking MiO and Splenda sweetened drinks again. BAM. Sick all over again. Then I started reading all about Splenda toxicity. Not a good thing. Serious side effects. Sometimes they happen immediately, sometimes over time. One of the most common side effects is bloating, diarreah, and nausea. I read a story about a guy who is planning on suing Splenda because he now has proof that sucralose makes him lose his hair. HAIR LOSS! Needless to say, I have stopped with the Crystal Lights, MiO, Splenda, everything fake. My cals are up from sugar in my coffee, but I'm not sick anymore. It's been 48 hours since my last drink of Splenda. Funny how I see all of these topics being posted about the dangers of Splenda all of a sudden. I guess that's kind of like how you buy a new car, and then you see them all over the road.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i'm cautious about artificial things, but i put it in my body anyway.
    a gallon of crystal light a day though, that sounds like it may be bad.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Crystal light is less than 5 calories and no caffiene. DOn't believe everything you hear and 1/2 the things you read. Ihave been drinking it for years and I am still here aND AM IN GOOD HEALTH!
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with all these responses. I have felt so much better after cutting out all artificial sweeteners since February. I think it's helps my water retention actually!