Natural Appetite Suppression Questions

Options
Is there anyone who is dieting the old fashion why (with no assistance such as diet pills)? If so how do you over come/suppress/minimize cravings? I am a cereal addict lol and it is so hard to only eat cereal once a day (breakfast) when you are use to eating it for almost every meal. I found Green Tea to be the best solution for now but I can't stand the taste, maybe because I drink it straight (w/o any sugar or honey) because if I add honey or sugar on most days it will push me pass my sugar goal. Advice please:-)

Replies

• gunlock11
    Options
    well, I am a biscuit addict. so to totally suppress the craving is to eat some. But mind you the type of cereal you eat and also the quantity you take. A bowl per serving could be change into 3 servings in different snack time. Hope it somehow helps though.
  • turbogirl01
    Options
    Try Truvia in your tea...Natural sugar substitute, 0 cals, and it's wonderful. I use it in my green tea (and tons of other things) and I LOVE it!! It's not super expensive, and it's sweeter than sugar so you don't need very much for things :D
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Change WHAT you eat, and the quantity you need will decrease. Try using lots of green, fibrous veggies as "filler" and you will be surprised at how full you can feel off so little calories!
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat eggs, soup, avocados, greek yogurt, oatmeal, apples, beans and lentils, nuts,

Eggs - For just 70 calories, an egg delivers more than 6 grams of protein, says Shelley McGuire, Ph.D., a spokesperson for the American Society for Nutrition. One study found that women who ate eggs for breakfast lost more weight than those who had bagels with the same number of calories, possibly because all that protein kept their hunger in check. The egg eaters reported more energy too!

Soup - Studies show that foods containing a lot of water can keep you feeling full. And when you start a meal with soup, you activate brain signals that begin to tell you you’ve had enough to eat—so that by the time you finish your second course, you’ll be satisfied. “Go for a broth-based bowl with fiber-rich veggies like celery and spinach,” says Amy Jamieson-Petonic, R.D.

Avocados - Their healthy monounsaturated fats may help slow the rate at which your stomach empties, says McGuire. They’re also loaded with folate, potassium and vitamin E, and early research suggests that foods containing these nutrients may be more satiating than others.

Low-fat Greek Yogurt - Seventeen grams of protein in a 6-ounce container (that’s more than you get in four slices of turkey!) means major hunger control.

Oatmeal - All that filling fiber (4 grams per half-cup serving in the old-fashioned variety; 3 grams in the instant) helps this breakfast stick to your ribs. It also provides a surprising 4 to 7 grams of protein (the steel-cut kind typically has the most)—and that’s before you add milk. For extra staying power, toss in blueberries, which have 4 grams of fiber per cup.

Apples - “Only 80 calories, but one can be as filling as a meal because of the 4 grams of fiber and high water content,” says Jamieson-Petonic.

Beans and Lentils - Eat them and you may end up eating less of everything else. “They’re high in protein—about 7 grams per half cup—and high in complex carbohydrates, the type that take longer to break down,” says McGuire.

NUTS - “They have the perfect combination of fiber, protein and fat,” says Jamieson-Petonic. The nutritionists’ faves? Walnuts, almonds and pistachios. Just stick to an ounce or less to avoid calorie overload.

Avoid cookies, crackers, croissants, those processed, sugary carbs tend to cause hunger to rebound. Pick whole-grain snacks instead. (Low-fat popcorn counts!)
    Avoid alcohol - Booze can spike your appetite
    Avoid Refined Cereals - Many are high in hunger-producing sugar and little else. Look for protein and fiber like in Kashi GoLean.

Sources: Personal experience, nutrition education, and research.